Training / Diet 2020

Discussion in 'Training & Conditioning' started by Rich ´Money´ Mustard, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Irish! (anyone)

What´s your current routine / weight?

2. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Hut will hit a 500 deadlift this year :freaked:

3. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Yeah thats been and gone. Next goals are a +bodyweight weighted dip and a 140lb weighted chin. Hut one day become strongest girly wristed twig man in the land. Plugging away.

4. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Cardio? Or you just aiming for strength?

5. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I walk loads, basically as fast as i can, and my resting heart rates still right at the low end so i feel ok cardio wise.

What do you do? Gotta be honest, i find it all super boring apart from boxing, I think id struggle motivation wise

6. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

This is awesome: I do it 3-4x a week, 5-6km, fast pace with the missus.
    That's my cardio.

Boxing/Muay-Thai I stopped mainly because I lost strength/size (plus, I was getting hit too often by lighter guys in sparring)
    11-side football I quit because I value my knees/ACLs.
    So now it's just a mixture of 5x5 strength training and 4x10 lifting (one body-part per day).

Just trying to stave off death, basically...

7. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Haha, aye pretty much. Im just trying to fill out a tshirt & stay fit enough to make it to the 7th floor with my shopping. And mitigate the copious whisky intake. Lofty goals.

8. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Diet-wise, Im on (started weighing my food now):

• 4-5 scrambled egg-whites
    • 250g of tuna with salad or sweet potatoesl
    • 275g chicken (marinated in whatever spicy combination I can think of)
    • 50-75g of rice
    • Kibe - 75g
    (I've developed a craze for Arabic food and this especially with humous or colhada-seca)
    • Peanut butter (sugar/salt-free)
    • Pão de queijo - little balls if cheese-baked bread
    • Protein shake - when needed
    • Water 1L

The bad news is I developed a habit for Skyy Vodka & Coke Zero - it just mixes too good, and stupid savoury snacks at night.

9. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I eat nearly the same stuff every weekday. 4 meals with a couple random bits of fruit thrown in

1) 6 scrambled eggs with toast for breakfast. Plumb tomatos, spring onion, chorizo
    2) Skyr yoghurt & nuts
    3) A Chicken breast & big bowl of veg
    4) Some other rotating meat/fish & veg combo

My only indulgence is booze, tbh. Dont really have a sweet tooth, fortunately. Ocassionally have one scoop of raspberry ice cream with my whisky

10. Roll With The Punches

Home Page:

what a beast

whats your routine like?

11. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I dont really have one any more tbh - i have 6 or 7 lifts which i focus on at any given time & i have a progression scheme for each based on 3 or 4 work out waves, for example

4x9
    5x6
    6x3
    5x1

But no set routine, i just do each lift whenever i feel like it so one wave might take 2 weeks, the next one 3. Total frequency for upper body pressing and pulling can be really high like 4-6 times a week but i might only deadlift once every 5-7 days. When i feel like im stalling on a lift i swap it out for a close variation for a few weeks to resensitise myself to it....push press for strict press, deficit or block deadlift for dead, or whatever. I have the weights in my spare room so its easy for me to be pretty chaotic/'autoregulated'....feeling good this morning lets do more....knackered tonight lets do fuck all....probably not an approach a busy person who can only drive to the gym 3 times a week could get much use from

12. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Good routine.
    I can´t remember how many wasted hours I´ve spent with modern-complex routines when all anyone really needs, is a combination of ´The Big Five´ or an old-style routine.
    Anything else (goal-depending) and you need to add, a lot of time and surplus of SARMs in order to....get a load of ´Likes´ on Instagram and Facebook.

Anyone lifting should aspire to be like Milo from Croton :pop:

[​IMG]

13. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Im a bit of a nerd for this stuff, take in alot of 'evidence based' content from youtube and podcasts and the cool thing is about the science is that the deeper people get into it the fewer rules they ascribe....the deeper you get, the simpler it gets. Aim for a total weekly volume thats high enough to drive progress but low enough to recover from - go get it done when you can fit it in. Vary the rep ranges and, at least ocassionally, the lifts. If you're feeling burnt out back off for a week or two. Also compound lifts are a good thing to do. The end.

Roll With The Punches likes this.
  14. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I started the bench routine Hut*Hut instructed me years ago: 5x5 with 80 % on Monday, 2x5 60 % Wednesday, 3x1 95 % Friday. Once again my goal is to lift 220 lbs by the summer. I have tried it several times in the past ten years without luck, so far 215 lbs is the closest I have gotten.

Usually my problem has been that I am able to work out hard in springtime, whereas summer and autumn are much more busy and I lose whatever advance I have had. But here goes another try!

Besides these, I do about 3o minutes of hard running three times a week, and some basic moves such as pullups, dips, tricep extensions etc

15. Roll With The Punches

Home Page:
    Generally I've been trying to have Mon/Tues in the 8-10 reps and repeat Thurs/Fri for 5 reps
    seems good so far, I like it more than the basic '5rep for everything lineal scheme I've tried before..I'll stick with it for a while

16. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Ugo- maybe try smolov jr for a month or so if you just wanna focus on bench? You could adapt it to 3x a week no prob. Then transition to a peaking program- you'll blow past 220 no bother

20200217_084648.jpg

17. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Thanks, I try this later in the spring! Which day should I skip if I can only do three days?

Also, is the peaking program the one I described?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  18. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Id probably just do each day but just do it over three days?
    'week one' mon, wed, fri, mon/
    'Week two' wed, fri, mon, wed

Etc so itd take you 4 weeks rather than 3. Id probably do something else for a few weeks first to build up to it a bit. The previous program you typed out would probably be good both as a ramp up to it and a taper off it....although on the follow up/peak i might reduce mondays sesh to 3x5 since the purpose would be to dissapate fatigue for a few weaks to let you hit the PR, maybe 2 or 3 fridays after finishing smolov?

19. Roll With The Punches

Home Page:
    critique this home workout bro

Monday - lower
    Box Squats - 5 x 8-9
    Good Mornings - 5 x 10

Tuesday - upper
    Floor Press - 3 x 8-10
    Standing Press - 3 x 8-10
    Pendlay Rows - 5 x 10

Thursday - lower
    Box Squats - 3 x 5...plus 2 x 8
    Good Mornings - 5x10

Friday - upper
    Floor Press - 3x5
    Standing Press - 3x5
    Pendlay Rows - 5x10

20. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Yeah man, seems absolutely fine. Couple thoughts:

5x8-10 seems quite a lot, especially on squats unless you're keeping the relative intensity/rpe pretty low? I mean try it and it might be fine but 3 or 4 sets might be more sustainable

Also - good mornings instead of RDLs? Nothing wrong with good mornings but they are a bit riskier and more difficult to get right and you can use more weight on RDLs. But again, nothing wrong with what you've got if you prefer it

Again this is just personal preference, but id prefer to not do 2 similar exercises in one sesh - if it was me, id swap standing press for good morning and basically do 'full body' each sesh so im fresher for each. But again, just 100% personal preference, your upper/lower set up is good. Just know that mixing it up even more is a legit option if you feel like it (and one a lot top strength athletes are leaning towards recently).

Lastly theres basically nothing there for biceps, there's no shame in throwing in some curls for the girls!

21. Roll With The Punches

Home Page:
    how many sets of squats do you do each week? i used to do 3 but am trying box squats for a while and thought i'd up it to 5 since the weight is lighter...6 set for the whole week seems low too....maybe doing a 3x8 and 2 backoff sets is an option?

i get paranoid about not recovering on fullbody, unless its a mon/wed/fri fullbody...i'll definitely experiment with switching those around though

22. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    With recovery id just think of it as managing total workload through the week rather than recovering between discrete work outs. Overtraining tends to be whole body fatigue rather than individual muscles....as long as you arent getting tendon problems, you've no probs

On average i probably do 8-10 sets of squats over a week but i tend to keep workouts somewhere between 15-40 reps depending on intensity....so if im going heavier i might do 5 sets of 3 at ~85-90%, if im going lighter i might do 4 sets of 10 with ~65-70%.

But if youre working at home and you only have lighter weights maybe you wanna go higher

23. Roll With The Punches

Home Page:
    :Cowboy: you should post your entire routine

24. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Basically just the same as i posted back in feb, man. Albeit i totally wasted an intervening month doing something different

25. Roll With The Punches

Home Page:
    you don't have an order of what to train on what days?

I'll cut my squat and good mornings down to 4 sets each, and move the standing press to the lower day, plus a couple sets of curls after the rows...should be good :cheers: