UFC 79 Results

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by TFK, Dec 30, 2007.

1. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I'm not - Silva being shot to shit had all to do with Liddell looking pretty good. But then Chuck lost two in a row, too so they kind of fought on even terms.

Agreed to that fight being much more meaningful 2 years ago.

2. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Hanzy, you come off as one of those bitter Pride fans like you see on Sherdogwho can't accept the fact that Pride is dead and hate on all things UFC.

You don't have to like Liddell's style, but to deny him as one of MMA's most succesful fighters is just retarded.

TFK

3. Beyond the Grave

Beyond the Grave Undisputed Champion

steel maker
    Home Page:
    Liddell vs Wand was a fight between two fighters who' s better days are behind them,there isn't a real future for either of them.I think this fight is just an excuse to keep one of there careers alive a little while longer.

4. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    Don't be surprised to see a Silva/Ortiz rematch. That would be Wanderlei's final cash out fight, unless he manages to beat Ortiz.

5. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Don't be absurd TFK. I rate the UFC fighters very highly. GSP, Hughes, Couture would all have done very well in Pride. Pride had its share of crap.
    I'm just talking about Liddell himself. Not a bad fighter at all, he had the stuff that worked. He kicked ass in Pride too till he ran into Jackson at the GP 2003 tourny.

6. Hanzy

Wanderlei's 2 losses were far more brutal than Chuck's 2 losses. There's no denying this. Wanderlei was LAID THE F*CK OUT by CroCop and Henderson. He was on his back with the doctors trying to revive him in a pool of his own blood. His career from then has been just a caricature of what it was. He's not a serious player today.

7. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

I'm glad you have a fucking clue Hanzy :bears:

8. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Lol, Nick Diaz is awfull standing up, and LIddell is miles above Pulver too in the stand up departement. I thought liddell did looked better than vs Jardine, but his days are gone too. He won't be revelant for really long. But Silva is totaly done, the only thing he had left was balls, incredible how messed up his face is and he's only 31. And I just can't understand why he never went for the Thai clinch. But it was an awsome fight that Silva may had won with Pride rules ( with kicks allowed on the ground, Liddell may had been in big trouble when he was kd in the 2nd ).

9. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

yeah i was scratching my head in :eek: about this one, too...

didn't even reply to that because it caught me cold... :lol:

10. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

OK maybe Diaz was a stretch, but certainly Gomi and Pulver are better punchers. Lidell's punching technique is only a step up from James "The Collossus" Thomson.

Cro Cop is (was) also a better puncher, as is Rampage and a few others.

And by the way Azazel - I'm not talking about overall standup. Obviously Chuck has a decent stand up game partly through good power, but mainly good takedown defense.

I'm talking PURELY punching technique.

11. TFK

I thought about that, and that's one fight I have zero interest in seeing. I think both Ortiz and Wandy should be matched up against younger, up and coming talent to see who's for real and who isn't.

To match them up against each other makes no sense to me.

TFK

12. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    But it will make dollars, so the fight will happen. I never said that it was a good matchup.

13. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Well, with age, skill and technical proficiency aside, Wandy and Chuck put on an exciting fight.

And make no mistake about it, when Chuck is in that kind of shape and has that level of focus, he can still be a handful for anyone at 205 lbs.

Sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy a fight like that without the "their both shot" mentality. Just enjoy the fight for what it was, a brutal stand-up slugfest.

14. Hanzy

:lol: Yeah, it's always easy to say one is in shape when he wins, despite not looking any different in the fights he lost. Chuck is still the same fighter. Rampage would've murdered him again if they had fought saturday night, no matter what shape Chuck comes in.
    Hell Chuck had no idea how to defend Jardine's body kicks. He just took the kicks and tried to throw his silly sloppy punches.
    Chuck's a joke, his time is over. A win over a shot Wanderlei and now everybody is back on his jock.
    It's like f*cking Mike Tyson getting raped by Lewis and then coming back and beating Etienne and all the Tyson fanatics are spouting sh*t like "Mike is Back, look how awesome he looked, what a KO, he's gonna win the title again!!!!"
    Sorry bud, he's the same fighter as he always way, he just fought a guy who's even more sh*t than he is.

15. TFK

Did Hanzy just compare Wanderlei Silva to Clifford Ettiene?

And yes, I know Wandy has seen better days. But at least he's had better days.

TFK

16. royyjonesjrp4pno1

royyjonesjrp4pno1 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Round 1 was a feeling out process round 2 was very exciting but round 3 wasn't much. Chucks stamina is terribe still. He could have finished the fight but chose to run half way across the cage to look at the clock.

Joe Rogan again came across as an idiot. Wandy knocks Chuck down with a left right and Chuck was off balance. Then he says that Wandy throws wide punches and Chucks are straight.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  17. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    YOU ARE DRUNK.

18. atomicdOGg34

atomicdOGg34 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

student
    Home Page:
    man, ill havfta post this highlight vid of wandy i got off sherdog a long time ago, back when wandy wasnt shot to hell, the man was absolutely merciless

great vid

19. FourHooks

FourHooks Undisputed Champion

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    :lol: agreed

20. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

That comment absolutely sums Rogan up. I dig the guy's enthusiasm for the sport, but he IS an idiot.

21. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    Chuck threw a nice jab, and some very sharp straight rights....

rewatch the fight before you comment back....everyone will be quick to talk about his big looping punches, but surprisingly, he did shoot quite a few down the middle against Wandy

22. Hanzy

I'm stating an example. As for Wanderlei, his 2 back to back brutal KO defeats to both CroCop and Henderson was the end for him.

23. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Chuck did throw some straight right hands. But overall I thought Silva's punches were straighter, which is contrary to Rogan's commentary.

Chuck has an odd style where he actually throws somewhat straight punches from angles that make them arrive as if the were looped. If that makes any sense.

But in all seriousness, could Chuck pull back with his chin any more up in the air. I don't know how the hell he doesn't always get knocked out like he did against Jackson. He is always offering his chin.

24. Beyond the Grave

Beyond the Grave Undisputed Champion

steel maker
    Home Page:
    Silva knocked him down with a right hand but for some reason didnt follow up with it.

25. TFK

I think not being able to kick a downed opponent may have been why he didn't attack when he dropped Chuck. His first instinct was probably to go for a head kick, and when couldn't, he was momentarily lost, just long enough for Chuck to recover.

TFK

26. royyjonesjrp4pno1

Nah i just can't spell.

27. royyjonesjrp4pno1

He has a really strange punching style. His body type tells you what his punching style is. Shorter biceps makes a you a hooker instead of a straight puncher.

28. atomicdOGg34

student
    Home Page:
    i remember the punch "technique" chuck was showing matt serra in TUF the comeback, i was laughing so hard because it was terrible

matt serra was like okay cool thanks than made this funny face like he couldnt even believe it

i really like the ring over the cage, and pride rules over UFC rules, cant use the cage as a weapon or for an advantage, makes the fighters use their skills alone, in pride rules, wandy prolly would have gone and stomped on chucks head after he KD him

29. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    Chuck may be the worlds worst boxer, but his STRIKING technique really is good for mma....it allows him to move in and out of range quickly to avoid takedowns, and he creates weird angles to punch from

He has this thing he does where he dips down at his right hip, and he can either throw that looping over the top left hook, shoot his straight right hand (which is his best punch), loop the right, or throw a right head kick

Chuck is obviously not unbeatable, but he has found a stlye of fighting that has made him one of the most successful fighters in MMA history....Take a guy like Hamed or someone like that in boxing who had awkward style....It doesnt mean they arent good, it just means they do things differently...One of if not the best pure BOXER in MMA history was Vitor Belfort, and look what happened to him when he fought Chuck....Its because mma is not boxing

30. atomicdOGg34

student
    Home Page:
    vitor was shit ever since he was on the roids, his best performance is when he absolutely lit wandy the fuck up in like 33 seconds