The Annual: Who's greater, Hopkins or Hagler?

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Destruction and Mayhem, Feb 2, 2011.

?

Who's the greater fighter?

1. Bernard "The Executioner" Hopkins

47.2%
  2. Marvelous Marvin Hagler

52.8%
  1. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Tarver was the only bigger man he beat. Making middleweights come up to fight him at 170 didn't score him any points on the weightclass front.

2. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I'd argue not very different. Greatness is just the extent your betterness was proveafied.

3. Ramonza Soliloquies

Ramonza Soliloquies "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Could Hopkins beat Hagler, head-to-head at Middle?

4. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    cdogg, had Hopkins beaten Wright & Pavlik at 160 would that have made his 160 resume better than Haglers, IYO?

5. Ramonza Soliloquies

He did, however, do more nonetheless. Running a very strong Champion like Joe Calzaghe so close sure beats retiring, as does schooling Kelly Pavlik, & comprehensively decisioning Ronald Wright. The same goes for a draw with Jean Pascal. All this has occurred beyond the reach of both Hopkins' prime weightclass & years --- & not by a little, either. Hagler could not hope to duplicate such success & competitiveness, anymore than he could match Hopkins' near-peerless longevity.

Hopkins, in my book, makes a lot of ground on Hagler in rgeards to longevity, which I know you find to be an over-rated criterion for assessment. To each, his own. Hagler I find the somewhat more formidable Middleweight, & he had the better MW career & title reign --- but the better career overall? I don't agree with that.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  6. royyjonesjrp4pno1

royyjonesjrp4pno1 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Still one more than Hagler beat.

7. KaukipRrr

KaukipRrr "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Tarver was about a mere 2cm taller and alot thinner. Hopkins has a way thicker physique, equipped with heavyweight sized shoulders. I dont think Tarver was the 'bigger' man at all.

I think to this day Tarver remains Hopkins best win, but that's only if you ignore his incredible, incredible competition at middleweight that is.

8. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Yeah & Glen Catley was one more super middleweight than Benny Leonard ever fucking beat, is Dingaan Thobela the greater fighter now?

9. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Well Hopkins ability to fill out to 175 is half my point. I just don't see how that's a demonstration of greatness over a 5'8 stocky guy who's body &style were suited to one division. It's just a total circuit frying non-sequitar to me.

10. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

If you're going to weight Hops lhw exploits in his favor then you need also note that it is the weightclass he began in. Not really as impressive a feat when viewed in that light. Using that as a mark against Hagler is dishonest. He never had the frame to move up in weight.

You can also note that outside of Roy Jones, Tarvers career has been mediocre at best. Good win? Absolutely but Antonio is not a great fighter.

If we go head to head, I like Hagler to win but Hop is a very live dog here for mine. It goes to points and is very close.

11. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

I totally just blew my own mind.

When Hagler lost to Leonard, his last professional boxing match, he was less than two months away from his 33rd Birthday.

Hopkins had a fight at almost exactly the same age, an IBF defence against Andrew Council. Hopkins was still slightly less than four years away from his first major win in a huge fight, vs. Trinidad.

But forget all that... you guys want to know what's really amazing?

Marvin Hagler hasn't boxed since April of 1987.

Yet...

Marvin Hagler is less than 11 years older than Bernard Hopkins.

12. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Hagler wanted to be a movie star:

[​IMG]

13. Ramonza Soliloquies

What is dishonest? Hopkins was immediately over-matched as a Light-Heavy upon his debut, & it was a managerial decision (a smart one) to move a developing fighter down in weight. You are painting it here as if Hopkins was always a Light-Heavy, & then drained down massively to make the MW limit. Maybe you're not doing so maliciously, but the fact is Hopkins wasn't some kind of natural LHW from the outset of his career who pulled himself down in weight, ala De La Hoya at 130 & 135.

14. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

What I'm saying is hop clearly had the frame to move up. Hagler never did. It's dishonest to penalize Hagler in this discussion for body type.

15. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Im glad somebody else feels this way. I felt like I was drifting through deep space like bender in futurama there.:eek:ld:

16. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

I guess this isn't as cool as I thought.

17. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

So what are you suggesting? We shouldn't include the stuff Hopkins did post-middle?

18. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Include it, of course, just don't weight (sorry I'm not sure how to avoid that weak pun!) it massively more favourably.

19. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

So where the incentive to take fights against bigger guys that most think you'll lose?

20. broadwayjoe

broadwayjoe Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    I think it's possible you don't know very much about Hagler.

21. Jake

Jake WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    yeah, you kind of swung and missed with that one :lol:

22. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

11 years, man!

23. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

To be fair, Hopkins skipped 168.

24. broadwayjoe

Home Page:
    This.

And...let's not forget that the 168 lb division didn't even exist for most of Hagler's career. And at that time it was a joke of a division that nobody gave a rat's ass about. For the folks who criticize Hagler for waiting for Hearns and Leonard to move up to Middlewight whiie not moving up himself, do you really think Hagler moving up to fight Murray Sutherland or Chong-Pal Park would be more significant and dangerous fights than Hearns and Leonard, or even many of Hagler's other challengers??

25. broadwayjoe

Home Page:
    Yeah, but outside of Tarver, Hopkins name fights at 175 were against fighters from 168 and below who also moved up.

26. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

Fair.

Still, even if you consider Pascal a former 168lber, the fact remains that he's the champion of the light heavyweights and he beat Chad Dawson.

27. broadwayjoe

Home Page:
    I definitely consider Pascal a former 168lber. So far in his career, he has fought the bulk of his fights at that weight, including a title fight there before moving up. Let's see how his career (and Dawson's) unfolds before deciding how significant that fight is.

I suppose Hagler could have moved up to 175 after the Leonard fight and cherry picked a title during the free for all that was going on after Spinks moved up to heavy...but I can't recall anyone who was interested in seeing Hagler make that move at that time. It's easy to look back and say Hagler never made a move up, but it's important to have a handle on what the boxing landscape looked like at that time.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  28. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

Fighting and beating Tarver wasn't cherry picking a title though.

29. broadwayjoe

Home Page:
    I didn't say that...although I don't think Tarver was ever remotely an elite fighter. There wasn't much of a reason for Hagler to make the move up at that time, outside of padding his resume with an alphabet belt or two for relative chump change. And after 15 years of consistently fighting quality opposition before losing his title in a fight he had been wanting for years and not getting a rematch, I don't blame him for retiring when he did.

30. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

Totally fair. Still, in my eyes, you can only go so far with reasons why someone did something and someone else didn't. Hopkins has put the time in since middleweight, won two fights where he was almost universally expected to get spanked, and in my opinion, seperated himself from Marvin Hagler. To each his own.