The old movie thread: ratings and discussion' or some shiz

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by steve_dave (old account), Mar 21, 2007.

1. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

You may be right. I just thought he was miscast. He just didn't fit the part for me. The fact that the film was a steaming turd may have coloured my judgement.

2. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    He may have not been right for the role, but his performance was still top notch. Their are only two good things about that movie. Collin's acting and Dawson's tities.

3. Anthony

Motherfucker
    On another note, i sort of agree with you on Gladiator. Great movie, but i dont want to watch it again. It had many slow parts and i dont put it on the same level of re-watchability as Bravehart and 300. Gladiator is a better movie all around, but i dont want to see it again.

4. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

It's a bit of a strange one for me. I remember trying to explain this to one of my friends. I thought it was a good movie when I saw it at the movies. Thought it was good when I saw it on DVD and have had no compulsion to watch or own it since.

I've got no real complaints against the movie, it just doesn't interest me. 300 may be the same once I've seen it on DVD but I have thought about buying Troy. Not really a commentary about which film is better, just a personal preference.

I've seen a film like The Goonies a million times and will probably watch it again.

BTW, you're not allergic to eggs are you?

5. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    300 - 7/10.....it's ok, entertaining....fairly dodgy and cheesy....and why did a spartan have a scottish accent? :notallthere:

Ninja Turtles - kids movie, i didn't like it....i think the first turtles movie from 1990 kicks arse though

6. Maverick

Maverick Undisputed Champion

lol I actually agree. Farrell was ok imo, him Kilmer and Hopkins (however small his role is) shine the most, and Dawsons titties are a thing of beauty.

7. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Employee Of The Month: 6/10 Better than expected considering it had Jessica simpson and unfunny Dane Cook..the mexican guy from napoleon dynamite was pretty funny..PEDRO so was the fag andy dick..& Vince the enemy of Dane Cook in the movie...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  8. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

I feel the same way about Gladiator, except seeing as how I don't wish to see it again, I realize that I don't consider it a good movie. I think there was just to much happening all at once in the story and that caused it to be kind of sloppy or rushy feeling to me. Anyway do you ever watch a movie and something about it just makes you feel uncomfortable and ruins the movie but you don't know what it is? That's Gladiator for me.

Anyway I liked KOH too. I also thought Bloom was just fine in that movie just as he was just fine in Troy.

9. Anthony

Motherfucker
    You think Gladiator was rushed? Are you kidding me?

10. MassaCure

MassaCure Undisputed Champion

now troy is rushed if u want to talk about a rushed, inaccurate style over substance piece of shit movie

11. MassaCure

koh sucked
    troy sucked harder
    braveheart sucked as well
    and alexander sucked in more ways than one

12. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    Let's Go to Prison: It had some really funny parts and Lyshitski was excellent. Nelson Biederman the 3rd and 4th were both really good as was Barry.

Idiocracy: this was pretty good as well. The President was one of the best things about the movie. It had a lot of biting social satire, and it poked fun at pretty much everyone equally. The kid from the Mac commercials does a good cameo as the doctor.

BRAWNDO, THE THIRST MUTILATOR!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. Anthony

Motherfucker
    [​IMG]

THE REAPING:

Very Predictable movie, but not terrible. Critics Tore it apart, but it had its fun moments. This movie is basically a mixture of Wicker man and Stigmata.

6/10

14. osfan

osfan Undisputed Champion

The locust scene is awesome, too bad they didnt show more skin in that scene where David Morrissey knocked Hilary Swank up. :warning:

15. Black Market Baby

Black Market Baby International Degenerate

Grindhouse - rating pending.

As an experience, it was fun. The fake trailers of other movies, the "missing reels", etc. Interesting. The actual movies mimic old "B" movies. The first "Planet Terror" was a bloody gore fest with bad acting (on purpose), bad dialogue (on purpose), missing plot points (again, on purpose). It was a fun watch and had a number of laughs just because how bad it was presented. Rodriguez did a good job at making the movie feel like it was an old grindhouse movie.

Death Proof - Excellent job from Kurt Russell. I thought his role was good especially looked at through the whole movie. Lots of dialogue typical of a tarantino movie. Truthfully, I can't stand Tarantino.... most of the time his characters all sound the same. His writing is similar for all his characters, Samuel Jackson and John Travolta could have taken the place of Rosario Dawson and Tracie Thoms and aside from the lack of tits, no one would have noticed. He hits the mark for the last 30 minutes of DeathProof, nice car chase with a great end. Zoe Bell did an amazing job doing her own stunts (the chick on the hood of the car).

16. StingerKarl

StingerKarl Ace Degenerate

Bobby Crane

Damn, "Auto Focus" huh, stevedave?
    My family and I met Bob Crane in summer of 1978 in Houston at the Dean Goss Dinner Theater where he was starring in "Beginner's Luck" after the play when he talked to everyone and signed autographs and took pictures.
    I still have the program at my mom's house that he signed for me.
    Super nice guy and I was shocked when I heard that he was murdered a short time later before I went to work that morning.
    He had gray/black hair, was dark and had those "Crows Feet" pronounced around his eyes, not a tall guy, but stocky, maybe 5'8-5'9 that was dressed immaculately and had pearly white teeth.
    He told my sister that he had a daughter that was her age and he was wearing a green leisure suit which was the fashion of the day with expensive black alligator loafers, top of the line.
    It was a big deal for him or a tv celebrity of his magnitude to come to Houston in those days.
    The Dean Goss Dinner Theater was next door to the Astrodome off of Kirby, so I know my old man must have paid a lot for those tickets.
    Crane was a very funny and witty guy, a terrific actor and one that got a standing ovation and came out to take bows.
    Thanks for the memories.
    Karl

17. HairysonFord

HairysonFord Undisputed Champion

Likewise. I'm old enough to remember in my early 20s that was a big deal to go to the Dean Goss Theatre.

BTW, Dean Goss was at one time married to Patsy Goss, a onetime Playmate who was an English lit instructor at San Jac College where I attended. She use to come into class with mini-skirts on, wearing thongs, and sit on her desk in front of the class while teaching the class. Every guy I know had a hard on in that class. :lol: :lol:

18. lb 4 lb

Never saw the Wickerman but Stigmata is one of those movies that is so bad it seems to just disappear off the face of the earth. You never see it on HBO, Showtime, Cinnemax or cable, your friends don't own the DVD and nobody ever mentions it when discussing movies. An example would be Blair Witch Project 2.

So I now have no interest in seeing this movie.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  19. MassaCure

its got electrolytes

20. lb 4 lb

THE SKELETON KEY - 6/10 - If this movie was as good all the way through as the ending was it would have been an 8 or 9. Anyway it was about vodoo and shit, but was kind of boring through the middle. The ending though was one of the best I've come across in a while.

21. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

Watched Kingdom of Heaven. Wasn't bad but another film I probably wouldn't re-watch. I'm not sold on Orlando Bloom as far as playing the main role. I liked him in Pirates and LoTR but not so much in this. He was OK in Troy, I find him more suited to the co-star type role.

He may get there but not yet IMO.

22. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Turista: 3/10 A bus accident leave a couple of gringos stranded in a brazilian town....it's like HOSTEL..but not really....it's a fucking dry hump...:shit: some brazilian guy mad at gringos using and abusing his country will take it out on any gringos that come in his path..by removing their organs and giving them to the local brazilian hospitals....

[​IMG]

23. lb 4 lb

A bunch of guys at work watched this while I sat there posting. Afterwards they were all bitching about how much it sucked. I was glad I didn't watch it.
    :cheer:

24. lb 4 lb

BLOOD DIAMOND - 6/10 - Shit was aiight. Nothing special.

25. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

saw that movie today 5/10 boring.....but the last 45-40 minutes-the siege of Jerusalem was teh best part.....if i had it on dvd i would just jump to the last 40 minutes...:clap:

26. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

i was expecting something like HOSTEL..but what i got is 90 minutes of some gringos running around in the jungle and swiming in underwater caves...:doh:

27. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

Boiler Room: I liked this film. It isn't perfect but I think most of the actors do well including Vin Diesel and Ben Affleck. A modern homage to Glengarry Glen Ross.

28. TKO

TKO Administrator Staff Member

A similar movie but its doesn’t come close to Glengarry, Alec Baldwin gives the best cameo performance the world has ever seen, Pacino, Lemmon, Harris, Spacey aren’t bad either.

29. Outlander

Outlander Leap-Amateur

The Departed - 8.5/10 Modern Scorcese crime epic, fantastic performances by Jack Nicholson, Leo DiCaprio (who I usually hate, but he was good here), Matt Damon, especially Mark Wahlberg believe it or not. Lots of symbolism with the state Senate building always in the background, the whole "rats" theme. This film makes you tense the entire time, great drama, but at the same time there is a message to the madness if you look hard enough. A brilliant work of art in every aspect.

The Fountain - 7.5/10
    Would have given it a higher rating, but the ethereal and disjointed style will certainly make many hate it. I liked it. Hugh Jackman gives a basically flawless performance. Forget Wolverine, the guy can act. Again lots of symbolism, basically a treatise on death as seen in various timescapes. If you can stand the slow pace, it's worth it.

Hollywoodland - 7/10 In the past I could not stand Adrien Brody (see Summer of Sam), but given a chance to shine, he does. In fact, you'll miss his character when the movie ends. He's a fuckup P.I., but he's smart and cocky as hell. He kind of weasles himself into the major case of "Superman" star George Reeves's death, and gets in way over his head. It reminded me a bit of Paul Newman in "Harper". Not the best movie, but you've gotta love the gum-chewing wreck of a P.I. just trying to make a buck but usually getting the shit kicked out of him in the process. Worth renting. Or pirating.

Deja Vu - 6.5/10 A fine movie, but a bit cliche and classic happy happy Hollywood ending. Premise is great, though, and pace is excellent. No boring spots at all, mixes Sci-Fi with drama and Denzel does his usual great job as an ATF agent. Val Kilmer seconds as and FBI agent and does reasonaby well. Adam Goldberg GREAT as FBI computer geek, and Jim Caviezel (formerly Jesus) is excellent as calmly psychotic terrorist. If not for cheese factor and somewhat predictable plot it'd be higher.

Bobby - 6/10 Re-creation of last day of Bobby Kennedy's life, great premise, unbelievable cast (Elijah Wood, Christian Slater, William H. Macy, Anthony Hopkins, Helen Hunt, Demi Moore, Martin Sheen, Sharon Stone, Harry Belafonte, Emilio Estevez, Lawrence Fishburn, Ashton Kutcher, Lindsay Lohan, Shia Lebeouf, etc.). You'd think this must end up being the greates acting movie of all time, but it falls flat. Entertaining but really bland. Dialog is just passable, not bad but uninspired. Estevez is good, Hopkins is good, Ashton Kutcher is hilarious, Larry Fishburne does well, too in his small part - but the rest just kind of pass the time doing nothing. Good amount of historical data, clips from 60s, so you might learn something but you may be better off just hitting Wikipedia.

30. osfan

osfan Undisputed Champion

This movie is almost a frame by frame remake of Infernal Affairs, nothing to cheer about from creativity standpoint, definitely not deserved of best movie of the year award. It's all politics that get this movie to be a winner.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007