UFC 243: Whittaker v Adesanya

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Rich ´Money´ Mustard, Oct 5, 2019.

1. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Yeah but he’s been fighting amateur competition since he was a teenager and he’s been fighting professionally since 2012. So I still disagree that he’s new to this. You think someone can just pick up MMA and become a UFC champion in two years? He’s fighting with the same style and celebratory routines as when he first came in.

2. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    Yeah you can. Check Brock lesnar. Fighting and fighting mma are not the same. Most MMA fighters started with something prior. Israel never had to worry about takedowns where he fought prior.

3. lb 4 lb

Brock Lesner was a fluke scenario and something that could only happen in the HW division because it’s the one division where striking is the main offense and a guy like BL can come in and dominate because he’s a physical giant.

IA may not have had to worry about takedowns in the past but in the UFC it’s one small adjustment. Lot’s of fighters come to the UFC having fought in standup striking competition only and I wouldn’t call them new either. New to the UFC yes, new to MMA, not at all.

Your main point seems to be you expect IA to grow into this well rounded MMA guy but that hasn’t happened at all. IA doesn’t seem to have added any ground game or ju jitsu and as far as I know there haven’t been any reports from him or anyone from his team incorporating such improvements to his game. He seems satisfied with where he is and just perfecting his standup.

4. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Ground game is no minor adjustment. It's a huge adjustment. And IA is a blue belt in BJJ. To get to blue belt from white belt in BJJ it takes about 3 years. So he has for sure been working on it. He claims to be well rounded. We will see. But the transition from other forms of Martial arts like Kickboxing or Boxing to MMA is not minor or easy. It's a whole different animal. One that requires lots of training prior to jumping in.

Jesus of montreal likes this.
  5. lb 4 lb

Well IA is two years in, undefeated and a champion. I’d say he’s made the transition so I still don’t see how you consider that new, but whatever, I already know you’re not going to change your stance so let’s just agree to disagree.

6. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Because 2 years is new. dont listen to me. Listen to what other fighters are saying.

7. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Debatable...

REED:Hammer

8. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Adesanya's "Good" for MMA in the Sense Few will Be Indifferent Towards Him...

If he's Smart He'll Stay @ 185 a While, Racking Up Title Defenses, Improving In His Craft...He'd Better Keep the Negative Energy Towards Jon Jones ONLINE However, Because an Actual Fight btwn Them Would Shorten Adesanya's Career...

REED:Hammer

9. timmothysmith01

timmothysmith01 Leap-Amateur

The confidence Isreal has is unbelievable