UFC 202: Diaz v McGregor II

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Rich ´Money´ Mustard, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Jones fought "good competition" because that's whoever they tell you is good. I know nothing about his opponents. Who are his best opponents and how many times have they lost since he beat them? I know, I know. They lost to the best because the best fight the best in UFC. Lol

2. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

And Golovkin is the darling of boxing, because as slow-a-death the sport is going through, boxing fans desperately need a new´mega-star´, so a guy who can punch fairly hard with a 36-0 record (whoever the ´good competition´ is there) fits the bill...

3. Bordon

By boxing standards MMA's biggest star got exposed by a gatekeeper and UFC spun the rematch into a yuuuge event.

4. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

What standards are those, Terp? :popcorn:

5. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    What boxing standards has a 145 pounder jump up to 170 pounds on two weeks notice, get tired because he is out of shape, but completely bust the guy up in the first round. Then say i want a rematch at the same weight, and allow this person that beat me on two weeks notice to have a full camp and be in shape. Have the rematch and drop the guy 3 times, bust the guy up and win the fight? How is that exposed?

6. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Lets not act like diaz was a 170 pounders. The main reason they fought there the first timewas because he was a late notice replacement and had no time to cut weight. And why in earth would McGregor be out of shape for the first fight? Guy was training for a world title fight

7. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

No, Conor Wasn't "Out of Shape", Per Se, but he WAS Carrying MORE Weight than Accustomed, AND he Shot his Load in the Very 1st Round...The Extra Weight WINDED Him in Stretches of the RE as Well, but McGregor's PACING was Significantly Better...

REED:hammert:

8. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Was it really? We dont really know about McGregor stamina at fw, since he most of his fights were short. Maybe the guy just has naturally bad stamina, regardless of his weight. And He sure did shot his load in the first fight, but it had nothing to do with him being out of shape

9. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Correct.
    McGregor doesn´t have bad stamina and he didn´t have for Diaz I.
    He spent all his energy on the quick finish employing spinning-kicks and big left-hands.
    The former are the most energy-consuming of all strikes...even moreso when they don´t land.
    Add to this the amount of left-hand pay-off shots he threw and missed...you´ve got a knackered McGregor waiting to be BJJ´d out of the fight.

The real point to take home from that first fight is just how one-handed McGregor is in his boxing.

I´ll also add combine the above that with the act of getting clipped with shots constantly while mid-swing. Those who have seen Nate Diaz and Nick Diaz fight before know that this is what the Diaz's do and know how quickly it exhausts a man to be tagged and punched off of rhythm while that guy is winging his own shots.
    McGregor looked gassed because he was shipping more Diaz one-two counters en-route into coming in.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  10. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Diaz has fought at 170 4 times before and fought at 160 catch weight. And conor would be out of shape, because he had to GAIN weight in order to fight at 170. Watch the videos of the training. Conor, would often be seen eating huge meals and not training the way he would to for the lower weight. He thought he was going to walk through diaz because he thought Diaz was too slow.

Watch his Max Halloway fight. He fought 3 rounds, on the ground with a injured ACL. Watch his mendes fight. 80% of acl was torn in that fight. And in this last fight where he went 5 rounds, his had a busted foot after the first round.

11. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Yeah but he loaded up like that in the mendes fight too and it didnt affect him the same way. That extra 25 pounds did not help him.

12. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Well, yeah...but his stamina isnt suspect.
    Watch the fight again and see how many times Diaz catches him with a mid-punch counter: those are tiring.

Its also interesting re: southpaw v southpaw: McGregor doesn't use his jab all that much , because he is so often able to lead with his left straight. He rarely uses his lead hook at all. When a southpaw meets another southpaw it is like a conventional orthodox versus orthodox match, it becomes all about the lead hand again and the easier opportunities for left straights down the middle are no longer there.
    Diaz is a southy who can jab and hook.
    McGregor is a southy who uses his lead left to go straight through the middle.

13. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Well i agree his stamina isnt suspect. I just think 170 is not his ideal weight to fight, so in essence, he was out of shape.

14. Bordon

The standards of a sport with the depth to have defined levels and expectations as opposed to the WWE where guys pop up and they wait to see if the crowd likes them.

15. Bordon

I take it back! I take it back!!! Lol. Little girls and their reality stars....

16. Anthony

Motherfucker
    [​IMG]

17. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Which decade are you referring to?
    Sorry to tell you, old man (see Anthony´s gif), but those days and whatever ´standards´ that associated with them are looooong gone :lol:

18. timmothysmith01

timmothysmith01 Leap-Amateur

McGregor's fight purse was the highest in history