Roman Gonzalez vs Carlos Cuadras

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Neil, Jun 30, 2016.

1. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Wow, you do rate him a lot higher than me then. I think the opposite, I think Golovkin is far more dynamic, and Gonzalez is a basic pressure fighter in comparison. Golovkin has a better jab, better footwork, more power, an amazing knack of guiding people around the ring and into his punches, is highly adept at aggressive counterpunching and countering counters. He's just a much better, more skilled fighter.

In a head to head match up if they were the same size, I think Gennady would beat the absolute crap out of him. Lomachenko and Gondo would both school him, Ward would probably grapple and low blow his way to a decision, I'd pick Crawford and Spence over him too. I'd even pick this politician version of Pacquiao to beat him clearly.

I basically consider him the same level of fighter as Canelo. Very good, and top 10 P4P, but not even close to being the best fighter in the world.

If he fights Inoue, a guy that appears better than anyone else he's fought, he's going to get wrecked.

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Your post was pretty good until this statement. Current Pac is going life and death with a scrub like Jeff Horn.

P4P Choco would beat the ever living fuck outta the 2017 Pac.

Choco is better than Canelo, bro. I respect your opinions a lot, but I can't agree AT ALL on that one.

Choco is better than the Ginger at literally every single facet of boxing.

3. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

For Better or Worse, There's MANY Factors @ Play w/Lb for Lb...

Activity, Resume, Level of Dominance, # of Divisions Titles have Been Won In, Willingness to Fight the Best, Longevity and of Course, Who Beats Who, Among Others...

REED has No Problem w/the Brief Bit of Time Chocolatito was Regarded as "The Best Fighter in the World, Pound for Pound", Based on the Fact he Checked MORE of Those Boxes than Anybody Else, @ the Time...

REED:cool:

4. Xplosive

"Who beats who" ultimately trumps all on my lists.

In the late 90s/early 00s, even when Oscar, Mosley, and Tito were accomplishing a lot, I never had any doubt that Roy was still the best fighter in the world.

It's pretty hard to say CURRENTLY who's actually "the best" fighter in the world.

It APPEARS to be Loma, but we can't be certain yet.

5. mexican wedding shirt

I respect your opinions too, and I admit you've probably seen more of Gonzalez than me, but I've seen a decent number since the Yaegashi fight and I'm just not seeing this greatness that others do.

You might be right on Pacman I dunno, he looked pretty shot against Horn - but I think he underestimated him and considered him a joke, and on rewatching the fight, Pacquiao still won clearly.

6. mexican wedding shirt

I know some people see it differently to me, but I see it as a who beats who list and nothing more. Which is why I don't have a problem with someone putting someone relatively unproven and low on accomplishments, if they really do seem good enough to beat anyone else in the world - ie Lomachenko.

7. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Chocolatito's Beaten the Best of the Best, CONVINCINGLY, Over 3 Weight Classes...He's Won Titles in 4 Weight Classes...

Sure, he's Less Dynamic @ 115, but that's Because Dude's BEST Weight is Probably 108...

Chocolatito's Caliber of Opposition DWARFS Triple G's, as Does his Accomplishments...

REED Doesn't See the Level Superiority You're Affording Triple G Over Chocolatito @ All...

8. mexican wedding shirt

I agree with that, the current P4P list is much harder to call than usual.

9. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Agreed....Roy was the best and who beats who trumps everything.

I'm not convinced that Loma is the P4P though. He looks damned good but we haven't seen him in a real fight yet. Ward proved he can triumph over adversity and take on all styles and still win. I have him at the top spot. I'm also not convinced that Loma is better than Rigo p4p

10. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

agREED...

But Being a Roy Fan and WITNESSING the Likes of Dela, Sugar Shane and Tito Catapulting IN FRONT of Him on Lb for Lb Lists (by Fans AND Media), Showed there was More to It than JUST "Who Beats Who"...

For Better or Worse...

11. mexican wedding shirt

Ward lost the first fight to Kovalev 8 rounds to 4, that was an absolute robbery. Even Ward himself was shocked when the decision was announced.

Ward hasn't looked like the best fighter in the world in any of his recent fights, not at all. I was impressed he got the TKO win against Kovalev, but I think it was mainly down to Kovalev looking horrible and kind of losing the plot a bit mentally.

12. Xplosive

I agree with you, but Loma has been beating up guys who are made to order for him.

The Rigo fight will tell a lot. If Loma dominates, he's the P4P king with no arguments. Especially because I'm picking the upset.

mexican wedding shirt likes this.
  13. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Ward is a Perfect Example of WHY Pound for Pound Can't Be Sooooo Absolute as "Who Beats Who"...Not All the Time, Across the Board, Anyways...

Ward WASN'T Favored to Win the Super 6 and WASN'T Favored to Beat Kovalev in the Biggest Fight of his Life, Either...Yet Even While Being Fairly UNimpressive in Most Instances, Ward Continues to Win...

Prior to Kovalev-Ward, the CONSENSUS was "Winner is # 1 in the World, Pound for Pound"...Nonetheless, Even w/Ward Winning by STOPPAGE, he's Still Not Getting that Spot by the Same Consensus that would've Gladly Heaped it Upon Kovalev, had he Beaten Ward...

Looooooooooooong Story Short, Based on his STYLE, Ward's NEVER Going to Rank Highly in a "Who Beats Who" Sense...In Terms of Pound for Pound, his Resume and Accomplishments HAVE to Be Weighted Heavier...

14. Xplosive

Rigo is better than Loma P4P. Of that I have no doubt. Loma is the favorite purely on size, youth, and activity.

I agree with this whole post though.

I mean, even Spence has a win better than any on Loma's resume.

15. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    wow alvarez?? is gervonta davis as good as gonzalez?

16. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

Obviously my opinion may well change after the fight, but I've never considered either Rigo or Loma as clearly better than the other. Both are incredibly skilled in very different ways, and their achievements are nearly parallel with each other. I can see an argument for Rigo being better and I can see one for Loma, but there's no real daylight between them either way.

17. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Right. But nobody could have foreseen he would win by low-blow knock out.

18. Xplosive

Yeah, saying that Canelo is good as Chocolatito is like saying Keith Thurman is as good as Trinidad.

19. mexican wedding shirt

It's not really a big insult though is it? I mean it's not like Alvarez is some scrub. And if he is, why the hell are so many people picking him over Gennady with close to even odds?

Gonzalez is 46-1, Alvarez is 49-1 - with a better level of competition.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  20. mexican wedding shirt

Well yeah, I see your point. I mean, I've almost never been impressed by Ward tbh. The best he's looked is the Kessler fight, and even then he was unnecessarily dirty and headbutt happy. But somehow he does continue to win.

Still, that rematch was fucked up. Ward seemed on his way to winning anyway - that much is undeniable, Kovalev looked awful just jabbing etc - but that "knockout" was a blatant series of low blows. And the first fight I thought was a very clear loss for Ward.

I hope he's serious about fighting Joshua, that I would love to see :D

21. Xplosive

Nah. The Froch fight was Ward's apex. He was more polished in that fight than when he beat Kessler. It was enjoyable watching him beat the crap outta the loud mouth farmer.

Ward's never been fun to watch, and has no personality, but sadly.... he is a great fighter. A top 3 all time supermiddleweight along with Roy, and Coke Head Joe.

Prime Roy woulda beaten Ward clearly, but I'd make Dre a slight favorite over Coke Head Joe.

The other positive thing I can say about Ward is that he's an excellent ring side analyst. Probably every bit as insightful as Roy, but Roy will always be more fun to listen to because he actually has charisma.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

Ward seems like a good dude. He can't be serious about fighting Joshua though, surely.

23. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

There's No Upside WHATSOEVER for Joshua Facing Ward...

Makes as Much Sense as Lennox Lewis vs. Roy Jones Did...

REED

24. Xplosive

Yeah, Joshua-Ward ain't happening. Ward's just talking... he knows damn well that AJ would crush him quickly. But forget Ward.... AJ wouldn't take the fight, because it's an absolute NO WIN situation for him. If Ward even survived until the late rounds, it'd be seen as a loss for Joshua.

Totally hypothetical, but if the fight DID happen, and by some absolute miracle Ward won... it'd probably be the single biggest win in boxing history. It'd be so huge that you'd have to make a Ward a top 10 all timer, and he'd jump above Floyd and Roy all time.

Won't ever happen, but just saying...

25. Xplosive

It makes even LESS sense than Lewis-Roy.

If by some MIRACLE Lewis lost to Roy, he could always have said that age beat him as much as Roy did. Plus, with a win, Roy would have been viewed as the greatest ever by a wide margin... so Lennox would have been forgiven.

There's NO excuse Joshua could make for losing to Ward, considering he's in his physical prime, unlike Lewis, and considering that Ward is PAST his prime and isn't held in nearly as high regard as Roy.

26. Destruction and Mayhem

word.

I absolutely DETEST these silly proposed matchups.

in fact Ward needs to retire. He has nothing left to prove.

27. Destruction and Mayhem

I completely disagree.

If Ward beat Joshua he'd have to be considered the G.O.A.T.

28. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Ward still has a lot to prove. Would fun to see him against Stevenson. don't think he ever fought any hard hitting southpaw.

And there is a lot of good fighters at cruiser

29. Destruction and Mayhem

Ward has nothing left to prove. He's beaten everyone that matters: Kessler, Frock, Abraham, kovalev, Dawson, Green, Bika etc. He's made his point.

30. mexican wedding shirt

Since when did Green and Bika matter? :D