Pacquiao's best strategy to win

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by mexican wedding shirt, Apr 24, 2015.

1. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Just Waiting on the Weigh-In...

In Particular, How Does Pac's BODY Look, Given the Testing Requirements & his DEMEANOR, a Day Removed???...Also, Floyd's Behavior when he and Pac Look Eye to Eye???...

Sometimes Floyd's All Business @ Weigh-Ins, Other Times he Tries to Make a Scene...Pac's REACTION to Any Histrionics Could Be Telling Also...

In the End, it's All PSYCHOLOGICAL Bullshit, Still, REED Wants to Get the COMPLETE Picture Before Posting his Prediction...

REED:mj:

2. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Fair point.

He isn't the same fighter now that he was vs Corrales. He's still faaaaaaaar more difficult to hit than Marquez though and much faster on the counter. Floyd wouldn't need to run to counter pac to death. We'll see in a week or so i guess...

3. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Floyd has been hurt by lesser punchers than Pac.. speed is what bothers him, especially early, and Pac has that in spades. I think Pac has the capability to hurt Floyd, but probably not to finish him.

Having said that, I could see Floyd dropping 2-3 early rounds and then Pac taking enough rounds later in the fight to edge it, albeit controversially (a la Marquez). I don't think that's likely, but who knows.

But considering that Floyd is 38 and Pac is the best fighter he's ever fought, one way or another, Pac is very live in this fight.

4. Hex-One

Hex-One "Twinkle Toes" McJack

None of your business
    If Manny Pacquiao can bring back the speed/power that he showed in 2009-2010 He will have a real shot in beating Mayweather. I havent seen that explosiveness that he needs in some time. Also I never seen anyone recover from the type of ko loss he suffered. I hope he beats Mayweather but it's hard to pick against him.

5. Destruction and Mayhem

No doubt.

6. Destruction and Mayhem

For me the only question is father time. If the maidana fights were indicative of time catching up to floyd (and not a styles or motivation thing) then Pacman has a good shot of winning. But if floyd can roll back the clock for this fight, like Hopkins did in the Tarver and pavlik fights for example, Manny has very little shot.

7. D MAN

D MAN "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Disagree with the high work rate / hit anything strategy. Pacman needs to box carefully like DLH and hit quickly and with power like Zab did. Don't force the issue too much, let Floyd lead a little too even if it means take a few extra shots, to get him out of his comfort zone. Set a pace that can be fought the same in the last 3 rounds as the first 3 rounds and try to win a close decision.

8. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Agreed, that's why it surprises me that a few people seem to think Floyd is going to win every round and stop him. I'd be genuinely surprised if that happens. Pacquiao might be smaller, but like you said he is clearly the best fighter Floyd has ever fought, even age 36.

Speaking of age, I do think it's pretty amazing Floyd is 38 and still possibly the best fighter in the world. Thinking back about watching fights throughout the years, 38 always seemed proper old for a boxer, with most fighters that age being very washed up or shot.

I guess times are changing, age doesn't mean as much as it used to be, plus Floyd's style ages well.

And Pacquiao isn't exactly a slouch himself, for a 36 year old.

9. mexican wedding shirt

But when has that ever worked, other than Oscar, who is like 4 inches taller than Pacquiao, with a 6 inch reach advantage? :lol:

You're basically asking him to outbox Floyd, one of the best pure boxers ever, even though he is 2 inches shorter with a 5 inch reach disadvantage. Speed advantage or not, doesn't seem like a very realistic strategy.

He doesn't want to charge in face first, throwing caution to the wind, that's beyond obvious - but he does need to be aggressive and apply intelligent pressure, lots of feints and aggressive counterpunching.

10. mexican wedding shirt

Sure, that's fair enough. It's difficult to know how much of a role stuff like that plays, but sometimes I like to gauge their body language and behaviour at the weigh in too.

11. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

After recently re watching some of their fights I feel even stronger for Floyd dominating

Watch Marquez, the Bradley fights, algeri

Marquez almost put him in a PINE BOX, he couldn't stop Bradley or algeri and people think he is going to steam roll Floyd? Lol

12. D MAN

D MAN "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I know it sounds weird and is basically impossible but I think out-speeding Floyd in a medium paced fight is the best shot. of the few rounds that Floyd has lost clearly in his career, most weren't high pressure high volume work rate, but rather crisp shots where the opponent is willing to 'box' with Floyd to get some openings from him.

13. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    I think the overall standard of thought about this one has been pretty high thus far.

Normally it is just "Bang kick him to shit tomato can bum yo yo yo" but this time people are having a good think about it, one way or the other.

:bears:

14. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

This used to be the norm on here like 10-12 years ago.

15. Destruction and Mayhem

That's only because I'm here. I inspire intelligent dialogue. Once i leave watch this place go to shit again. lol

16. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

:lol: :lol:

We have had 4-5 weeks of intelligent build-up for this one.

Before the fight was announced, people felt free to post any old junk safe in the knowledge the fight was never going to happen :lol:

17. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Best strategy - volume, variety, intensity. Try to steal as many rounds as possible early before Floyd inevitably makes his adjustments. I don't like his chances personally, it aint 2010 anymore.

18. mexican wedding shirt

Agreed, how good of a chance do you give him?

As I've said many times, if he can pull out a vintage Pacquiao performance (high volume, variety, intensity), and not fight at Floyd's pace, he has an excellent chance. Unfortunately I just don't think Pacquiao is that fighter anymore.

Unlike say, Roy, Pacquiao has done very well IMO to adapt his style and become more of a skilled boxer, but I obviously don't think a "boxer" with a 2 inch height, and 5 inch reach disadvantage is the style to beat Floyd.

19. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

I think his best chance is to retire and go grow papayas in panama

20. Double L

Double L Book Reader

One scenario I could imagine is pacquiao managing to hurt pbf early before pbf can adjust and pbf goes into defensive mode in response. In a situation like this I could envision pacquiao taking a decision. Not a likely scenario but an imaginable one.

21. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Fuck this shit fight. I actually might not see it live. My go-to guy for big ppv fights is going to be out of town. The undercard is terrible. The main event fighters are now no better than top 3 p4p, maybe lower than top 5. Ward and Rigondeaux are better. Wlad is more dominant and probably better right now. Maybe even Kovalev and GGG are better than both of these guys.

I so wish this fight had occurred when it first got serious consideration. Pacquiao is going to win this close, not that it really matters. If Floyd wins, not anywhere near the resume boost it would have been. PEDs are the sport's scourge and both of these guys are apparently scourgey.

22. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Is Bayless reffing?

23. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Does anyone else have trouble believing show time's punch stats when it comes to pbf? Would be interesting to see how his numbers on showtime compare to his numbers on compubox. To me they seem unbelievably high fight after fight. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they were bogus.

24. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Watching the second Maidana/PBF fight...amazing how cleanly Maidana is landing. But worst thing is Bayless....absolutely dirty/fixed refine on bayless' s part...breaking them in the middle of exchanges any time pbf is in a bad position....seriously has me wondering if pacquiao can get a fair shake....

25. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

As Neil said earlier, Pacquiao doesn't have a mauling style so Bayless will REALLY have to go out of his way to interrupt his fight plan.

26. Double L

Double L Book Reader

No but he will be looking to land multiple shots when he gets close, something pbf may decide to combat by grabbing pacquiao at which point he can be assured the action will be restarted.

Plus, if bayless is in the bag for pbf, he's in the bag, which means whatever he can do to aid pbf he will do. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what that could be other than breaking them early but I do know he called a completely bogus knock down against pacquiao in the mosley fight and also took a bogus point from maidana.

27. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    Does Bayless affect your prediction double?

28. mexican wedding shirt

If Pacquiao hurts him once, Floyd will recover and and the fight will continue as normal. When has Floyd ever demonstrated anything to the contrary?

At best, it will swing the round in Pacquiao's favour. As far as hurting Floyd, if that's the plan, he better actually knock Floyd down with plenty of time in the round, and finish him off.

When Floyd has been hurt (Corley, Mosley) he's recovered and dominated the rest of the fight. In the close fights he's had, he hasn't even been hurt. He's been pressured and stifled, and not allowed to get into his rhythm, or he's been outsped with southpawness (Judah). Judah did hurt him too of course, but it was basically a flash KD and didn't have much bearing on Judah being ahead at the halfway point.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  29. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    I'm sure my pick will remain Floyd will but I will a little better about Manny's chances if i see that dumb-looking grin of his during the ring-walk.

The stupider and longer the grin, the better his chances to win.

30. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    the jab is a good punch to do