Pacquiao's best strategy to win

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by mexican wedding shirt, Apr 24, 2015.

1. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Corley imo didn't have him hurt that bad, and he's also the worst finisher ever (remember when he had a drained Cotto wobbling all over the ring and couldn't do shit?). Mosley.. well, he's Mosley, and Pacquiao is Pacquiao. Pac wants to win this fight bad and if he gets it in his grasp, he's going to go all out for it.

2. who?

who? Undisputed Champion

3. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

I can't wait for this fight. It's the last stand for both fighters. Both have achieved GREAT things in boxing....already guaranteed to go down in history as ATGs. They'll give it all they'd got in this one. Pacquiao desperately wants to erase that KO loss to Marquez by being teh first man to beat Mayweather...and Floyd wants to silence his critics who claimed he's been scared of Pacquiao. Both are look to make statements and thusly it will be a tremendous fight. Trust me.

4. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Funny enough, the worst I've seen Floyd hurt was at the end of one of the early rounds in his last fight against Maidana. It was a punch at the bell...right hand right down the middle and Floyd almost lost his legs. I think he was even more shaken up by that punch than he was against Mosley. Second round against Mosley proved how strong Mayweather's resolve is though. The first right hand from Mosley (and straight right hand right on the button) which caused the "oooos" and "aaaas" from the crowd bothered Floyd but didn't really hurt him....but the second right hand was an overhand right thrown with all of the muster that Shane had in him. It hit Floyd when Mayweather was off balance and in an awkward position. That was the kind of punch that knocks people the fuck out....overhand right to the temple when people are out of position and don't see it coming. That should have, at the very least, knocked Floyd down. For him to recover from that within seconds and then have enough to force Shane on the defensive proves that Floyd is extremely hard to knock out. If he was in any way chinny, that situation would have exposed it. I don't see Pacquiao really hurting him. I mean a flash knockdown is always possible given Pac's fast hands and the fact that fighters are never expecting punches coming from the "wrong" side...but I don't think Pacquiao's punches are as heavy as Shane's, Cotto's or even Maidana's. Pacquiao relies more on accumulation of punishment to get you out of there and I don't see the punishment accumulating based on Floyd's defense and ring generalship.

5. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

It is pretty tempting to pick Pac based on how much Floyd has aged.. 2007 Floyd likely doesn't break a sweat in beating the piss out of Maidana. But I'm betting old Floyd > old Marquez

6. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

old floyd better than old marquez and old floyd better than bradley by a long shot

7. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
  8. LOK

you know honestly the best thing Pac could do is NOT pressure right away.. fast in and out but not a super aggressive rush

9. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    The best thing Manny can do is punch him in the face until he is no longer conscious.

10. Double L

Double L Book Reader

I think the most hurt pbf was was against Corely. But in terms of repeated, consistenly landed shots? Probably was Maidana. Never seen pbf get hit that much. And that's with bayless bailing him out at every clinch. Imagine if maidana had been allowed to wear....you know....the type of glove he wore in every other fight he's had success in? You know...Maidana as advertised. Nah. Not for pbf. Maidana's ability to change up his offense and throws fighter's defense off is hugely unrecognized.. especially by those calling him a scrub.

11. Punk

Punk "Twinkle Toes" McJack Staff Member

Just been rewatching a bunch of recent fights - Mayweather is a LOT slower than he used to be. Still accurate with good timing, but I can see Pac slipping a lot of those punches if he's careful and then Mayweather finding it hard to react to Pac's handspeed, which is still very fast and unorthodox.

Hence I'm out on a limb saying Pac SD. If Mayweather sits on the ropes, he'll get peppered hard.

Mongoose vs snake.

12. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

What fights have you been watching Punk, just most of their recent ones?

13. Punk

Yeah the last 3 fights of each guy really.

Pac has slipped too, but in different ways. Mayweather is slower and less mobile, while Pac has primarily lost his killer instinct but has broadly retained his speed of hand and foot. Against Mayweather that's OK, because a killer instinct would be dumb anyway.

Mayweather hangs on the ropes a lot more and his workrate is lower, which spells danger if Pac is cagey and fast with a high workrate - he's notably faster than Mayweather.

14. mexican wedding shirt

Yeah Pacquiao is now this sort of nice, benign, happy go lucky guy, who just wants to chill out with his little dog - but is still a freak athlete :lol:

I do think he's lost more speed than you do though. He is far more flat footed these days, doesn't dash around much or move sideways extremely fast like he used to. Still less flat footed than Floyd though. Plus his straight left and combos used to be freakishly fast, now they're just "very fast".

Regarding the killer instinct, I do think you have to be brave with Floyd. That's basically what allowed Maidana the success he had. Basic, scrubby pressure and blind, dumb Bravery.

Fighters who are tentative just get picked apart, you can't outthink Floyd, that's his game, you have to outhustle him.

15. Punk

Yup, spot on. I reckon that's exactly what Pac is planning - he's not going for a KO in this, just looking to land all the time, over and over with quick shots, in and out.

16. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I think so too. Obviously the straight right hand is a key weapon against any southpaw but Floyd's jab to the body is what will prevent or at least disrupt those in and outs.

17. LOK

funny after i watched a bunch of fights over i feel even stronger for floyd

watching Pac look so-so vs bradley, knocking Algeri down but not finishing, getting knocked out COLD like a bum vs marquez... i just can't see him winning

what's funny to me is watch the build up to other fights.. leading up to the bradley fights pac and freddy were SUPER confident and he looked OK but not dominate...
    in my mind bradley and floyd are on totally different levels.. where as Canelo and Pac are not.. i think Canelo might win vs pac

18. mexican wedding shirt

:lol:

19. mexican wedding shirt

BTW Pacquiao looked better against Bradley, than Floyd did against an inferior fighter in Maidana.

20. Punk

I think so too. Floyd looked pretty damn ordinary against Maidana - in fight 1 he was complaining to the referee like a girl about being roughed up...... "what the hell is that man??", and did not look at all confident waiting for the decision - trying to smile, but actually cringe-smiling. He was getting hit over and over by slow-ass Maidana.

21. Punk

He fucked Algieri up and was beating the living crap outta Marquez before stupidly walking into a beautiful shot.

22. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Pac's feet looked good against Mosley. How long ago was that?

I too noticed pbf's hands are a lot slower. Maidana had success slipping a lot of pbf's punches. If maidana can, pac certainly can.

23. D.C. Pizza Master

D.C. Pizza Master Undisputed Champion

Head Pizza Chef and Manager
    I think Manny's best strategy is to come out really aggressive with a lot of punches against Floyd and try to hurt him and back him up in round 1. For me that is important because I think if he makes that statement it will take a couple of rounds for Floyd to come out of his shell a bit and start letting his punches go. ..After that this is where i think Floyd could become dangerous. Therefore, Manny is going to have to adapt once again and use his superior foot movement (one of his advantages) and box. He will have to pick his spots with quick flurries and for him hopefully Floyd covers up and doesn't look for a counter in between these quick flurries...usually floyd likes to counter you right before you hit him so its important for Manny to not jump in like he did with marquez because I guarantee Floyd is going to be thinking right hand counter shot all fight long. Manny can never dart in with his gloves down or without a jab...thats key..ask Ricky Hatton....I also think Manny cannot be afraid to take advantage of the moments that Floyd will lay on the ropes and invite manny in....i think Manny should avoid going to Floyds body because as of yet i have not seen that to be a weakness and it only opens up manny's chin to a quick floyd hook....i think when Floyd invites manny in he should throw a quick 2 fisted assault directly to mayweathers covered face even if its mostly blocked because its gonna still score you points and it prevents floyd from opening up his guard since as i mentioned he likes to get you right before you throw your shots or after....manny has to be in amazing condition, throw many more punches than floyd, and really show a lot of disclipine, and hope his chin can handle it when Floyd hits him flush...because that will happen for sure during the fight...thats what i feel

24. mexican wedding shirt

Too long ago to be particularly relevant, almost half a decade ago.

25. mexican wedding shirt

Agreed. I thought Floyd won, but you're right, he didn't look that confident, and it's not that surprising some people had Maidana winning.

26. mexican wedding shirt

LOK's a good dude, but it's best to not take him seriously on Pacquiao/Floyd matters. He thinks Pacquiao is a scrub, and that Floyd would beat Gaybox :kidcool:

27. Punk

Floyd would get knocked the fuck out by Gaybox.

28. mexican wedding shirt

He would. That's the one fight in all weight classes up to 160 that I don't think is realistically winnable for Floyd at all, he'd get battered in 1 sided fashion.

29. Punk

Gaybox would hunt Floyd down and destroy him like a deranged yet boyishly attractive terminator from hell.

30. LOK

LOL
    yeah.. he looked great right before Marquez backed up into the corner and he followed and got KNOCKED OUT COLD!

LOLOLOL