Thomas Hearns vs Oscar De La Hoya at 147lbs

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Destruction and Mayhem, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Tito has the best chance of getting stopped. SRL would outbox and out work Quartey but I don't see him hitting him at will or anything. He could hurt him and finish him but Quartey was never stopped and Leonard wasn't a huge puncher. And Quarteys style and the jab Leonard has to get a round and Quarteys physical strength don't really add up to Leonard mauling him.

2. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    I was being ultra sarcastic, alluding to the Janice Hopkins sham.

3. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    gotcha

4. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

No. Quartey has a better chance of getting stopped than Tito.

There's the possibility of Leonard being wary of Tito's power just enough to stay smart.

With Quartey, Leonard has FAARRR less power to worry about, and as Ike slows down, Leonard would likely go all out to stop him... not having to worry about the return fire.

I fail to see how Ike is anymore durable than Ayub Kalule, and Leonard got him out in 9.

Some people overrate Leonard's power... I thunk you're underrating it.

I have no doubt he had the power to stop Quartey.

5. Bordon

Ayub Kalule sucked. And Quartey was a good puncher who was physically stronger than Leonard. He's not walking through him "not having to worry about return fire." Lol He wasn't Jake Lamotta. Lamotta wouldn't "not have to worry about return fire" against Quartey. Be realistic.

6. Bordon

Quartey hit at least as hard as Duran at welter and he hurt Leonard several times.

7. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I honestly think Leonard was stronger than Quartey. Had more durability too and his left hook hit harder than Ike's right.

8. Bordon

I don't see any evidence of him being stronger than Quartey. Duran wouldn't have man handled Quartey like he did Leonard. Quartey wasn't a huge puncher but he was a string stocky guy.

9. Xplosive

Terp has a looonnnggg, loonnggg history of overrating the living HELL outta Ike Quartey.

I feel I rate Ike correctly. He was a good-to-very good welterweight. If he was in his prime RIGHT NOW, he'd be the best welter in world. But in history, there's a rather lengthy list of welterweights who would beat him.

Both Leonard AND Duran woulda beaten the snot outta Ike. Quartey plain and simple wasn't in there league, and quite honestly was too robotic to be difficult for either one.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  10. Xplosive

I don't buy that. Quartey wasn't a big hitter. Duran, despite being a smaller man, had more natural power than Ike.

But even IF Ike hit as hard or harder than Duran, it doesn't change the fact that he lacked Duran's quickness, fluidity, defense, in-fighting ability, and absolutely MOST importantly.... didn't have a FRACTION of Duran's stamina.

11. Bordon

It's not about over rating Quartey, it's about being realistic. Leonard could stop Quartey but saying he'd "walk through him without caring about return fire" is fucking ridiculous. Leonard never did that to anybody. Lol

A fighter is the sum of his parts and it's clear you rate the sum of Leonard so highly that you over rate all his parts. You seem to think he was pure KO puncher with Oliver McCalls chin implanted on a welter.

The main reason Leonard was a great fighter was because he was smart and there's no way he'd be dumb enough to "walk through" Quartey. He'd do what needed to be done to win which is moving and countering Quartey and making him follow him.

12. Bordon

Duran wasn't a bigger puncher and there's no evidence he was. And we're not talking about Ike beating Leonard, we're talking about Iron Ray Leonard deciding he could just walk through Quarteys punches. No one ever did that to Quartey and Leonard never did that to anyone.

13. Bordon

Quartey gives Duran hell because he's too strong for Duran too rough up inside and his jab can stop Duran as he tries to feint and pose his way inside or set up counters.

14. Xplosive

You're making it seem like I said Leonard would treat him like Pete Ranzany. That's not what I'm saying.

At SOME point, Leonard would catch Ike in between one of his flurries (which were sometimes wide and slapping) and hurt him. And once he smelled blood, he'd go all out to put Ike away. This is a man who stalked the most deadly welterweight who ever lived... I don't think he'd be too concerned with opening up to stop Quartey once he got him hurt.

Could I see Leonard winning a UD? Yes. But I feel a Leonard late stoppage is more likely. ESPECIALLY if we're talking a 15 rounder.

12 rounder, Ike has a better case for losing a decision.

15. Bordon

Ike had a solid chin and he showed he could ride the wave when need be. The only times he was badly hurt was late in fights from perfect shots from guys that hit at least as hard as Leonard. He could catch him and stop him but it's not likely which is why you manufactured this scenario where Leonard "walks through him" for a stoppage.

The only relevant guy Leonard walked through was a beat up bean pole in Tommy Hearns and he got manhandled and rocked several times by lightweight Duran. You're giving him physical attributes he just didn't possess.

16. Xplosive

Ride the wave when he need be? Against who? Lopez was one shot away from having him out, but JL was a terrible finisher. Couldn't put away a James Page that was begging to get stopped. And Oscar, who SOOOO nearly had him out in the 12th but got winded and had to regroup.

One thing that's definitely NOT overrated is Leonard's finishing ability. A strong case can be that he's the best finisher of all time time.

Ike's chances of surviving if Leonard got him in bad trouble aren't as bright as they were against Lopez and DLH.