UFC 193 |Ronda Rousey vs. Holly Holm

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Anthony, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Jeffy

Jeffy Undisputed Champion

I dont think that she will be able to keep it from going to the ground. Rousey will win this by armbar whenever she wants.

2. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    Drop what? She is clearly hurting people with her kicks. Clearly keeps her distance with them. The ABSOLUTE TWO main reasons for kicking. They teach you that as a white belt.

Being pretty is never a criteria unless you are in a tournament and showcasing. As far as MMA is concerned, she is pretty bad ass in the kicks department. And is often compared to Jones in terms of using kicks.

BTW, when a side kick is done right, the knee should be brought into the chest and then shot out at the opponent with the toes pointed up. That is how she does it. Her problem is. She gets tired and those side kicks get sloppy at times.

But hey, the proof is in the pudding. And the pudding is multiple fights with body crumpling kicks.

3. Punk

Punk "Twinkle Toes" McJack Staff Member

You said if I continue to argue after seeing that awesome YouTube highlight you posted, you'll drop it because I'm a madman. I'm just encouraging you to do that because it changes nothing for me. :lol:

Being pretty means nothing. Her form is simply poor. Her teeps have nothing on them, she hasn't learnt to step through them and just sorta flicks them out. Her roundkicks are OK, just OK, she slaps them rather than getting full hip and leg rotation. Her side kicks are stupid for one primary reason - elite strikers rarely use them because they're inefficient, and elite opponents see them coming for miles off. There's a reason you NEVER see side kicks in pro Muay Thai, and if a karateka coming to Muay Thai, get it smashed out of your repertoire very quickly. Same for axe kicks, crescent kicks, spinning roundhouse etc etc - they suck. The ONLY way you can pull them off is if you're fighting B-level strikers or scrubs (most important), or you're exceptionally good at them (secondary importance) like Jones. The best pure Thaiboxing strikers in the world just don't do them for a reason, because they are less effective and leave you open. Hence, they do not exist in pro Muay Thai.

When a side kick is done right, it's not done at all. But I see Holm being very sloppy with side kicks and teeps, and a bit less so with roundkicks. I really rate her kicking a C, i.e. average. Sure you can smash a few scrubs with them, anyone can.

I guess where this is all coming from is Rousey saying "Oh Holm is an elite-level striker". She's an elite level boxer, but not an elite striker because her leg game is weak. They're trying to pump Holm up as some sorta beast, and she's nothing of the sort and will get taken down and destroyed.

4. Anthony

Motherfucker
    You keep bringing up teeps. This isnt fucking Muy Thai man. Very few people throw the front kick, let alone effectively. MMA and Muy Thai are different animals and the kicks cant be done the same way. Especially with taking account the takedowns that can occur as a result of them. Yeah you dont see MANY side kicks in Muy Thai but there are some. The reason you dont see many is because the fights are generally fought in the pocket. You need actual room to do it. In MMA, a side kick can be a great weapon. Just watch any Jon Jones, Cung Le, McGregor, Anderson Silva & Holm fight. Cung Le is the best example. His side kicks were a thing of beauty.

I dont see how you can call side kicks inefficient when Holm has hurt people with them. That alone proves otherwise. And mashing video against some scrubs? She doesnt have that many fights.
    But look at Cung's opponents. Unless you are calling Silva, Shamrock, Bisping, Franklin, Cote Scrubs. Or Jones who has landed them against top opponents too. Unless you are calling mendes a scrub or Anderson's opponents scrubs when he lands them.

5. Punk

Punk "Twinkle Toes" McJack Staff Member

Mate I just asked John Wayne Parr why side kicks aren't used in pro Thai fighting. This guy;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne_Parr

He said this;

"They only work if you're a freak. Requires a big penetration set up and load time and a bladed stance that leaves you really open, and off balance if you miss"

The reason side-kicks are used in MMA is because the average striking level is B level. John Wayne Parr was surprised when he sparred elite MMA guys like Georges St Pierre because in striking only, he handled them all very very easily. Now JWP is one of the best strikers out there, but it remains - if MMA is to evolve, it has to employ the best striking and quite simply, side kicks and flashy karate and TKD shit ain't it.

6. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Complete horseshit. Sidekicks should be implemented MORE in MMA. If done right, it can create sever damage. It's not a surprise that those that utilize that side kick in MMA have success in the sport. Again, you cannot compare Muy Thai and MMA. Worlds apart. These muy thai guys can do a front teep, side teep, round house, etc and never worry about the takedown.

7. Anthony

Motherfucker
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W3N5Rnx37O0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

All I know, beyond any doubt is that Holm's striking as a whole has looked mediocre in her 2 UFC fights. I think she did a better job of controlling range in her 2nd fight, but she hasn't thrown fluid combinations and she looks like she lacks power. If you saw her 2 UFC fight ONLY, you would never guess in a million years that she was such an accomplished boxer. And you would probably think that she'd only being practicing kicks for a couple weeks.

Personally I think Ronda can knock her out standing. It won't be from range, but I have no doubt Rousey can pin her against the cage and land damaging shots. By the same token, it doesn't look like Holm has any infighting ability at all. If Ronda is able to close distance which doesn't seem like it will be difficult, Holly is done in under a round.

9. Jeffy

I have never been impressed by the striking of any woman besides maybe Riker. They all wing shots and resemble tough man contestants.

10. BOSS

BOSS TBD

You're dumb. Joanna is a killing machine.

11. Jeffy

Is somebody talking??

12. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Go to your room JEFFY and playing with your mother fucking crayons. Grown ups are talking.

13. Jeffy

Wow! Someones all riled up!! Lol

14. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Go change your username. It annoys me. You're a grown up now.

15. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Joanna's striking is beyond elite at the MMA level. Carla Esparza had decent timing and smooth striking and she looked like Danger from 'Million Dollar Baby' compared to Joanna.

16. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Totally agREED...

Ronda Rousey's COMPETITIVE ARROGANCE is On Par w/Jon Jones', in That She Not Only Wants to Win, She Wants to Beat her Opponent @ HER Own Game...Jones Flirted w/LOSING a Stand Up Battle w/Alexandr Gustaffson, Yet Eventually Pulled it Out w/an Elbow Strike...Took Glover Texiera to School via Stand Up...OUT WRESTLED Daniel Cormier...

Ronda Won't LOSE a Fight in the Name of this Cause, but She'll Definitely PLACE Herself in Potentially Compromising Positions, Looking to OUT STRIKE Holly Holm, in REED's Opinion...From Rousey's Perspective, that's THE Most Satisfying Way to Defeat Holly Holm...

REED:mj:

17. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Yeah nobody will give her any props at all if she just arm bars her. Maybe if she looks lost in the standup with Holm she has to go back to her roots but I don't see it. It's not impossible to see her knocking Holmes out, either. She will walk through Holms pity pat punches just to land something telling. And make no mistake the chance of Ronda knocking out Holm is higher than vice versa and that will be reflected in the oddsmaker's betting lines, too.

@ Anthony - how do you see Nunes - Tate going? I think Nunes will light her up something fierce. :lol:

18. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I'd be surprised if Holm lasts longer than a minute.

TFK

19. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Is this fight confirmed? I see this fight going similar to tate's last fight. She will take a beating in the first round, adjust. Take nunes down and either grind out a victory or sub her.

20. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I don't think she will survive a beating against Nunes. She needs to stop taking a beating in the first round anyways, adjust a little earlier maybe.

The fight is not confirmed, but likely I guess.

21. Anthony

Motherfucker
    nunes is a little overhyped IMO. Another one who hasn't beaten anyone of significance

22. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

The odds on any Rousey fight are going to be messed up until she looks vulnerable. This truly is what Tyson had going on pre-Buster and something we haven't seen since.

23. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I will be laying some change down on holm

24. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Really? LOL I bet on Correira last time. Got me nowhere lol

25. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Like most, I am feeling like Rousey is this mega-force so I won't be betting against her anytime soon. Plus, I like watching her winning so I don't want to have mixed feelings when she loses. I do think the smart money is to bet against her right now, though.

26. mw314159

mw314159 Undisputed Champion

Betting on Ronda doesn't get you much. You get your money back plus a tiny percentage. Betting on the underdog would probably be more exciting.

I'm not really a gambler, but I don't see anyone near Ronda's weight class who can beat her. I don't see Ronda losing anytime soon unless she does something stupid like not training hard or underestimating an opponent.

27. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Ya if you were to bet 1000 on Ronda for the Correira fight, I think you'd get back something like 1080. Hardly worth it. Especially considering it's a fight and anything can happen, including injuries and cuts which can lead to stoppages.

28. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

I don't see it as competitive arrogance the way it is with Jon Jones. Although Rousy has an ego, her's seems to be more humble than Jone's (although some of her latest comments seem to have her going the other way). I think Jon would stand up and strike with a striker to prove he's the better striker to all the fans. With Rhonda I think she just does it to improve her overrall game. If she's going out to prove she can outstrike her opponent I think she's trying to prove it to herself rather than to everyone else but moreso than anything she'll want to know how much better of a striker she is than her opponent. Her confidence right now is such that if she were to legitimately lose a fight she'd never again be at the level she is now, because she feels indestructible, and once you lose that mentality it never comes back.

One of the coolest things about her last victory was the sheer joy on her face as she walked through the crowd and everyone was giving her love. It wasn't an I'm the shit kind of happyiness on her face, rather it was just a genuine joy and almost shock at all the love she was getting. To me she had a look on her face like it was the first time it had happened to her.

29. mw314159

mw314159 Undisputed Champion

I think part of that was from what Joe Rogan said in the post fight interview. He said something about how she's a once in a lifetime fighter and that it was an honor to call her fights. He's known for overhyping fighters, but he wasn't exaggerating this time.

30. Anthony

Motherfucker
    it will be a head kick or punch that ronda loses to.