The Official Scorecard Thread

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by roughdiamond, Dec 18, 2020.

1. scartissue

scartissue Scrub

I watched another of William's uploads today. The first fight between middleweight champ Joey Giardello and Rocky Rivero. A non-title 10 rounder from Cleveland with Ohio's 5 point must system in effect. Here we go.

Joey Giardello v Rocky Rivero I

Round 1: 5-4 Giardello
    Round 2: 5-4 Giardello
    Round 3: 5-4 Rivero
    Round 4: 5-5 Even
    Round 5: 5-4 Giardello
    Round 6: 5-4 Giardello
    Round 7: 5-4 Giardello
    Round 8: 5-4 Giardello
    Round 9: 5-4 Rivero
    Round 10: 5-4 Rivero

Total: 47-44 Giardello (actual scores: 46-45 twice for Giardello and 46-45 for Rivero for a split win for Joey)

The 3rd round was the best of the night where they really went at it. But try as Rocky did, Giardello was a real master at stifling most attacks by Rocky with that stabbing jab of his. Good fight. Also, it was cool spying a young Lou Duva in Joey's corner at the start. I always thought he was perpetually old, so this was new.

Jel likes this.
  2. scartissue

scartissue Scrub

Erik Morales v Guty Espadas I

Round 1: 10-9 Morales
    Round 2: 10-9 Morales
    Round 3: 10-10 Even
    Round 4: 10-10 Even
    Round 5: 10-9 Morales
    Round 6: 10-9 Espadas
    Round 7: 10-9 Espadas
    Round 8: 10-10 Even
    Round 9: 10-9 Espadas
    Round 10: 10-9 Morales
    Round 11: 10-9 Espadas
    Round 12: 10-9 Espadas

Total: 116-115 Espadas (actual scores: 116-112 twice and 115-113 all for Morales)

This was as good a Draw as there was. Very little between them in this fight. Morales looked off his game and as for Espadas there was no urgency at all despite this being the biggest fight of his life. The only time I saw him really come alive was the last 40 seconds of the 12th. Can't blame his corner because they were trying to set a fire under him. Some very close rounds here. The 116-112's were way off the mark.

3. scartissue

scartissue Scrub

Saw a terrific little 10 rounder today, which I missed way back in '82. So, 39 years later I finally get my chance to see this.

Saoul Mamby v Monroe Brooks

Round 1: 10-10 Even
    Round 2: 10-9 Mamby
    Round 3: 10-9 Mamby
    Round 4: 10-9 Mamby
    Round 5: 10-9 Mamby
    Round 6: 10-9 Mamby
    Round 7: 10-9 Brooks
    Round 8: 10-9 Mamby
    Round 9: 10-9 Mamby
    Round 10: 10-9 Mamby

Total: 99-92 Mamby

I don't know the official scores. It was announced as a unanimous decision with no point totals and even boxrec has nothing on it. But let me tell you, despite my somewhat lop-sided score, Brooks was in every round. He slathered Mamby's body every chance he got, but Mamby was able to handle everything that came his way and dished it and then some. Really good, underrated fight.

BTW, Larry Holmes was ringside color commentating with John Condon and if you were listening to Larry cheerleading, there was a very good reason. He was best friends with Mamby for years. I knew this, but I'm sure the audience didn't. And if you are to listen to Larry's partial meanderings, you wouldn't think anyone was in there with Mamby at all. He ignored everything that Brooks was doing and strictly focused on Mamby.

Jel and Xplosive like this.
  4. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Lennox Lewis-Ray Mercer

Round 1: Lewis
    Round 2; Mercer
    Round 3: Mercer
    Round 4: Lewis
    Round 5: Mercer
    Round 6: Mercer
    Round 7: Lewis
    Round 8: Lewis
    Round 9: Mercer
    Round 10: Lewis

95-95

Xplosive likes this.
  5. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Gennady Golovkin-Danny Jacobs

Round 1: Golovkin
    Round 2: Jacobs
    Round 3: Jacobs
    Round 4: Golovkin (10-8)
    Round 5: Golovkin
    Round 6: Jacobs
    Round 7: Jacobs
    Round 8: Golovkin
    Round 9: Golovkin
    Round 10: Jacobs
    Round 11: Jacobs
    Round 12: Golovkin

114-113 GGG

George Crowcroft likes this.
  6. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

You were able to rewatch Golov-Jacobs?

I couldn't. It was boring, from my recollection. But yeah, I too had Golov winning by the slimmest of margins.

7. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I loved that fight, although I suppose I didn't have anything to compare it to. I've always had it 6-6 with a KD for GGG, seen it about four times too. I find GGG extremely overrated, but he will always have that special banner of the guy who really got me into boxing.

Erratic, Jel and Xplosive like this.
  8. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    I thought it was a pretty decent fight.

Based on how well Jacobs did, along with his style, I remember thinking I wanted to see him fight Canelo.

But then that turned out shitty.

9. Jel

Jel WBC Champion

Roberto Duran v Lou Bizzarro

This was the only one of Duran's lightweight title fights I'd never watched in full before and I have to say... it worked better than sleeping pills last night.

During this period of his lightweight reign, Duran had a series of defenses against runners - first this one against Bizzaro, then against Vilomar Fernandez (who was a bit better than that description as Alexis Arguello would find out the following year) and Edwin Viruet - they were fighters who largely came to survive and make things as awkward for Duran as possible by running and holding.

Bizarro, who could have doubled for Andy Kaufman during his wrestling years, had a favourite combination in this fight of left hand tickle followed by a full hug when Duran got close. Duran persevered and eventually got his rewards, first in the 10th and then in the 14th and, for Bizzarro, final round.

I remember watching the KO many times and always wondering why Waldemar Schmidt allowed Bizzarro to take that final knockdown - it seemed completely excessive as he could barely stand. I now know after having watched the previous 13 turgid rounds that he did this just to make doubly sure that Bizzarro wouldn't make it to his feet and then run off again.

My scorecard reflects two things:
    1. Duran was the aggressor and even though it wasn't always effective aggression, it was enough to take rounds
    2. Bizzarro deserved to lose a point each round for doing nothing except running and holding.

I was even less generous to Leoncio Ortiz in my scoring of that fight recently but this one makes me feel like rescoring that and giving Ortiz some rounds out of courtesy as he fought far better than Bizzarro.

In fairness, I did give Bizzarro a couple of rounds - the 7th where he 'knocked' Duran down twice and the 11th, where he landed a series of right hand leads as Duran rushed in to try and finish him off after having scored two genuine knockdowns of his own in the previous round. Bizzarro showed some heart here, not just a fast pair of heels.

But having watched this fight I think I've now finally solved the riddle of why Duran quit against Leonard - he had an in-fight flashback to this fight and couldn't be bothered with a re-run. I'm joking, of course, but that was just about the longest 14 rounds I've watched.

1 10-9
    2 10-9
    3 10-9
    4 10-9
    5 10-9
    6 10-9
    7 9-10 (Bizarro catches Duran with a couple of good counters. Duran is down twice in the round - the first time is not acknowledged by the ref and the second is ruled a slip. I think they were both slips but Bizzarro landed a punch each time)
    8 10-9
    9 10-9
    10 10-7 (Duran puts Bizzarro down twice in quick succession and Waldemar Schmidt could really have stopped it here - poor Lou looked out on his feet both times he got up. The bell was the only thing that saved him)
    11 9-10
    12 10-9 (Bizzarro down again but ruled a slip which is a fair ruling)
    13 10-9
    (128-117)
    14 Duran KO Bizzarro
    (finally, Duran flattens Bizzarro for good)

Sweet Pea likes this.
  10. scartissue

scartissue Scrub

I was perusing youtube today for something to sink my teeth into and I was stunned to find this fight. Never knew it would surface but Ironbar downloaded it only yesterday. I waited 45 years to see this. I remember when it took place, read all the accounts on it and just assumed it was as it was written. Well...maybe not.

Vacant WBA welterweight championship - Angel Espada v Clyde Gray

Round 1: 10-9 Gray
    Round 2: 10-9 Gray
    Round 3: 10-9 Gray
    Round 4: 10-10 Even
    Round 5: 10-9 Espada
    Round 6: 10-9 Gray
    Round 7: 10-9 Espada
    Round 8: 10-9 Gray
    Round 9: 10-9 Espada
    Round 10: 10-9 Espada
    Round 11: 10-9 Gray
    Round 12: 10-9 Espada
    Round 13: 10-9 Espada
    Round 14: 10-9 Gray
    Round 15: 10-9 Gray

Total: 144-142 Gray (actual scores: 146-143, 147-139 and 148-134 all for Espada)

I should never trust anything until I lay my eyeballs on it. Luis Sulbaran, the judge who had it 148-134 should have just stayed home and mailed his card in. He wasn't planning on watching the fight to begin with with a card like that. This was a damn close fight and a draw would have been OK with me. With everything that was written on it (I must admit all by a Puerto Rican correspondent by Ring mag) I was expecting Espada to explode at any minute. Well, he didn't. It was Gray who forced the whole issue and had Espada hanging on like a lost lover by fight's end. I would love to hear anyone else's card on this one, but be forewarned. The vid is from Canadian TV who lean towards Gray and the audience absolutely scream at anything Espada throws, even a jab that comes up short, so don't be swayed by either.

Jel likes this.
  11. Ring Leader

Ring Leader Undisputed Champion

If you're still interested, I recently watched some other fight broadcasts from that time period and they explain that Chicago used essentially a "10-point total" system, in which the combined points distributed for each round would have to add up to 10, i.e.: an even round would be divided 5-5 between the fighters, a close one awarded to the winner 6-4, and a more decisive round 7(or more)-3(or less).

Incidentally, I also rewatched Gavilan-Bratton II recently and scored it 8-1-1 for Gavi. The ONLY round I gave to Bratton was the 7th, and that's because I was forced to do so by the ref's (BS, IMO) penalty. Otherwise, I scored the 1st round even and gave all the rest to Gavi. I don't think there was a single round where I thought Bratton either clearly outfought Gavi or sustained an offense against him. At best IMO, he made a few rounds close enough to be scored even, but he was generally outboxed and outlanded throughout most of the rounds.

12. Ring Leader

Gavilan-Graham III

I watched a film version of this fight from a different camera angle than the one on YT, with voice-over narration from NY Daily News sportswriter Gene Ward and fake crowd noise. Nevertheless, I saw the fight basically the same as I always have.

-I scored rounds 1-5, 7, 8, 10, and 11 for Gavilan.

-I scored 6, 9, and 12-15 for Graham.

-Gavilan winner 9-6.

Once again, I feel Graham just didn't let his hands go enough (except in the clinches) over the first 10-11 rounds to win many of them, and Gavilan had built up an insurmountable lead by the time Graham opened up in the championship rounds. Ward's narration focused a lot on how well Graham was able to slip or block Gavilan's punches, but didn't give Gavi enough credit for many clean hooks and uppercuts that Gavi laded at close quarters IMO.

George Crowcroft and Jel like this.
  13. George Crowcroft

Glen Johnson vs Antonio Tarver I

Interesting fight this, I've heard claims of robbery, but on face value, it's hard to believe Johnson was the benefactor of an actual robbery, rather than the winner of a close fight. Although I do enjoy the irony of Tarver winging that he was robbery getting on Johnson's nerves in the post fight interview. Another interesting thing is that this is one of the only instances I can think of where both fighters denounce and give a big ol' "fuck you" to the sanctioning bodies.

Johnson more aggresive in the first, easily out-working Tarver and taking it on my card. Good action in the second, quality from Tarver, quantity from Johnson. For me, the volume and body punching from Glen took this one by a hair. Great third, I'm giving the edge to Tarver, based on his bodywork and three-piece combos which he lets off. Tarver seemed to listen to McGirt's advice and throw more in combinations and really focus the body, he landed some very nice straight lefts in a row which earned him another close round on my card. Even after four.

Tarver eating big shots, supposedly playing possum. Whether he was or not, he lost the round. Tarver landing three to one (quite literally by compubox's reckoning), and painting Tarver on the way in. More action in seven, Johnson throwing more. Grunting as though needing a breather, it's fuckin annoying. Tarver doing what did in the sixth.

Johnson seemed more sprightly than Tarver early in the ninth, but it didn't last. Tarver's jab seemed to be too good for him though, and he set up more powerful crosses. Johnson's right finding a home in the ninth, but still a sucker for Tarver's lead-hand. Tarver resting in the tenth. Johnson seemed more active in the eleventh, and I thought he landed a lot of bigger shots in there. Tarver's jab still landing with ease. Unbelievable 12th and final round. Tarver hurt Glencoffe and seemed to win even without that. He really let his shots go there.

Johnson - Tarver
    10 : 9
    10 : 9*
    9 : 10
    9 : 10 (38/38)
    9 : 10 (76/76)
    9 : 10 (114/114)

Me and Lederman only disagreed on one round here, that being the second. Like I said, a close fight; no robbery. Both very good, short of great fighters who put on a show, though. Definitely worth a watch and a scorecard.

I think Tarver's style is misunderstood. Most seem him as monster who hunts a fighter down and destroys guys with power which is near the top of the divisions' history. In reality, he was much more of a boxer than a puncher. Very high-level jab, his amateur pedigree showing with his set up to the body and of his left hand. Subtle defence too. He was much more of a low output counter-puncher with had elite skills. This fight definitely shows IMO that he was prone to being out-worked.

Ring Leader likes this.
  14. Sweet Pea

Sweet Pea Leap-Amateur

Yeah, I thought Gavilan was a pretty clear winner in that one, too. I like Bratton and he did some fine boxing in it so I never made a fuss, but it really makes you wonder what Gavilan’s record would look like with fairer judging.

Ring Leader likes this.
  15. Ring Leader

Just from what I've seen, he was robbed against Bratton, Saxton, and Womber. He also lost split decisions to Graham, Villemain, and Costner on hostile turf (which has to at least raise an eyebrow) and his losses to Felton and Waterman were widely denounced as robberies.

16. George Crowcroft

Willie Pastrano vs Harold Johnson

Despite being faded, I remember thinking Johnson should've won this clearly, but I can't really remember the fight's details. Figured it was due a rewatch, so I stuck it on this morning.

Early on, Johnson is throwing the better jabs but seems to not be landing. He's putting together some nice shots off the jab though, with a short lead hook, and a weirdly-angled right uppercut. Pastrano showing crazy speed of foot and a same with his hands. Impressive start for both, Pastrano landing a bit cleaner in the first, whereas Johnson seemed to get the better of the second and third. Both of these guys were really quick, especially with their hands. Johnson's head-movement was quick and slippery, but his feet had slowed. Pastrano's feet are rapid, but rapid in sort of non-explosive way. He reminds me - speed wise - of Katsunari Takayama, unbelievably quick, but lacking that same snap of a Roy Jones Jr.

Johnson's offense is quite misunderstood IMO. People often paint him as a jab-jab-jab guy like a Virgil Hill. He showed an awesome ability to string shots together, to the body and the head. A sneaky left hook and cross-counter, as well as not being shy of the uppercut. He's definitely the one throwing better through the mid-rounds here, if anything it's Pastrano who's relying on the jab. Their workrates both seemed to slow, but their overall speed didn't. It got a bit worse late, but I think that was more to do with Johnson taking over, rather than due to fatigue.

Pastrano - Johnson
    9 : 10 (47/48)
    9 : 10 (94/96)
    9 : 10 (140/145)

Not a boring fight as I remembered, but a decision I wasn't fond of.

Ring Leader and Jel like this.
  17. Jel

Jel WBC Champion

Sumbu Kalambay v Herol Graham 1 and 2

Watched both of these, or at least as much as I could find of the first fight, which was missing 5 rounds but Kalambay looked like he controlled what I saw of it. But the second fight was a shocker of a decision in my view. Graham deserved the win but was impeded by some awful refereeing and some bad judging. I can see a few rounds might have gone Kalambay's way so my scorecard could be closer but Graham made Kalambay look sloppy and controlled the action - he deserved the decision.

Sumbu Kalambay v Herol Graham 1

1 10-9
    2 round missing
    3 10-9
    4 round missing
    5 round missing
    6 10-9
    7 round missing
    8 round missing
    9 10-9 (close)
    10 10-10
    11 9-10 (close)
    12 10-8 (Graham badly rocked and takes a standing 8 count)

Kalambay 5 rounds to 1 with 1 even from what was available.

Sumbu Kalambay v Herol Graham 2

1 9-10
    2 7-10 (Kalambay is put down twice in the round. The first looked debatable, possibly a slip but the second was a KD as Graham countered him. Kalambay wasn't hurt either time)
    3 10-9
    4 9-9 (I thought Graham edged it but got a point deduction. Not sure what the ref is doing)
    5 9-10 (Kalambay landed sporadically but Graham controlled the round. The ref is pissing me off with his warnings)
    6 10-9 (close. Kalambay landed the better shots overall and won the second half of the round after a good start from Graham)
    7 9-10 (another very close one but Graham landed the better punches)
    8 10-10 (tough one to score)
    9 9-10 (Kalambay landed the best punch of the round but Graham was outboxing Kalambay)
    10 9-10
    11 9-10
    12 10-8 (scrappy final round. Kalambay landed the biggest punches and wobbled Graham, then the ref gave Graham another bullshit point deduction)

Kalambay 111-115 Graham

18. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Scored Pintor/Zarate. It's common to hear people say it was a bad decision - that Zarate deserved the nod. But I didn't see it at all. I felt Pintor clearly outboxed Zarate. He outjabbed him, despite being shorter, did more bodywork, and generally outworked Zarate. A split decision was being generous to Zarate. Zarate had no answers and was clearly just going for the knockout (as he had successfully done in almost all of his prior fights). But he did not do enough to win rounds.

Pintor vs Zarate
    10-9
    10-9 Zarate did little in the second and even less in the first
    9-10 close round
    8-10 Nice combo from Zarate but Pintor not hurt at all
    10-9
    10-9
    10-9 close round
    10-9 close round
    10-9
    10-9 Zarate staggered
    10-9 clear round for Pintor
    9-10 Zarate finay with some aggression but still close
    10-9 Pintor making Zarate miss
    10-9
    10-9 Zarate tired
    146-138

19. scartissue

scartissue Scrub

I felt it was a very close fight and had it 145-143 for Zarate.

20. George Crowcroft

I had it for Pintor by a point. It was a very close fight IMO.

scartissue and Jel like this.
  21. Jel

Jel WBC Champion

I had it to Zarate by 2 points. It was very close and could have gone either way.

scartissue likes this.
  22. Jel

Jel WBC Champion

Rodrigo Valdez v Bennie Briscoe 2

This was a war. Briscoe started fast and forced the pace but Valdez responded in kind and the two just went hell for leather. Loved it.

1 10-9
    (Cracking opener - Valdez definitely hurts Bennie but they both go all out)
    2 9-10
    (close. another superb action round. Briscoe just about edged it - great exchanges)
    3 9-10
    (Valdez tries to stick and move for a bit before Briscoe backs him up to the ropes and unloads)
    4 10-9
    (they're both detonating bombs in there!)
    5 10-9
    (Valdez throwing hard shots with good accuracy)
    6 10-9
    (58-56)
    7 Valdez TKO Briscoe
    (Briscoe was bossing the action for most of the round and then out of nowhere Valdez drops another huge bomb and flattens him for the only KO defeat of his 95 fight career. Stunning end to a great fight)

23. scartissue

scartissue Scrub

Just watched what should be regarded as a classic. The second fight between Alan Minter and Kevin Finnegan. All I can say is Wow! The film is pristine, like it happened yesterday rather than 45 years ago. All 15 rounds are here. I thought something was missing but it was the round kid carrying around the wrong card for the next round (this is why chicks need to do this. If a mistake was made I wouldn't have noticed). Anyways, here we go in a very fast-paced 15 rounder under British scoring of 10 - 9 1/2 per round.

Alan Minter v Kevin Finnegan II (British middleweight title)

Round 1: Minter
    Round 2: Minter
    Round 3: Minter
    Round 4: Even
    Round 5: Minter
    Round 6: Even
    Round 7: Minter
    Round 8: Minter
    Round 9: Finnegan (it might be generous to Finnegan, but I gave him a 2 point round for his early battering)
    Round 10: Minter
    Round 11: Finnegan
    Round 12: Finnegan
    Round 13: Minter
    Round 14: Finnegan
    Round 15: Finnegan

Total: 147-146 Minter (actual score: Roland Dakin actually had it closer at 147 1/2 - 147 for Minter)

Can't say enough about this fight. By the time Finnegan realized his lead right was lethal to the southpaw Minter, Alan had already banked several rounds. Kevin was cut to pieces and Alan was hurt in rounds 9 and 15. About that 9th round. Finnegan really battered Minter that round but Minter was fighting back at the end of the round. It was a leap, but I felt Finnegan had a 2 pointer that round. Pure guts here, guys. They fought to the very last second. Highly recommend this. What a fight!

Double L and Jel like this.
  24. Jel

Jel WBC Champion

Barry McGuigan v Eusebio Pedroza

A dominant title-winning performance from McGuigan. Pedroza was experienced enough to survive to the final bell after being in big trouble in the 7th (when he was knocked down), 9th and 13th rounds but he was largely just surviving over the second half of the fight.

1 9-10
    2 10-9 (Pedroza started the round well before McGuigan started landing some good shots)
    3 10-9
    4 10-9
    5 9-10 (close)
    6 10-9
    7 10-8 (a right followed by a short left hook puts Pedroza down)
    8 10-9
    9 10-9 (Pedroza in big trouble at the end of the round and on rubbery legs - the bell comes to his rescue)
    10 10-9 (closs)
    11 10-9
    12 9-10
    13 10-9 (Pedroza boxing well but then all of a sudden he's on shit street again from McGuigan hooks)
    14 9-10 (smart tactics from Pedroza - keeping mobile and countering well then smothering McGuigan before he can counter)
    15 10-9

McGuigan 146-138 Pedroza

scartissue likes this.
  25. Jel

Jel WBC Champion

Lee Roy Murphy v Chisanda Mutti

Just a crazy fight. I'd seen the knockout but never sat through the whole fight before. Larry Hazzard obviously knew what he was doing in there because in the 9th, I thought Murphy was done. He turned his back from Mutti's onslaught and I felt sure it should be stopped but Murphy then went down and in a funny way I think getting floored actually saved him.

Murphy started coming back the very next round and then came the 11th - it had the feeling of one of those wild ones like Lee-LoCicero or Castillo-Corrales and in most other years it would have been ROTY but this was the same year as Hagler-Hearns so no chance that that would happen.

After the amazing 11th came the incredible finish - it was like watching two drunk men trying to dance with each other. Mutti had clearly had a few more Jaeger bombs because he stayed in a praying position for the full ten count.

Great stuff.

1 10-9 (close. Good opener)
    2 9-10
    3 9-10 (close)
    4 9-10
    5 9-10
    6 9-10
    7 9-10
    8 9-10
    9 8-10 (Larry Hazzard could easily have stopped it in this round when Murphy turned his back. Ironically, the knockdown probably saved him.)
    10 10-9 (close)
    11 10-8 (incredible round. Murphy puts Mutti down but Mutti keeps coming back)
    (101-106)
    12 Murphy KO Mutti (double knockdown and Murphy makes it to his feet but Mutti doesn't. Astonishing finish)

George Crowcroft and scartissue like this.
  26. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Whitaker-McGirt 1

Round 1: Whitaker
    Round 2: Whitaker
    Round 3: McGirt
    Round 4: McGirt
    Round 5: Even
    Round 6: Whitaker
    Round 7: Whitaker
    Round 8: Whitaker
    Round 9: Whitaker
    Round 10: Whitaker
    Round 11: McGirt
    Round 12: McGirt

Whitaker 116-113

27. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Bowe-Holyfield 2

Round 1: Bowe
    Round 2: Holyfield
    Round 3: Bowe
    Round 4: Bowe
    Round 5: Holyfield
    Round 6: Holyfield
    Round 7: Even
    Round 8: Holyfield
    Round 9: Bowe
    Round 10: Holyfield
    Round 11: Holyfield
    Round 12: Bowe

Holyfield 115-114

I scored the Fan Man round even. Holyfield had started the round off with a nice right hand, but Bowe controlled the first minute with his jab, which he had gone away from. Then Holyfield got the better of the round after the break.

I don’t really feel strongly one way or the other about how the fight would have gone if he didn’t come down, it’s tough for me to gauge. Holyfield had hurt Bowe late in round 5, and had a very good round 6. Tough to say if Bowe was turning things back around with his jab, or if Holyfield was going to get to him again with big shots.

Where Holyfield won it on my card (and probably the official cards too) were rounds 10 and 11. They were close rounds that I gave to Holyfield because he finished stronger.

28. Jel

Jel WBC Champion

Johnny Bratton v Charley Fusari

RBR:
    1 Even (cracking opener - could have gone either way)
    2 Fusari (more quality action. Fusari taking it to Bratton)
    3 Bratton
    4 Bratton (flash knockdown in a round Fusari was otherwise winning)
    5 Bratton (some good rights from Bratton)
    6 Bratton (some great action as Fusari battles back after taking some punishment from Bratton. Still Bratton's round though)
    7 Fusari (Fusari continues his strong end to the previous round by giving Bratton a beating)
    8 Fusari
    9 Bratton (good start from Fusari before Bratton lands some bombs - great action)
    10 Bratton (big right hand puts Fusari down hard and he barely makes the count. Bratton back in control)
    11 Fusari (close. Slower round which Fusari finishes stronger to take it)
    12 Fusari (similar to the previous round but Fusari clearly took it)
    13 Fusari (Fusari doing enough to take another round)
    14 Fusari (both fighters weary now but Fusari throwing more leather)
    15 Bratton (terrific final round action with Bratton finishing just the stronger)

7-7 with 1 even

On a 10 point must I had it 143-142 to Bratton.

Thanks to @Ring Leader for putting me on to this fight - it's a great one.

29. George Crowcroft

Antonio Esparragoza vs Marcos Villasana

Couldn't find my card and have lots of free time this morning. Figured why not rewatch, it's a great fight. I love watching the pair of them.

Esparragoza - Villasana
    9 : 10*
    10 : 9*
    10 : 9 (40/36)
    10 : 9* [-1]
    9 : 10 (78/73)
    9 : 10*
    10 : 9* (115/112)

• Lots of excellent action, here. These two had very entertaining styles and they gelled well, especially when Esparragoza sets himself up to let his combos go.
    • I remember thinking Esparragoza got lucky in this one in a previous watch. I can't remember whether I had it 6-6 in rounds or 7-5 for Villasana. Either way, I had it for one of them by one round and felt Esparragoza was lucky.
    • Esparragoza's flashy, quick-handed output was what took his share of the rounds on my card. In the early rounds, he also had great movement - although that faded around the third third.
    • Esparragoza looked really good in the early rounds but gave a lot of a ground in late rounds. I forgot just how damn fast Esparragoza was, especially when he let those combos fly.
    • Villasana looked completely unperturbed by everything Esparragoza threw at him. Great chin.
    • Villasana has point deducted in the fifth.

roughdiamond, Xplosive and Jel like this.
  30. Jel

Jel WBC Champion

Naoya Inoue v Nonito Donaire

Very good, although not quite great, fight. Inoue showed a good all-round game and his power while Donaire showed tremendous toughness and some good right hands too.

The later rounds rally from Donaire was impressive. I thought Inoue was in complete control until then so didn't see Donaire rallying but Inoue raised his level again after that and Donaire did well to make the final bell considering the punishment he was taking. Boxing needs more of this.

1 10-9
    2 9-10
    3 10-9
    4 10-9 (close)
    5 10-9 (Inoue wins big)
    6 10-9
    7 9-10
    8 9-10
    9 9-10
    10 10-9
    11 10-8 (the late rally is well and truly over. Strange knockdown as Donaire practically runs away to find a place to rest on the canvas. Inoue proceeds to beat the shit out of him when he gets back up.)
    12 10-9

Inoue 116-111 Donaire

roughdiamond and Xplosive like this.