Porter-Brook round-by-round

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Thurman is chinny. I'm fairly sure of it.

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Brook has been hurt in the past by non-punchers. Unlike non-skill having ass Porter, Thurman will land on Brook.

3. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I believe Thurman and Porter are about the same height. Thurman will have the same issue getting inside and held all night by Brook as well.

4. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    you mean "clearly out-boxed" as brother X calls it

5. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I like Figueroa. He's a world class fighter who does his best with what he has. I'd guess he's a mid-tier champ.

6. mikE

Anthony Dirrell looked much, much better this time around. Seemed to be much busier, less-inclined to get outhustled, and was throwing his punches with a lot more on them. If he is at his best, he will be a pretty dangerous fight for Ward because he hits hard enough to take most guys out. Bika is just such a tough bastard with a solid chin that it didn't happen.

7. mikE

Brook showed a lot of natural fighter in him...good timing, right punches being thrown at the right times, seemed extremely comfortable the entire fight. He wasn't perfect, of course. He had some rounds where he just didn't land his bigger, cleaner shots and then Porter's activity probably nipped the rounds, but usually he was the guy I would rather have been. Porter was responsible for a lot of the holding, too.

Porter is more like Paz or Mancini than Pryor. More like Larry Barnes, for that matter. Porter is good though. I wouldn't be overly confident choosing Brook over him in a rematch.

8. mikE

Oh yeah. Announcers show disdain toward sanctioning bodies during this telecast...nothing new there...but they demonstrate willful and harmful ignorance by claiming that their co-announcer, Danny Jacobs, is a world titlist.

He's not. When you not only let sanctioning bodies get away with bullshit, but actually use their bullshit in a self-serving way, you are perhaps equally culpable. The WBA's bullshit should be repetitively explained to the audience so that the audience can be disgusted with the WBA (not just sanctioning bodies as a group) or disgusted with broadcasters who demonstrate wilful ignorance like Showtime did re Jacobs.

9. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    //

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  10. Xplosive

Nah, Thurman's not quite as short as Porter. Porter's 5'5. Thurman has a good 2 inches on Porter. He's still shorter than Brook, but not by a considerable margin.

Brook is a dangerous fight for Thurman. He can hurt Thurman, no question about it. But I tend to favor Thurman.

I believe if it was Thurman in with Porter instead of Brook, that Porter would have been KO'd.

11. Xplosive

Figueroa is crap. I can't think of any top junior welter i'd take him over.

Broner sucks, and even Broner would pick him apart.

12. Wiser 1878

Wiser 1878 Bridgerweight Champion

Management/Health Care
    Porter is in the same position as Provo. Lost a very close decision that could have easily gone his way. In deep divisions that will move forward without him. They need to get back in with top competition and not dick around trying to build back up. I think we'll see both in some big fights again soon.

Thurman is about two inches taller than Porter. To me, his thing is he is untested. He has looked very impressive and heavy handed against B and B+ fighters. Lots of fighters have looked great up until that point. He has been impressive again Soto-Karass(gatekeeper), Chaves(solid contender but not an A fighter) and old man Diaz and the other old champion, Carlos Quintana. He needs to step up now.

13. Xplosive

"Old man" Diaz was coming off drawing with Porter, and damn near KO'd Khan. Thurman handled him without breaking a sweat.

Thurman is FAARRR from a young Tyson, but the fact remains, nobody at 147 is in a rush to fight him.

Guerrero already ducked him. Maidana ducked him years ago. We'll see if Brook ducks him as well. Thurman's willing to go to the UK.

What more do you want of him?