Squating

Discussion in 'Training & Conditioning' started by Free Ike, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    What is a lot of weight to squat. I have a horrible back, but was convinced that squating would actually help my back problems.

What weight is a good target goal? I popped my cherry and put 2 plates on each side and did 4 sets of 10. It was pretty easy, but I need to see if I have any problems from it. That weight seems ok so it must be light for squating. What isn't?

2. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
  3. Free Ike

None
    Thanks Hut. Neat little site. I guess I started a little below novice. I started at 225. I am a little doing better than I thoughT on BENCH.

4. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

Totally depends

Some can start at 225
    I've seen small skinny guys come in nd start at 135. Then 155, up to 185 and take a while to get the 2nd plate on

5. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    If it's deep and in good form (which to be fair is a big 'if' because most people squat 9" high, sometimes without realising) 220x10 is a very strong start. You could probably put 100lb+ on that in a year if want to

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  6. Free Ike

None
    Bench is what is pissing me off. I have very long arms. In fact, my friend is 6 foot 7 and my arms are equally long. I am basically 5'11/6 feet and fluctuate from 194 to 204. I am stuck on bench. I basically work out at 185 but can seem to rep more than 4 times beyond that. I think I benched 225 once. People said squating would make me stronger too.MWS would say I look Spanish. I am very bottom heavy, the legs of a heavy weight. Up top, I look like a junior middle.

7. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Maybe weighted dips would suit you better? I always preferred dips

8. Free Ike

None
    I just youtubed that. I think it would suit me to death.

9. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Ike, when calculating the weight don't forget to account for Jaw's underpants on your head

10. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

What was your weight for the 4 sets?
    Squats / Deadlifts (and also Pullups) will definately increase your ability to lift heavier everywhere else too...

11. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    'two plates' usually = 45lb x 4 + weight of the bar (40) = 220.

12. Free Ike

None
    Exactly. 220. I can do it 40 times.

13. Free Ike

None
    Thanks again Hut. so the body index in that site was the following:

198 125 232 285 387 504

I usually am around 195 plus or minus 5 pounds in body weight.

So, I have been squating for a week and I finally said screw it so I tried to find my highest weight in which I could do 4 sets of 10 without cheating or hurting myself. So I put on 275 tonight. I did 40 reps =4 sets of 10. Damn, squating gives me a weird rush. My whole body feels worked out. I think I will use 275 as my base.

14. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Thats damn strong so soon. Thats pretty much the best I ever managed, but then I have a heroin chic bone structure :pathetic:

Id maybe just have someone film you from the side for a couple sets if you're starting though. 3 things to quickly check for

* that you're going below parallel (that the crease at the top of your thigh/hip drops beneath the top of your knee)

* that your lower back isn't rounding too much at the bottom (tbh you feel this before it becomes a chronic prob, but best being safe)

* that your knees aren't drifting forward at the bottom. Ideally they do all their forward movement (not much, ideally) early then stay touching the same imaginary vertical line when you're deep. Visualise pushing back as much as up from the bottom. Not a big safety issue just a way to make sure the hamstrings are being worked

15. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

You mean 50lb x 4 + 45lb bar: 245lb??

Sorry, I'm being pedantic...usually those size Olympic plates are usually 25lb each and Olympic bars are 45lb....
    (21/2 - 5 - 10 - 25 - 35 - 45)

16. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    Not at my gym. The 45lbers are the big boys for the Olympic bar. I do have 50lb plates at home, but the hole to put the bar through is not an Olympic-sized bar.

17. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I fucked up actually when I said the bar was 40lb you're right its 45 roughly if it's standard. But nah, 'plates' are usually 45lb in America, 20kg over here. Obviously plates come all sizes but in vernacular, '2 plates' = 225, 3 plates = 315 and so on.

18. Free Ike

None
    I doubt I am strong. As I have told Winner by Choke several times, I am very unremarkable physically. I was athletic as a kid, but fell off due to alcohol. I asked some stranger last night to critique me. He said that my form was legitimate. I have my doubts if I am doing anything approaching strong. I put on 2 plates and a 35 pound on my last set and did it ten times. I think that is 285. I must be cheating. I will say, my legs are strong. I don't look like a 200 pound guy. In fact, my build is similar to Jaw's. However, my thighs and calves are massive. Maybe, I am strong somewhere. I love squats though. It makes me feel like I really worked out.

19. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

Amen hut

1 plate =135
    2 plates =225
    3 plates -= 315
    4 0plates =405

20. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Guys in most gyms are an unreliable crowd. I'd go as far as to say even less reliable than random idiots on the internet like me :lol:. Good squat looks something like this though.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ea_132Q3kGQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Wendler *just* breaks depth there. That's a lifetime of making powerlifting legal and no more I guess, so I always aim for something lower than that.

Higher and more stress from the rebound is on the knees rather than shared with the hips. Tends to make the knees moan & also takes work away from the posterior chain

Olympic weightlifters tend to go way lower than powelifters but you have to be really flexible to do it without rounding your lower back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5DEMTIc2RI&feature=relmfu

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  21. Free Ike

None
    I figured it out. It isn't a free squat. It is counterbalanced, a saftey bar sort of thing. That has to reduce what I am doing by 50 -60 pounds. I knew it was too good to be true.

22. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Squats, the 'King of Weight-Excersises' it maybe, but isn't a recipe for 'wheelchair-life' down the line? :scratcher:

I think ages 18-30 only need aply for squats...

23. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I wouldn't say so. Olympic lifters squat 5-6 times a week often for 25 years at a time and rarely get injured. It's a natural movement we're built for (unlike say bench press). The trick's good form, I guess. I'm far more nervous about the effects of not strength training to old age!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  24. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Yeah, I guess you're right.
    Ike is right about the full-body 'rush' though - I did some tonight for the first time in 10 years so only went 4 sets of 10 reps at 90kg (smith-machine only though) - I need to get that form right first.

Amongst other excersises tonight, I mixed in the squats with deadlifts and I was almost wobbling out of the gym...:lol:

25. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    A copy/paste from Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 book, in case it's any help to anyone:

• Proper bar placement depends on your body type and what’s most comfortable to you. Some people have shoulder problems and can’t carry the bar very low. Others just plain suck at high bar squatting. Place the bar where it allows you to reach depth with good form. It’s just that easy.

• Grip the bar with the narrowest grip you can manage without hurting your shoulders. This will ensure that you remain tight throughout the lift.

• I like taking a full grip on the bar, but I used a “thumbs-aroundâ€￾ grip for the first half of my squatting life. I don’t see this as a deal-breaker.

• Keep your elbows down and try to force them under the bar. This will cause your hips to drive first out of the bottom of the squat. It’ll also keep your chest high and prevent you from squatting with your legs first instead of your back. The first thing to shoot up with many people is their ass. Remedy this by pushing with your hips and keeping your elbows under the bar – or at least trying to.

• Squeeze the bar hard during the lift. This will keep your entire body tight.

• Before you take the bar out of the rack, fill your diaphragm with air, place the bar on your back, then confidently push it out of the rack with your back and legs. Don’t “wimpâ€￾ the bar out. I like to do this with a large breath, which I won’t let out until I’m in my stance.

• Any more than two or three steps back is a waste of time and energy. Be efficient. I mentally count, “One, Twoâ€￾ when taking the bar out to make sure that I take only two steps out of the rack.

• Your eyes should be focused. Some people believe you should look straight up when you squat. These people aren’t good to listen to. Your eyes should be directed straight ahead or just slightly downward. Don’t take your eyes off the point you choose. Pick something, and stare at it intently. Even if there’s movement and distractions around this point, they shouldn’t stop your stare. This is how focused you have to be.

• Your toes should be pointed out at about a 30-45 degree angle. This will allow your knees to track correctly.

• Arch your upper back hard for the entire lift. This will cause your lower back to arch, too.

• Before the descent, take another breath and go. Keep this air in until you’re about 2/3 of the way back up. Then you can let it out. I’ve taught myself to hold my breath for 3 reps, but this is very difficult and I wouldn’t recommend it for everyone.

• When you begin your descent, push your knees out to the sides and your glutes back.

• Your descent should be slow enough to permit you to maintain good form, but it should be fast enough to not waste energy or kill the stretch reflex at the bottom. Many lifters will “dive bombâ€￾ their squats. This is a fancy term for dropping very quickly and almost catching the bar in the bottom position before squatting back up. This is okay for advanced lifters who know their bodies and have great technique, but it’s probably unacceptable for about 99% of the rest of the population.

• Descend until the tops of your thighs are parallel to the ground. Go deeper if you’d like, but this is the minimum depth you should shoot for.

• Once you hit parallel, drive your elbows under the bar and explode up. Bouncing out of the bottom position (the “holeâ€￾) is not a bad thing. Losing your air and tightness when you do so is. Don’t do that.

26. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Fuck, 2 days later my entire body is still trying to re-adjust itself...

27. Free Ike

None
    I did 3 plates and 40 reps easily. I was about to walk up to the hottest women I see and say "Hey, I am Ike, let's fuck." I awoke and my back is approximately 25% larger than it ought to be. It was nice thinking I was a superman. Alas, those days are over.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  28. timmothysmith01

timmothysmith01 Leap-Amateur

A squat is a powerful workout wherein the trainee lowers their hips from a status function after which stand back up.