Saw Man of Steel Premiere Last Night...Spoilers Will Be Posted For Those Who Ask...And This Can Be M

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Buddy Rydell, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    Im glad you enjoyed it. Since you are new to the genre, let me help you out on which movies to get started with. In this order too.

Batman Begins
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight Rises
    The Avengers
    Xmen
    X2
    Xmen First class

You can watch the Iron Man's after that. I am not a fan of them and have only seen the first. I will say this. You will LOVE the Batman Trilogy.

2. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

I'd like to add:

Watchmen
    Iron Man 1
    Iron Man 2

3. ChrisKen77

ChrisKen77 WBC Champion

Cool, thanks for the recommendations bro. I've heard nothing but great things about the newest Batman movies. I'll take the advice and start there and eventually see all of those you mentioned. I feel like I've just discovered something new, even though I am extremely late to the party.

4. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    lb 4 lb is right. Don't forget to see watchman. The movie was directed by the same man that directed Man of Steel.

5. Rainmaker

Home Page:
    Man of Steel makes $12 million on a monday. Pretty fucking good.

6. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

The three new Batman's are way better than Superman. Love those movies.

7. Anthony

Motherfucker
    They are better but batman is a better character.

8. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

Right.

9. ChrisKen77

ChrisKen77 WBC Champion

I haven't seen not one since the Devito/Penguin film. From what I hear, I will thoroughly enjoy these darker versions. Obviously I expect to be awed by Ledger as the Joker.

10. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Saw it yesterday.....disappointing...because I was expecting something EPIC......Dark Knight kinda thing...didn't happen. THe first hour was very enjoyable...then it dragged on and on...

How many buildings do you have to destroy?......

Rewatchable...hell yes....but not as good The Dark Knight.......but close to the Dark Knight Rises...

11. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Better than The Avengers though.....

12. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Yes, he did individual rescues: the soldier that fell from the spiraling helicopter, Lois Lane (twice), the army gung ho who was about to get his ass kicked by the kryptonian babe.:popcorn:

13. Panchyprsss

[​IMG]

MAN OF STEEL Finally watched this film and here are some of my thoughts: director Zack Snyder and producer Chris Nolan successfully reinvented the iconic comicbook superhero for modern audiences. This is a Superman that can co-exist in the same world of Nolan's Dark Knight. It is definitely not the Superman of Christopher Reeve's films. He will never be called a 'boy scout' or 'goodie-two-shoes' after this film since this is a much radical departure from the Supe who fought for 'truth, justice & the American way'. In fact when questioned if he will be a threat to American interest his response was, "Hey, I grew up in Kansas!" The movie delivers in the action department showcasing the most badass superfights ever put on film. While the characters were given proper screen time, I felt something was badly missing. While it has an epic scope, I felt that the characters were not developed enough so that we care for their fate. I mean, without trying to spoil anything, that when a certain character dies we were supposed to feel sad, but we didn't. IMO the biggest problem this film has it is exactly what most of you guys loved about: it went overdrive on the action and rampage. It went overload & overkill. It came to a point where I was experiencing action fatigue and was begging for a little break of welcome dialogue and when it apparently seemed to be over...another major showdown with even more destruction and rampage. I wanted to see more of quiet loving Jonathan Kent (Kevin Costner) and less of action hero Jor-El (Russell Crowe). MAN OF STEEL has the body, but lacks the soul. 8/10

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  14. Rainmaker

Home Page:
    I agree in large parts with panchy's review. The story was hurried a litle bit. They should have added an extra half hour for the story. I loved the part on Krypton. In fact, they should make a complete prequel on Krypton with Jor El as the main character. I also liked the flashbacks in the movie and the action scenes were great.

15. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Well when brando died, his character was developed much less than Crowe's.

16. ChrisKen77

ChrisKen77 WBC Champion

Just to let you know...I bought the Batman movies and will be watching them over the next couple of weeks. I can't wait to see Adam West at his finest. (I really did cop the movies and will give the most tardy movie review(s) of all fucking time.)

17. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Nice. I cant wait.

18. Panchyprsss

Are you referring to the Jor-El character demise? If so, Brando's speech before launching the star-like spaceship with baby Kal-El is so powerful and full of emotion that when first viewed it is very hard not to shed a tear. John Williams score also helped a lot. The audience did care when Krypton was destroyed in Superman: The Movie. We felt Clark's loss at the death of his adoptive father Jonathan Kent (Glen Ford, who had less screen time than Brando) and even when Clark one morning decides to leave his elderly adoptive mom. Not to mention the death of Lois Lane during the earthquake. These were deeply emotional scenes that brought humanity to what was essentially a comicbook character. Man of Steel is an awesome adaptation of a comicbook character, but, besides Kal-El, its characters were not as well developed and remained unidimensional.

19. Anthony

Motherfucker
    The character development in Man of Steel is 100% times better than Superman the Movie. Because you did not feel for them, does not mean the characters were not developed. Russel Crowe was huge in the movie. Costner had many memoral touching scenes. I loved Kyrpton in this movie. I didnt get to see it in the Superman: The movie. Based off what i saw, i would love to see a man of steel prequel with just russell crowe

20. Panchyprsss

***SPOILERS***

Well, we can agree on disagreeing. The MAN OF STEEL Krypton scenes were disappointing to me. The flying creature scenes seemed like it came out from Avatar and the Krypton elders costumes seemed like rejects from a Guillermo del Toro Hellboy movie. And what the heck it was with all those baby fetuses in the water?So the whole genetic code of Krypton was preserved on the cranium of a crogmanon-like fossil? I liked better the crystal world Krypton in Superman the movie. As for Jor-El, he was stabbed by Zod and we didn't gave a shit. Even Lara's death we didn't gave a shit. Jonathan Kent dies and we didn't give a shit. It lacked the moments of reflection the older version had. Don't get me wrong, I like MAN OF STEEL. But I didn't 'love it' like I did with the 1978 version.

21. Anthony

Motherfucker
    You dont know what the babies in the water were?

There is no disagreement with facts. Because you didnt care that Crowe died, does not mean his character wasnt developed. His character was developed way more than Brando's. This is fact. Cant be disputed. Your connection to him is completely different than whether his character was developed.

And you criticize the krypton elders but are fine with this protrayal of them.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2u3eQc_rx54" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is simply a case of an older man (you) who cant let go of his favorite movie. So anything other than it will be belittled. But im sorry, i loved the original superman movie, but this one was better in every way.

22. Panchyprsss

We are getting personal, aren't we? :giggle:

The Krypton elders on Man of Steel: only one old dude and an old lady who barely spoke one or two lines. In Superman: the Movie we see a lot of them judging the criminals and later debating Jor-El's 'wild theory' plus their glowing costumes matched nicely with their surroundings. After that we see them again before their demise. The whole destruction of Krypton was given more screen time in the original thus creating in the viewer a greater sense of doom than the sole scene in Man of Steel where you see only Lara-El dying. Maybe the blu-ray version will have extended scenes and the destruction of Krypton can be more powerful. But as it stands now, it was too rushed.

Krypton Elders
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fclHBV8hMIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Krypton destruction
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WLZmoO-BUMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

23. Anthony

Motherfucker
    You post deleted scenes like the count. They dont

24. Panchyprsss

Those scenes only has one or two lines that were deleted from the original theatrical version. Jor-El debating with the council elders is nearly intact. I also put them because I couldn't find the exact clips without showing lot of other stuff that isn't relevant to this discussion. On the destruction of krypton only the scene with the helmet covered kryptonian guard was not in the original release. The rest was there. it counts.

25. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Sorry Panch. The characters were way more established in Man of Steel. It was a better movie than the original too.

26. Panchyprsss

Again, we can agree on that we disagree, but I like both versions anyway only that I was expecting Man of Steel to be better than it turned out IMO. I am also puzzled how the movie hasn't hold that well at the top': the second weekend ended in the third spot and this weekend in the fifth spot. I was expecting it to be more successful than this. I mean this film should have been doing Iron Man 3 business, not Fast & Furious 6 business.

27. Rainmaker

Home Page:
    The problem for Man of Steel was that the movie was followed the next week by blockbusters like Monster's University and World War Z. That did not happen for Iron Man 3, which was a crappy movie by the way. Man of Steel was certainly much better than Iron Man 3.

28. Anthony

Motherfucker
    The man of steel's numbers are great actually. It's in their third week and only dropped 50%. 50% in the third week in a summer movie? that is pretty fucking good. especially for a movie that doesnt have a good track record and people are already skeptical on if it's good or not.

29. Panchyprsss

Iron Man 3 numbers were great. MOS aren't. For a film that cost $225 million to make the present numbers...lets say, aren't in the 'Marvel' league. On the other hand the international grosses come to the rescue and the film has now surpassed $500 million worldwide which is good and warrants a sequel...a lower budgeted sequel.

30. Panchyprsss

Can anyone explain to me how General Zod & his minions escaped the Phantom Zone with all those spaceships at their disposal?:scratcher: