Peterson Prefers Rios REVENGE Over RE w/Khan...

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by REEDsART, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    A lot of guys did make a lot of money with King, they made so much money that they could afford to let him take half of it and still be rich. Boxers don't help themselves. Nigel Benn used to play that fucking card..."Duhh....what do I care how much Don King gets if I am makiing $3m...." dummies.

2. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

I think we agree?

Either way, to say you support boxers getting as much money as they can and bringing up King as an example to support said stance.. well, that makes you a fucking idiot. :lol:

3. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Yeah basically we agree. Thats not to say some guys didn't make money with King. One thing I hated was the Don King Bad - Bob Arum Good routine.

4. Double L

Double L Book Reader

I actually think boxers should be focused on what they make in absolute terms and not get caught up in percentages.

5. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

They are both scum. King was just a little more blatant about his criminal behavior. I just hope Don's death is long and painful.

6. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    king was the greatest promoter ever. a boxer could benefit from his promotional expertise financially as long as checks and balances were in place. obviously not allowing carl king or another crony to manage you was crucial.

7. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Agreed. 10% of a huge amount is a lot more than 100% of nothing :)

8. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

Many fighters didn't get that option.

9. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Don King made many of his fighters more money than any other promoter would have. Keith Holmes is a perfect example.

Fighters need to watch out for themselves, but thinking that Don King didn't make many of them better off than they otherwise would have been is wrong.

This is where you make a quip and throw in a lol face and ignore that I'm right. Here, I'll include one in this post so you just copy and paste. :lol:

10. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

Does Keith Holmes make up for the list of fighters he tricked/forced into longterm deals and ripped off in the 80s?

I would venture to say I know quite a bit more about this subject than you do mikE, otherwise you wouldn't be defending King here.

11. mexican wedding shirt

No. Obviously mikE is right in that King managed to monetise some fighters to the max, above what their market value should have been, but that's overshadowed significantly by the amount of fighters he's skanked the shit out of.

12. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

We'll never know because you never make any substantive posts.

Cory Spinks, Mayorga, James Page...we are talking about guys who were looking at minimum wage in boxing terms and Don King managed to turn them into draws.

I don't deny that Don King took advantage of many fighters, but that is (arguably) his job. He's the promoter, not the manager, not the fighter. He promoted, he made the pot bigger than it would have been with most, if not all, other promoters, and if you looked out for yourself you would be better off with King than with the other guys.

This isn't going to be true in all cases, but it is true in enough that the point stands and your dismissal (absent anything other than a proclamation, as usual) doesn't.

In the situations where King didn't live up to his part of the bargain, fighters could take him to court and win what they were entitled to. But I am pretty confident that those were the exceptions (at least legally), and not the rules.

13. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    King would make you a millionaire. If you had brains. But if you had brains, you wouldn't be a boxer in the first place, and if you still did, you wouldn't sign for King. Kind of a non-starter.

14. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Khan is starting to annoy me with his whining, in addition to his ugly, amateurish, "stay away from me" style. Plus he has gotten overrated as hell, like many fighters do when they have fast hands.

It'll be entertaining when he gets his ass kicked. I'm glad Peterson won, because I value boxing skills over athleticism and "leap amateurism".

15. mexican wedding shirt

Fast handed fighters definitely get overrated in a big way.

For 2 reasons.

1) It's such an obvious and flashy attribute.

2) Fast hands really do go a long way in boxing. Especially when coupled with reach. That's basically all Khan has.

16. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Trust me, trash-Khan WILL get his ass whupped again. The fucker isnt improving anymore than he already has. What we see is what we get at this point.

I dont think any top fighters will have too much trouble figuring out his style anymore. Handspeed only gets you so far. And what good is handspeed when you have shit footwork, and shit reflexes?

Khan has more beatings coming.

17. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    I've been over at boxingscene, ESB, and watching HBO too much.

I kid you not, I actually have heard more than a few people talk about Khan's "great footwork" and how he is "a complete fighter except for his chin".

18. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Yeah the boxingscene forum is pretty bad. Lol.

If Peterson faces Rios and loses to him, would GB allow Khan to face Rios?

19. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I think he's gonna be protected honestly.

At least until he gets either a Mayweather or Pacquiao fight, which by then he'll get his ass whipped again.

But I doubt Golden Boy will allow him to fight anyone too dangerous for short money.

20. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Amir Khan is to boxing what Glam Metal is to The Philadelphia Philharmonic Orchestra.

He is spandex, in a jar, wrapped in tinfoil, with some LED's and some tinsel.