UFC 73 STACKED Thread

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Beyond the Grave, Jul 8, 2007.

1. MAXWELL

MAXWELL Leap-Amateur

You gotta luv andersons balls into throwing those flying knees. In his fight with lutter and marquadt he got taken down bec. of those unsucessful flying knees.

2. MAXWELL

MAXWELL Leap-Amateur

Is it me or did he take a shot at sherks supposed inability to finish fights hehe...

3. Breeze

Breeze WBC Champion

Yeah that was a definate shot at Sherk:lol:

I like Sherk, but Florian is right. Its not like Sherk didn't have his opportunities. He was getting pretty much any position he wanted and he didn't go for anything.

Hermes gave up his back quite a bit and Sherk never once went for a rear naked choke. Sherk had full mount every round and didn't go for any submissions.

Florian impressed me. The guy he was facing was a lot bigger and stronger and Florian dominated and stopped him. He showed a lot of skill in there.

Anderson Silva looked like he was toying with Marquardt. He is such an accurate striker, and I get the feeling he is much stronger than he looks. That single leg takedown he had to end the fight was sick. Its like he reversed what Marquardt was trying to do and did it exactly to him and ended the fight.

I thought Evans and Ortiz ended in the right decision. Ortiz won the first round the second could have gone either way with or without the point deduction and the third round was Evans was he was busier threw more and got the takedown. Ortiz puts on the cocky ass act but I really think he's a cool guy deep down, and gave credit to Evans after the fight. Ortiz looked a lot better than he did against Griffen where I thought he looked horrible. His striking looked better. Rashad was tentative to start the fight, but got more comfortable as the fight wore on, which is why i would favour him in a rematch.

Noguiera/Herring was one of the best fights on the card. Herring pretty much blew it by not finishing the fight after he knocked Nog down with a kick. Noguiera has improved his standup a lot and was throwing some jabs and right hands, no leg kicks, but he was dominating the fight easily standing up, which is the last thing I expected from him. He was actually pretty fun to watch tonight. Never been impressed with Herring but he looked better tonight than he did in his last showing at the UFC.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  4. Beyond the Grave

Beyond the Grave Undisputed Champion

steel maker
    Home Page:
    Sherk is the lightweight Ricardo Arona,there was no excuse for Sherk to go the distance last night.Franca was a beatin man,the expression on Hermes face said it all.

5. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    in his last fight, he kicked Brad Imes's ass.

6. Beyond the Grave

steel maker
    Home Page:
    There's only a couple of black fighters that are actually good in MMA(Jackson,Evans................A.Silva :dunno:) and plus there's not a whole lot of black fighters in MMA right now like it is in boxing.

7. Mitchell Kane

Mitchell Kane WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Sherk's supposedly going to defend against BJ Penn in November.

8. Beyond the Grave

steel maker
    Home Page:
    I'll wait till its official.........but if Bj isn't in shape then he is in big trouble against Sherk.

9. FourHooks

FourHooks Undisputed Champion

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    Its tough to see anyone beating Sherk at 155....He's going to have to come across someone who can "A", either keep it on the feet and outstrike him, or "B" just flat out outwrestle him, which I dont see happening at 155.....GSP and Hughes were able to do it, but those guys are rare breeds....

BJ Penn has the takedown defense and explosiveness to give it a run.....Gomi may be a decent enough wrestler.....The Japanese cat who was in Pride, the one who wore the shiny pants who's name eludes me at the moment MAY be able to pull off a submission, but its hard to see Sherk getting caught becuase he's so stumpy and strong.....I dont see Diaz getting to 155, he looked half dead when he fought Gomi, so 160-whatever may be his rock bottom.....Mach might be able to eek out a dec win

Anderson Silva is a beast, but he's very beatable....Hendo would beat him to a pulp....Dennis Kang could hang in with him....Misaki is incredibly durable and could probably hang with him.....Filho.....Lindland would almost surely beat him.....

Shinya Aoki or something like that.....thats the lightweight with the shiny pants....kid is slick as hell

10. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    i read on an mma forum that bj penn vs. Sherk has been signed. That's a great 'superfight' for the lw division, gotta give the ufc props for giving that division a push.

11. Breeze

Breeze WBC Champion

That's going to be a great fight, although I favour Penn at this point.

12. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    he's the best one. :bears:

13. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I think we're seeing the end of Tito Ortiz. Despite all the stories and hype about how hard he trains, he's still the same one demensional fighter. All I saw from him, despite his usual pre-fighting arrogance, was the basic same old takedown attempts and absolutely horrid off-balance kicks and powerless weak punches.
    Didn't the commentators Rogan, Couture, and Goldberg all say the same thing nearing the end of the fight? Weren't they discussing whether Ortiz has seen the sport pass him by and how he hasn't evolved and how he's one-demensional?
    Other than the Shamrock wins, he's looked like crap in everything. I think he's nearing the end.

14. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

I heard the Kamala thing is going through.. he'll be in the next UFC

15. Mitchell Kane

Mitchell Kane WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Anybody else hear about this story last from last night?

Man Killed in Arco Arena Fall
    Written for the web by Jason Kobely, Internet News Producer

Investigators are looking into the death of a Merced man who fell 30 feet to his death outside Arco Arena Saturday night, Sacramento County sheriff's officials said.

Sacramento County sheriff's spokesman R.L. Davis said Eraldo Cano, 26, was outside the arena in a smoking section around 8:30 p.m. during Saturday night's Ultimate Fighting Championship event when the accident happened.

Davis said Cano was in the slightly elevated outdoor section on the arena's northwest side when he reportedly jumped over a four-foot retaining wall and fell about 30 feet to the ground.

Cano was transported by ambulance to the UC Davis Medical Center, where he died from his injuries around 10 p.m.

Davis said the fall appeared to be accidental and that Cano likely did not realize the severity of the drop on the other side of the wall. Authorities were looking into whether alcohol played a role in the fall.

Cano was one of 14,317 spectators at Arco Saturday for the UFC 73 Stacked event, featuring a collection of fighters from various martial arts disciplines going head to head.

Created: 7/8/2007 12:46:35 PM Updated: 7/8/2007 3:53:25 PM

16. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

The Silva-Franklin rematch has been signed for UFC 77, October 20 in Franklin's home state of Ohio.

TFK

17. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

:popcorn: Rest in Peace, Rich Franklin. :lol:

18. Beyond the Grave

steel maker
    Home Page:
    Franklins from my home state but I agree,he's going too take a beating.

19. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

Nah, Franklin beats Silva this time around. I don't care what anyone says but that wasn't Franklin in the first fight he wasn't his normal self before the fight or during it I mean dude already had a black eye before he got into the octagon. IMO Franklin wins the rematch but if Silva wins it won't be as easy as last time Silva is very beatable and Franklin isn't just some scrub thats gotten lucky for 20+ fights dude just had a bad night just like GSP against Serra shit happens.

20. Beyond the Grave

steel maker
    Home Page:
    Rich was on a hot streak now all of a sudden he had a bad night when he lost?:laughing: What advantages does Franklin have over Silva? As we speak he has none.

21. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I watched the Franklin vs Silva fight again and I forgot how good Franklin did up until the clinch. If he can avoid the clinch this time around and maybe even try to take the fight to the ground he could pull it off. Silva isn't unbeatable.

22. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

Ok laughing man we'll see GSP was also on a hot streak but he didn't have a bad night either,uh??

23. Beyond the Grave

steel maker
    Home Page:
    The fight was even,neither of them did anything special until Silva charged in and grabbed Franklin in the clinch.If Franklin takes to the ground then bam,he's up against a Nogeira jujitsu black belt,like I said he has no advantages.It doesn't matter where the fight takes place Rich is at a disadvantage...........but with that being said,I think Rich will hang around longer than last time.

24. Beyond the Grave

steel maker
    Home Page:
    Bad technique cost GSP the fight with Serra.GSP has a habit of leaving his jab out too long when he throws it and Matt took full advantage of it.

25. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

BTG I don't know what you mean by a shrug next to silva.

He's probably the best of the 3. He is MUCH better than evans. Evans is nothing, Tito should have won that fight.

Rampage is arguable, personally I think silva is pretty fucking good. Like I said before, weight difference or not I would pick him to beat the fuck out of evans.

You're prejudiced because silva is not a US brother.

26. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Oh and pit - no. Silva smashed Franklin fair and square, he is simply a better fighter, end of story.

27. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

Yeah I bet thats just what Serra was thinking during the fight:rolleyes: You got your OPINION I got mine so we'll see at 77 which one is right.

28. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

Like I said we'll see at 77.

29. Beyond the Grave

steel maker
    Home Page:
    I'm not sure to consider him black or Portueguse,thats why I put a shrug.:lol:

30. Beyond the Grave

steel maker
    Home Page:

Yes he was thinking that because he caught GSP several times with the right hand over the jab before the ko blow.I think you should watch the fight again.