Roy Jones vs Andre Ward

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by puerto rock, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Hut can't stand it if somebody wins while fighting in a wrong way. It is almost as if somebody played football but didn't kick long balls continuously

2. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Agreed. While he was excellent, the fact that people can't even envision him getting beat by Ward, shows that he is still overrated.

3. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

In Fairness, YOU Brought Up a Dude Roy Beat 8-4, as "Proof" Ward Could Conceivably BEAT Roy...

Not the Strongest Argument REED's Read, Being Honest...Brother Hut Simply DISLIKES Roy, Which is Well Within His Rights as a Boxing Fan...

If REEDs Not Mistaken, YOU Were a John Ruiz Fan (You or Your Brother), Yet You STILL Consider Roy Jones "Overrated" ?

REED : )

4. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Him having trouble with a green hopkins shows that Ward, who have a similar style, would at least pose some problems to Roy, since he is much better than this version of Hopkins (but as I said, to be honest, it wasn'T a prime RJ against Hopkins either). As I said before, I pick Roy, but I think it is ridiculous to completely dismiss Ward chances, like a few here are doing. A guy who is that cagey and fast would pose a ton of problems to Roy.

As for Ruiz, I was a mild fan because he was an overachiever ( my brother liked him more) and was always fighting tough opposition. He wasn't a great fighter, but Roy beating him, especially in that manner, was very impressive. Still, I think that some tends to overrate RJ because of his tremendous athletic gifts. The guy was able to do some crazy things, but him doing them against B+ level fighters doesn't means he could do them against A+ guys (he didn't fought enough of them to know it). I think too many people are excusing his unimpressive performances on him being desinterested, while I think that most of them were due to him having troubles with technically sound and/or cagey guys.

5. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    Who doesn't struggle with those types?