SEE YOU! A brand spanking new modern fitba thread 2021/22

Discussion in 'Hall of Fame/Shame' started by Irish, Aug 14, 2021.

1. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

Again, can't see it. They're deliberately not going after big name, big money mercenary types. Lots of that sort have been offered to them. They've refused them all.

MTF

2. meetthefeebles

That's a good effort. Well done. Even without COVID, that's quick for a bloke at your stage of fitness/training and it would hurt like fuck afterwards. I cannot recommend enough the suggestion to try and work your way up incrementally.

If you want some suggestions, let me know. Happy to help.

MTF

Irish likes this.
  3. meetthefeebles

For context, they've spend over £150m since January at NUFC, with absolutely no money whatsoever coming in from player sales because the players the FCB left here were worth no money. They are tied into shit sponsorship deals worth buttons. They have had to earmark millions to upgrade the infrastructure - the training ground is basically an old golf club ffs and the academy failed Cat-A assessment three times.

They are serious. That is clear. But they are not going to go down the Chelshit/Shitty route of throwing gazillions at it from the get-go. They can't, and won't.

MTF

4. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Cheers.

I used to take the Garmin as a novelty. Now I'm hooked into the idea of logging, recording, data data data. It's a healthy obsession.

Honestly I am taking it easy, it's just I think a 10k walk is entry level "my 800lb life" stuff. It's for the "Moms Got A Big Bum" club.

I don't really regard it as "work" unless it involved some sort of real serious discomfort.

I've got good aerobic fitness, I know because in a non-impact scenario , like the airbike, I can do respectable times.

It's the weight that's causing the issues eg tendons, ligaments, joints.

Mercifully my hamstrings seem to have finally conditioned themselves and don't jam up after a few yards of work.

5. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Sounds to me like they might not ship a lot of goals but won't score a bunch either. A lot of tight games might mean single point results rather than getting the full three. Like Slice posted i think it's important to get at least one marquee signing, preferably an attacker. Money pretty much is always the most important factor, but it helps a lot when a club is successful when acquiring talent or renewing contracts.

6. meetthefeebles

My feeling is that NUFC consider both Botman and Bruno as 'marquee' signings. It's been nearly fifteen years since NUFC were even in the market to sign players of that calibre and they simply are not interested in spending stupid money on big name mercenaries. Howe has said openly that he won't sign anyone who wants ridiculous wages because it just uproots the dressing room.

MTF

7. meetthefeebles

They desperately need an attacker, though. It's the difference between a steady season of consolidation and a European push for NUFC imo.

MTF

8. meetthefeebles

You have to build running from the base. It is so hard on your back, knees and muscles that if you do too much, too soon, you run a real risk of damage.

800lb people don't walk 10m, let alone 10k. You've got to be sensible and recognise your own natural tendency to go a bit OTT :Jest: My strong advice is to build distance incrementally. Look to run at a consistent pace for as long as you reasonably can. For anyone who is just starting out, I train to add around 1/2km onto the distance per week, starting at whatever is comfortable. This is the best way to condition the body without risking breaking it. Speed and everything else can come once the base is there.

MTF

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    Irish likes this.
  9. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss walking personally, these days physique athletes use it as their cardio almost exclusively, whether its cutting from 20% to 15% or all the way down to human anatomy chart. Obviously it depends what your short term goals are but at least as far as body recomp goes the combo of resistance training+walking is pretty much tops since it spares muscle, interferes less with strength and can generally be done at higher volumes more sustainably

And if you share the view modern army fitness tests do that a fit person should be able to do more than just run a mile well but should also be able to do things like carry twice their bodyweight for distance, bang out 10+ chin ups, load a bunch of 30kg sandbags onto a truck etc...then id argue an approach like that would be the quickest route there!

(Otoh you might just really like running in which case i'll shut up:Jest:)

10. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Walking is the greatest form of exercise for weight loss and general conditioning as it's what we're built to do. We've evolved to trade the ability to swing explosively from tree to tree to locomote slowly over huge distances with the occasional burst.

It's just time-consuming, generates a huge appetite, is weather dependent and can become monotonous.

Then there's the question of endorphins and overall physical fitness progression....

I'm not knocking it. Just trying to get a blend of motions that complement each other and keep things lively.... I'm more than happy to believe that the 400 calorie walks are where this war will be won. Those are the little platoons of the weight loss Army.

11. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Reiterating my earlier assertions, pardon the pun, Fran Kirby does not have the arse of a professional athlete. Not a chance.

12. meetthefeebles

Not even watching it. Watching NUFC get beat off Benfica in a friendly.

MTF

13. meetthefeebles

First half has been a good watch in this NUFC friendly. 2-2 HT. Free stream on the NUFC website, if anyone wants to watch actual footballers instead of daft lassies.

MTF

14. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    FFS get iptv this year.

15. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    It's. Coming. Home. :Jest:

meetthefeebles likes this.
  16. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    LL overlook playing Salzburg tomorrow.

17. meetthefeebles

What's the lassies score? Winning are they?

MTF

18. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    2-0 to "England".

19. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Three nil.

Wait till you see the third.

They're calling it magic. It was quite pathetic.

20. meetthefeebles

Switched it on and caught the third. Jesus Christ, the defending and goalkeeping for that.

MTF lol

21. meetthefeebles

And then again for that 4th. My God. The standard of defending and 'keeping at this level.

MTF

22. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Two hands on the ball. Two.

23. meetthefeebles

I've just checked on the FIFA website. That Sweden side are the second best ranked wifey team in the world:

Screenshot_2022-07-26-21-37-13-127_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg

MTF

24. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    That illustrates the magnitude of England's achievement. They made a great side look ordinary.....

25. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    I was bolloxed all day today..bolloxed....did a 5k walk. That was it..have had to reduce calories to bare bare minimum to compensate for lack of meaningful expenditure.

A Luke warm shower feels like really hot water.....I was short of breath from the minute I woke up. Then the Aircon in the car felt like an ice cold blast. Really short of patience and very edgy..

Fucking CCP.

26. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Its the anniversary of Charlie Tully's death today, usually described as Celtic's best player of the 50s & scorer of maybe Celtic's most legendary ever goal, away vs Falkirk in 55. It was 1-1 in the last ten minutes when Tully won a throw-in near the corner flag, which he converted to a corner by cheekily bouncing it off the defenders back as he retreated. Tully then scored directly from the corner to win the game! The Celtic end behind the goal goes wild. But no! The hun referee has seen an infringement- Tully placed the ball outside the D, he says. In theatrical protestation Tully demands the linesman place the ball for the corner this time, himself. Then he scores direct from the corner again! It all sounds like a tall tale or an issue of Roy of the Rovers but multiple newspapers reported it exactly that way. Apparently the overfilled Celtic end spilled onto the field in such raptures that the game was delayed by several minutes. Sounds f'n brilliant.:emoji_four_leaf_clover:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  27. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Put that weight loss in abeyance for a couple of days and get your strength back with a good sirloin and an ale - you'll be motoring again by friday!

28. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Meat is Murder!!

Just joking I was on musclefood.com yesterday seeing what was on offer. I'm reaching for the vitamins like a bird on her blood to make sure I'm not leaching essential this or that.

Funny enough we had a visitor yesterday , a recent mother, a dwarf of an Irish girl who was bang on 13 stones 13lb that's 195lb after her first child.

She was sat there giving ME advice. She's still a fat little thing at 12 stone and I said her current weight was MY target weight.

Didn't go down well. :Jest:

"Guinness Gives You Strength"...any truth in that? I remember in Ireland people would have what they called "tonics" made up of Guinness and something else like blackberry etc. Could possibly make a big difference in the diet of people who weren't getting full spectrum nutrition.

29. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    I can't confirm or deny any if it but in 1965 Liverpool went to Milan to play Inter and were robbed - we know now- by 2 totally unlawful goals.

For decades afterwards nobody was sure quite what had happened as there was no footage, it hadn't been televised in England (you could barely make a continental call back then) and all people had to rely on was total hearsay.

Today it would be all cleared up in seconds. Liverpudlians were walking around for years saying they'd heard about a disallowed Liverpool goal or they'd heard about a goal from an indirect free kick.

Eventually a tape surfaced and answers were had.

Back then it festered for decades and was plausibly denied by the Italians

30. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    By most accounts the same thing happened to Celtic at Anfield the next year in the semi finals - we scored a goal to win the tie with 5 minutes to go which was ruled offside despite being several yards on! Still no tape of the incident afaik.