Roy Fights Again Tomorrow.

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Irish, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    FLOYD IS THE BEST FITE-MAN!!!

2. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Hatton was absolutely not bigger than Floyd, not by a long shot :lol:

Hatton is small. I think he is the only guy other than Marquez, who has not looked much bigger than Pacquiao, if at all, since Pacquiao moved up to 147/140.

Floyd was the bigger, stronger guy in the ring, and was also accustomed to fighting welterweights.

In his only fight at 147 before Floyd, Hatton looked undersized and out of his depth at welter.

3. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

You think Hatton weighed less than Floyd on fight night?

So let me get this straight:

Roy Jones is small because he had a couple fights below 160 early in his career, but a former 130 lb CHAMPION who weighs 146 in the ring for a welterweight fight is a "big welterweight" .. while the guy who started his career at 140 lb, and weighs in at 160 lb for a welterweight fight, is "small" (because he 'looked that way' to you)

4. mexican wedding shirt

I don't think Floyd is a big WW at all, but he is bigger than Hatton (who has looked completely undersized in every WW fight), and has grown into a proper welter at least, not a truly undersized one.

We've had this EXACT same conversation before, and basically I think you place too much importance on fight night weight. It's only one factor.

Pacquiao and Danny Williams both weighed more on fight night than Oscar and Vitali, did you consider them the bigger men?

Some fighters like to put on more weight than others. Floyd is an unusual case. He always keeps trim, and maybe purposefully doesn't put much weight on post weigh in, as he likes to keep as light and fast as possible.

What I do know is weight classes are what you can get DOWN to, not what weight you come in fight night. Hatton got down to 140 in his previous fight, Floyd hadn't made 140 in 2.5 years.

When Pacquiao and Floyd fight in May, Floyd will be the bigger, stronger guy - almost everyone agrees on that. But it's pretty likely they'll weigh the exact same amount on fight night. Num sen?

5. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    He weighed less at the weigh in, so yeah.

And size and weight and strength are all different.

Danny Williams weighed 20lbs more than Vitali Klitschko when they fought and the first thing Jim Watt said when he saw them both in the ring was "look at the difference in the frames of these two men".

Williams got shoved around, despite being lean and heavier.

6. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

Oh fucking snap girlfriend!!!

7. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Hatton was like a carcinoma of the eyes... One of the most awful negative fighters ever... A cagefighter

8. mexican wedding shirt

Surely no one agrees with loaded that Hatton is the bigger man?

Floyd was clearly, clearly the bigger man in the fight, bigger and stronger. I imagine their weights were similar.

In his other 147 fights, Hatton looked clearly undersized against Collazo and that other Eastern Euro guy. Floyd, not so much, he's not looked at a significant size disadvantage in any of his 147 fights. Him and Shane looked the same size, which surprised me.

9. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Size had nothing to do with Floyd beating Hatton. They could have fought at 140 with the same result.

10. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Floyd definitely looks like he's filled out since the Hatton fight. At that point they basically looked the same size in the ring (and were both 148).

Re: hatton looking undersized more vs Collazo than Floyd ever has at welter - agreed but style had allot to do with that. Also, Collazo was 5'9 - Oscar is the only guy over 5'8 Floyd has fought since N'Dou(!)

11. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    yeah. It might have been very slightly more competitive at 140 if the cutting weakened Floyd a little but i dont think it would have mattered materially

12. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    its amusing how hatton fans cling to the weight issue. mayweather jr was calling out hatton when they were both at 140lbs and hatton didnt want the fight

13. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I think it is obvious Floyd was the bigger and the stronger man against Hatton and got advantage from it. Weight isn't really important since Mayweather just happens to be more powerful than Hatton and it is no more an excuse than saying that other guy is faster than the other and thus I don't see much to debate here

14. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I dunno. Id say he could control things on the inside because he was much better. If you know how to get the other guy off balance then nudge him he'll move.

15. mexican wedding shirt

Hut, nah man, he was clearly stronger. Whenever they engaged in a straight forward shoving/wrestling contest, Floyd looked clearly the bigger/stronger guy. In some cases you could see it was raw strength rather than technique.

16. mexican wedding shirt

Sure, but that's really not the point. Floyd is better, and would beat Hatton even in England, even with a different ref, even if Floyd was smaller.

But that doesn't change the fact when they did fight, Floyd was CLEARLY bigger and stronger.

17. mexican wedding shirt

Sure, that's fine, but again irrelevant. The fact is, Floyd is the bigger stronger guy, you only have to watch the fight to see that.

18. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Just rewatched a bit of it & in the 8th I hear Harold Lederman say: 'Ricky Hatton by one point!' :atu::atu: Its incredible that that guy could find a job cleaning fucking dishes never mind giving analysis on network television.

19. mexican wedding shirt

I'd suggest anyone who is wondering, to go back and watch Floyd vs Hatton, then Pacquiao Vs Hatton.

Hatton is a small guy. Floyd was clearly bigger, and like I said, Hatton is pretty much the only guy to NOT look bigger than Pacquiao at the higher weights. They looked exactly the same size to me. Bizarrely, even Marquez looked bigger in their 3rd and 4th fights, taller and thicker.

20. mexican wedding shirt

Jesus, I don't remember that, nor do I recall anyone having Hatton winning at any point.

He gave a good go of it, and won at least 2 rounds, but he was obviously not winning at any point.

21. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Clear steroids usage....

22. mexican wedding shirt

Absolutely, but the fact remains he did look bigger, and Hatton looked the exact same size.

23. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I feel like every conversation on this page is 5 years old but....a guy who's never previously lifted weights putting on 7lb of muscle in a year isn't actually that suspicious.

24. mexican wedding shirt

Not sure how accurate these are, but here are a couple of tale of the tapes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

Definitely, unquestionably yes. I still say that Hatton puts up a better show at 140 because he was a better junior lightweight than welter (as his forays there proved) but he still loses, possibly by KO again and the thing that surprised me most about that fight was how easily Floyd handled Hatton on the few occasions that corrupt, crybaby prick Cortez let him try to work inside. Floyd moved Hatton around at will. He was much stronger than anyone, Ricky included, expected.

MTF

26. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

Floyd was definitely stronger than Hatton. Stronger and better. Hatton was shit.

27. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

Yes, yes and no.

MTF :lol:

28. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

Ah yes, Sir Harold has a wide and varied history of numerical non-conformity. His beet face suggests he won't be bothering us for much longer with his numerological deviancy.
    [​IMG]

29. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Yep, we've had this convo before, and I don't think we're ever going to agree on the approach .. as far as Pac/Oscar & Williams/Vitali, Oscar came down to an unnaturally low weight he hadn't made since 1999, and looked like a mummy for his efforts. An exceptional case. With Williams/Vitali, that's a heavyweight fight, there's no weight limit so the paradigm is totally different. Williams bulked up ridiculously because he thought it'd help (it didn't). If Williams were what's considered in "fighting shape" at any lower weight class, he'd weigh 230, 235 or so.

The idea that a guy who weighs in at 146 & comes in the ring at 148 for a welterweight fight can't drop 6 lb of water just because he hasn't done it before, is irrational. Floyd doesn't cut water because he doesn't want to, not because he can't. This is a guy who paid Marquez $600k rather than cut 3 lb of water, and came in at roughly the same weight he weighed in at anyway. It would be easier for him to make 140 than it is for most current 140 lbers, who nowadays are coming in at 160.

Pac is thicker in the legs than Floyd, I don't know that Floyd is necessarily the bigger man. Floyd has tremendous upper body strength though, and I think that difference will show if/when they're in close.

30. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Floyd is certainly the larger fighter. Not that he's so much bigger the size difference alone will be the telling factor but he IS bigger. I agree that the difference in strength will show if they are in close. I suspect that won't happen too often though. Even when Pacquiao was fighting guys his own size he didn't get into grappling on the inside. That's never been Mayweather's game either but he's been well strong enough to handle it when it happens. Even if it's infrequent perhaps those instances are when Floyd can assert an other edge in his favour.