Pacquiao's best strategy to win

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by mexican wedding shirt, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

In my opinion, straight left hand to Floyd's BODY immediately followed by the right hook up top.

2. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

In my not so humble opinion, best way to catch Floyd with that punch is as a counter (or check hook) when Floyd is being aggressive. Not need to reinvent the wheel that's how Judah and Corley caught him.

3. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Again...I get it. I'm asking. How you make that work?

You're a couple inches shorter and have a 5 inch reach disadvantage. How do you get Floyd positioned where you're not throwing those shots from a mile away?

What's the plan for that?

BTW...here's a hint...when Floyd's looking to stab him to the body with his jab or later with the straight right that's when the counter right hook comes into play. If Manny leads with that shit Kevin Hart's screaming "you wanna go night night" before Lampley can pick his jaw off the floor.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  4. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I can guaran fuckin tee you that Floyd's reflexes are not the same in 2015 as they were in 04-06.

I believe he can be caught with the right type of combination nowadays.

Floyd has pitched 2 shut outs in the last few years - over Guerrero and Canelo. Canelo is notoriously slow-footed, and Guerrero is notoriously slow overall.

Pac represents the fastest fighter Floyd has fought in a LOOONGG time.

5. Destruction and Mayhem

Agreed.

Still Muzse's point about the reach and height is valid. Floyd's movement coupled with his height and reach causes pacquiao to have to expose himself to punches to get his own off.

6. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

My thoughts exactly. Though I still think the straight left is key, just thrown off center. It's so fast and straight, it does a great job at neutralising a reach advantage.

7. Muzse

Home Page:
    For the record X...if you keep making me defend Floyd I'll be forced to post pictures of Tyson lip syncing to "Push It" in those tight leather pants.

8. Destruction and Mayhem

I have to tell you, Floyd is looking for the KO in this fight. I just feel it. He wants to make a statement. He's been studying every hole in Pacquiao's defence. Of Course at 38, Floyd will not physically be able to do the things he did in his 20s, but mentally he's in the pre-Corrales, pre-Gatti, pre-hatton mindset. He'll be as sharp as he could be at this age and his style doesn't age as quickly as pacquiao's style does...as we all know (ask Hopkins).

9. mexican wedding shirt

I get what you're saying too, for sure, Floyd can be got with fast counters. But it just doesn't seem like a viable strategy, getting a guy to lead, when you're at a 5 inch reach disadvantage. How is he going to do it?

I agree with the countering part, I just think his best shot is to be an "aggressive counter puncher", Duran or Golovkin style. Come forward, feint, move side to side, and counter Floyd's counters, move to the side of the shoulder roll, whack him with the straight left, etc.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  10. mexican wedding shirt

Xplosive, good point on Floyd's speed of thought by the way. It's a big part of speed, in addition to raw physical speed. Even though Manny's raw velocity is faster, Floyd thinks and reacts faster than anyone in the sport.

11. mexican wedding shirt

I scored the Maidana fight the same, but overall I think you just give Floyd too much credit. No way he won 8 rounds against Castillo, and 10 rounds against Cotto. Both fights were legitimately close, just as much as the first Maidana fight.

I think people tend to score some rounds for Floyd when they shouldn't, because he almost always LOOKS better than his opponent, even if his opponent has forced the pace and landed more punches. Everything he does in the ring is so perfect and neat, he tends to look better than his opponents even in a round they're winning.

12. Muzse

Home Page:
    I just realized...I can't think of the last full mayweather fight I've seen. Probably the Cotto fight.

Didn't waste time with Guerrero

After 6 rounds didn't bother with the rest of Canelo...Canelo had no chance

Watched the first 6 of the first Maidana fight and thought...wtf were people talking about

Only watched round 3 of the Maidana rematch

13. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

That Could Be Floyd's DOWNFALL...

Since Moving Up from Lightweight, Pac's Been @ his Best as the COUNTER Puncher...No, Pac Isn't Terribly Good Off his Backfoot, but Side to Side, Darting In/Out, Dude has been EXCELLENT...vs DeLa, Hatton, Cotto, Margarita for Example...Granted, it Goes w/Out Saying NONE of those Men are the BOXER Floyd is...But that's just It, by Actively LOOKING for the KO, Floyd will Be More FIGHTER than Boxer...

Sure, Being the Aggressor WORKED vs. Corley, Zab and Shane, but NONE of them are as DYNAMIC as Pac is, Offensively...Floyd had Better STAY in his Lane...If he Seeks a KO, he'd Better Take it the Way Marquez Acquired it, by COUNTERING Pac...Bringing the Fight TO Pac Makes Floyd More Susceptible & Puts More PRESSURE On his Legs, Which HAVEN'T Looked Floyd-Like in SEVERAL Bouts Now...

On May 2nd, Manny Pacquaio WILL Be the Younger, More Athletic Fighter...Floyd the SMARTER, Bigger Fighter...He'd Better Play it SAFE, like he Always Does...

REED:mj:

14. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

agREED

We've heard this idea about looking for a knockout to "make a statement" many times before. It doesn't matter how big a fight is or how long overdue a KO win is boxers at that age and experience level tend to stick with what's working. If it comes it comes. A Mayweather knockout isn't out of the question but I think if it occurs it would be because of a combination of his skills and ability to capitalize on a Pacquiao mistake. It won't be because he made it some personal priority.

15. Punk

Punk "Twinkle Toes" McJack Staff Member

I can't see Floyd looking to be aggressive and going for the KO at all. He'll play it safe to see if he can get Pac's rhythm and time him coming in, that's it.

And PAC ain't gonna sit outside on twinkle toes looking to box.....he'll look to work his way in then unload. He needs to hurt Floyd and that won't be easy.

If Pac can't get Floyd to the ropes, he"ll get potshotted all night in centre ring.

16. Double L

Double L Book Reader

People say pac can't be greedy but that's exactly what he needs. He needs to be greedy. He needs to finish exchanges and throw 4 and 5 punch combinations.

17. Punk

Punk "Twinkle Toes" McJack Staff Member

Yep. High work rate, executed with precision. No dumb stuff rushing in.

18. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I think people are picturing the JMM KO. It was a fight he was winning and then walked directly into a fight ending shot. There will have to be a fine line between aggression and "greed" for Pac to win IMO.

19. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Historically though pbf has done well at beating smaller guys. Especially shorter ones. Let's hope pbf fights at least an averaged height welterweight or better yet a tall one before he retires. Although the last semi tall one he faced didn't work out so well for him (odh).

20. Double L

Double L Book Reader

I agree but he can't form his whole strategy around not getting knocked ouy. He can't win by playing it safe. He's too short and small for that.

21. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

What's Constantly OVERLOOKED is the PRICE Marquez had to Pay, to KO Pac...People Focus on the End Result, like it was a 1-Sided Fight or Something, when in Actuality, Pac Put a LOT of Hurt on Marquez...

While Floyd's TOUGHER than Given Credit for, he AIN'T Gonna Endure All that Marquez Did, to END Pac...Marquez had OVER 40 Shared Rounds w/Pac, to PERFECTLY TIME him Coming In...

It's NOT a Given that Floyd, Especially @ his Age, Can Replicate That...

22. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Yep.

23. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

While that's all true Mayweather is one of the best ever at making adjustments on the fly. Marquez did have to take a lot of fire to get in his own shots but he also doesn't have the reflexes or defensive abilities Floyd possesses to avoid the incoming in the first place. Marquez is an excellent counter puncher but not a defensive wizard.

24. Destruction and Mayhem

He wont have to.

25. Destruction and Mayhem

To elaborate on this point a little more...

You saying this is like saying: "Castillo had to endure 9 rounds of punishment before finally dropping Corrales in the tenth round....Floyd aint gonna endure all that to end Corrales". Guess what Floyd DIDN'T have to endure all of that to end Corrales. Why? Because Floyd aint Castillo. Floyd aint Marquez either...

26. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

That Remains to Be Seen...

PRIME Floyd Wouldn't Have to, but Floyd AIN'T that Guy Anymore...

27. mexican wedding shirt

Agreed. The Chico fight was peak Floyd, highly mobile and agile, against a lead footed fighter.

Floyd's defense is still amazing, but he is far less mobile now, and fights in the pocket most of the time.

28. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Guess What Else???...

Floyd AIN'T the Same Virtuoso Performer that Embarrassed an Undefeated Chico Corrales...Sorry, but he Ain't THAT Dude Anymore...

Your Posts have Been Predicated on What Floyd USED to Do, yet in Consecutive Bouts w/a VERY Basic, Rudimentary Opponent (The Likes of Which he'd have CLOWNED in his Heyday), Floyd STRUGGLED...Even w/a Safeguard Ref in the 2nd Fight...

Floyd was More Accustomed to and Better Prepared for Maidana, Yet Even w/Floyd STARTING that Bout Stronger than he Did their 1st Go Around, he Eventually Hit a WALL...In the Middle of the Fight, Floyd Got to a Point where his Legs WOULDN'T Allow him to Be as Mobile as Before & He Took a FEW Rounds Off...

Floyd WON'T Be Afforded that Luxury vs. Pacquiao...Sorry...

For the 1st Time in a Loooooooooooong Time, Floyd Will Be Facing a Guy AS Athletic @ Worst (REED Actually Thinks Pac is MORE Athletic @ this Stage of their Careers), w/a High Workrate & a Pressure Fighter's Mentality...Oh Yeah, AND he's a Souf' Paw, the 1 Style that has Exposed what Little Vulnerability we've Seen in Floyd, More than Any Other Style Has...

w/Out Making a Prediction (Yet), REED is Expecting THE Most Competitive Prizefight Floyd Mayweather's EVER Been In...

REED:shadow:

29. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Marquez is BRAVER than Floyd Though...In the Sense that he's Willing to INTENTIONALLY Hang in the Pocket Loooooooooooooooooooooonger than Floyd Will, in Hopes of Landing a Counter...

30. mexican wedding shirt

I didnae realise you hadn't even made a prediction yet REED.