UFC should have mismatches

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by BOSS, Feb 10, 2018.

1. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Granted it's great that every fighter more or less is world class and fights are competitive however it would build fights up if we had longer win streaks and impressive demolition jobs.

Just hire a bunch of 12-10 kinda characters and have your prospects go through them like butter. That way when they face someone decent it will mean a lot more.

It's hard to get excited when fighters alternate wins and losses all the time..

2. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Also, it would be fun to see more people get beaten to pulp

mw314159 and BOSS like this.
  3. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Absolutely

4. mw314159

mw314159 Undisputed Champion

I like that they match similar level fighters against each other. I don't see the point in giving good fighters easy fights, except when it's a young prospect still in the early stages of his career.

5. mw314159

CM Punk against any competent fighter would be fun to see.

6. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    tonight's card had several mismatches.

7. Jeffy

Jeffy Undisputed Champion

How about a retired undefeated boxer against a semi-retired ufc champion? That should be a fun one!

8. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Not at all, mismatches are a waste of time with , maybe, the only exception being when they are trying to hype a still unknown up and coming prospect. If you want scripted fight, go watch the WWE.

9. KaukipRrr

KaukipRrr "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I know how to make it all very, very sexy for the midget divisions, simply follow what boxing has done,.. 4 belts every 2lbs of weight,.. that way Connor Mcgregor can have his 'Hopkins - Tito' moment against someone half his size, and it'll remain a legendary achievement, set for life, wow, he beat the 16 weight world champ! ...and the heavyweights *yawn* will continue to take on mandatories.

10. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

The nature of this type of fighting means that no one can have a long win streak. Rear Naked choke, arm bar, kick to the head etc. can happen at any time and to anyone.

mw314159 likes this.
  11. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

So Dumb. A lot of elite MMA guys have/had longer undefeated run than most elite boxers, and they pretty much always fight top contenders, contrarly to most elite boxers (look at GSP, JonesFedor and Silva runs)

You've spewed the same bs arguments numerous times, and you continue to spew it again and again, even if I told you numerous times it was wrong. When you don't know balls about something, the best thing to do is to keep your mouth shut

12. Jeffy

Are you trying to say that MMA fighters have comparable undefeated runs as boxers??

13. Jesus of montreal

Most of them don't, but it has everything to do with the talent being a lot less diluted than in boxing (only 5 weight classes compared to a million, and only one org that really counts), and the matchmaking being much harder. It has nothing to do with the sport being more random.

14. mw314159

Those fighters are special and rare in MMA. Jones, Fedor, GSP, Anderson. It's so rare that it might be fair to say that there's no one like that today. Jones, obviously, but I don't see any currently active MMA fighter today with that kind of win streak as champion.

Khabib would be in the discussion if he beats Ferguson and McGregor.

15. Jesus of montreal

And who in boxing has these kind of streaks, while continuously fighting top opponents??? Ward might fit the bill, but hes retired, and everyone and their mother know he lost the 1st kovy fight

16. Jeffy

There are many boxers that go on 18-20 fight win streaks to match Silva, St. Pierre, and Jones.

Matching Fedors 30 is a different story though.

17. Jesus of montreal

Yet, you managed to miss the point

18. Jeffy

No I didn’t. I called you out on a stupid point that was incorrect.

19. Jesus of montreal

Yes, you did, cause you missed the part were I said continuously fighting top opponents (like top MMA guys do). Of course there's a lot more winning streak in boxing (the sad part is that I said so, two posts ago, yet you missed it, again), but this has everything to do with the nature of the matchmaking, and the dilution of the talent in a million different weight classes.

20. Jeffy

Your point is way off because the long winning streaks in MMA are basically non-existant. Which proves your original point wrong where you say “A lot of elite MMA have/had longer undefeated run than most elite boxers”.

This is an ignorant quote that is nowhere close to being true.

21. Jesus of montreal

you're either an idiot or being deliberately obtuse (unfortunately, my experience dealing with you makes me lean toward the former :( ). First of all, my point is not wrong, since I said that a lot of them had as long or longer runs than most elite boxers, and gave some examples. Never claimed that it was more common in MMA than in boxing, as you're trying to imply. Secondly, long winning streak in MMA are not nearly as rare as you make them out to be. Just look at the next lightweight title fight. Thirdly, comparing winning streak is worthless unless you take into consideration the quality of opposition. Travis Fulton has some impressive winning streak, yet it only came against bums so who cares. If top boxers were matched with the same intensity than MMA guys are, you wouldn't see long winning streak as often

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  22. Jeffy

Name them. And a 15 fight winning streak is not comparable to the winning streaks of many elite boxers.

I love how you result to insulting people when they refute your idiotic claims.

Bottom line is you say that “many” mma fighters have longer unbeaten streaks than most elite boxers.

This is just stupid. An insanely long unbeaten streak is 14-15 fights long.

For boxing it is nothing.

23. BOSS

BOSS TBD

There are hardly any unbeaten streaks in mma. If a guy is say 10-0. Everyone is like whoa who is that guy?? In boxing you generally at least go 20-0 before you fight anyone who even punches back.