UFC 79 Results

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by TFK, Dec 30, 2007.

1. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

GSP is all class. I don't see what's not to like, TFK.

2. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:

:dunno: agreed.

3. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

agreed, too anyone who doesn't like him is a bad person, but Hughes was classy in defeat, too and gave the man his props.

I want to add that i agree with TFK here about the Liddell Silva fight if u just saw this fight and didn't know the circumstances you would see some quick, skilled strikers with good chins banging it out for three rounds. This was truly a great fight. But Chuck looking so good had all to do with Silva being past it big time. To think this version would have beaten Jardine isn't crazy because that was a split decision and u could give Chuck the benefit of the doubt here also considering Jardine sucks big time. But to think he would beat most 205ers is as stupid as picking Hughes over GSP.

Chuck is past it and he only looked so good, because Wandy not only has the perfect style for him but also couldn't even bring his best.

Against any of today's fighters who can take his shot without shitting their pants you will see him getting older again very quickly.

4. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    I enjoyed the entire PPV card. I'm happy for GSP and was impressed with Liddell who I don't really care for.

I just find it funny that they are considering the Chuck/Wanderlei fight a great fight when it would be a laughingstock of a fight in boxing.

5. Bob N. Weave

Bob N. Weave WBC Champion

Uhhh....it's not boxing man....

6. His_Royness

that's because it's the UFC... i also liked how we now have a vintage Chuck Liddell who is BACK! Goldberg creamed his pants while screaming that shit... :laughing:

7. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    Really? I wasn't aware of that. I just thought they were fighting with Hatton rules and that they forgot to put gloves on:doh:

what I'm saying is that a lot of UFC fans say boxing is boring, then go on to cheer two guys wildly swinging at each other.

8. His_Royness

yeah because it's not boring...

I'm not saying boxing is boring but that fight sure as hell wasn't boring either - i can enjoy both but to each his own...

9. FourHooks

FourHooks Undisputed Champion

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    No wrestler should ever beat GSP....Its gonna take someone with a hellacious wallop or some slick BJJ to beat him.....Cue up Serra's chiropractor

Dont put Jon Fitch in front of GSP, that will be ugly

10. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Fuck me, you really are a total Chuck groupie aren't you?

Wandy is SHOT to fuck. He's literally a shell of the guy who beat the living shit out of rampage twice.

11. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    yeah, because he had such a tough time with him in the first fight. :laughing:

12. Beyond the Grave

Beyond the Grave Undisputed Champion

steel maker
    Home Page:
    I guess your picking Serra to win again?.....bold move GAtti

13. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

A Chuck groupie? Hardly.

The bottom line is, Liddell looked good last night, and Wandy went balls out and took everything Liddell had.

TFK

14. Bob N. Weave

That was a fluke and you know it. GSP is gonna destroy Serra in their next fight.

15. Bob N. Weave

And?? Are you saying that was a boring fight?? Two guys going for broke swinging for the fences the whole fight and you complain???? Did you watch the fight?? If so, you need to stop watching.

That was a great card. Brutal standup brawl by 2 former champions, a total dominating technical performance by one of the p4p best in GSP, and an explosive stoppage in a fight between 2 highly touted prospects to determine who will be a contender.

Great night of fights. :bears:

16. mexican wedding shirt

Lidell looked like a sloppy bum, and Wandy looked ultra shot.

Was it a good fight? Sure it was, it was fun to watch and action packed, but they both ultimately looked shit.

Chuck did look marginally better than he did against Rampage and Jardine, but that's because he was up against a smaller and far shotter fighter.

The only reason you're saying Wandy has a lot left is because you're trying to make Chuck's win look better than it is, as you're a chuck fan.

Seriously - go and watch the Wandy - Rampage 1, then watch last night's fight.

The difference is monumental. Wandy is done, he has nothing left.

17. TFK

Liddell got killed by Rampage, and beaten down by Jardine, and he only looked marginally better last night?

Gimme a break.

TFK

18. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    :rolleyes:

19. mexican wedding shirt

Yes that's right. He was still throwing the same crap, sloppy punches, and moving around awkwardly with the same bad footwork.

The crucial difference was he was fighting a smaller, completely shot fighter.

Why didn't you address my point about the Wandy that hammered Rampage compared to the Wandy that fought Chuck last night?

Did you check it out that fight?

The problem isn't you thinking Chuck looked good, it's you thinking Wandy has "a lot left". That's fucking preposterous :lol: He's utterly shot.

20. TFK

Those same crap, sloppy punches have led to a hall of fame career.

If you can't see that Chuck was a different fighter then he was against Jardine, you're just not paying attention.

And as far as Silva, going into the fight, I thought he was shot. But he showed, while he's no longer elite, he can be a good gatekeeper fight for up and coming talent. He can still win fights. He's not someone like a Ken Shamrock, who can't beat anybody. I'd put him on par with Tito, who isn't gonna beat any of the top 205ers, but can still win his share of fights.

TFK

21. mexican wedding shirt

Well I think he is far more shot than Tito.

The difference is, Silva used to be an excellent fighter, and Tito has always been average.

How was Chuck different? I tend to pay a lot of attention to any fight I watch, it's my nature. He didn't look any faster, sharper, or anything. He was simply fighting a smaller, shot fighter like I said.

I give him credit, he's 38 years old and has really maximized his abilities in the UFC, but don't make last night's win out to be anything significant.

22. His_Royness

If u think Liddell only throws sloppy punches you are a bit retarded. He's surely not Roy Jones or anything but he is as fast or as accurate of a counterpuncher u can find in the whole MMA game. Plus he wasn't MUCH different in his prime.

23. mexican wedding shirt

If you think Lidell throws anything but sloppy haymakers and a sloppy jab, you are ultra retarded.

Sure his punches are better than average in MMA, but that goes to show how low the standard is for hand techniques.

Although not great fighters, Gomi, Nick Diaz and Jens Pulver all have better punching technique than Chuck.

And who says he was different in his prime?

I'm saying Wandy was much different, not Chuck. Learn to read, filthy gerry.

24. His_Royness

:lol: :lol: :cheer:

25. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Mexican Wedding Shirt is 100% correct. Wandy/Chuck last night was a pile of sh*t IMO. It was exciting for the drunks who like constant action but then again, even Butterbean provided this kind of entertainment in his ToughMan days. And Wanderlei is a shot fighter completely.
    Chuck is the same piece of crap as what you saw in every other fight. Flawed sloppy technique, poor balance, crappy footwork, open for hundreds of counters. Just so happens Wanderlei at the same time has little ability on his feet to exploit these flaws.
    Both these guys need to be retired from the sport. F*ck all the "Chuck is Back" BullSh*t! :lol:

26. His_Royness

your really the king in mixing some valid points with complete and utter bullshit... :lol:

27. Hanzy

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I know your a Chuck fanatic. I could care less about the guy.:dunno: Credit to him though, he's gotten far with his sloppy sh*t over 'wrestlers' for much of his career.:laughing:

28. His_Royness

oh really... what's next? I'm a Matt Hughes groupie?? :lol:

29. Kaliber44

Kaliber44 Im Banned

Silva is shot,and guy shy but what did you expect coming off two BRUTAL knockouts..Still Silva showed way more balls and desire to win then Roid in Tarver III

30. Hanzy

:dunno: You can't act all surprised seeing how badly Silva had been destroyed in his last 2 fights. Chuck winning doesn't mean squat. This is a fight that should've happened 2 years ago.