Underrated BLACK movies

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Xplosive, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

If Spike made a film about Mayweather he'll probably insert himself and star as "Uncle Rog". When Floyd is training and running down the street there'll be tiresome jazz music playing and Floyd will be floating on air while you hear the sound of his footsteps. Wont change my opinion on him one iota.

2. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Giving Yourself a CAMEO or BIT Part Ain't the Same Shit as Making Your Character INTEGRAL to the Climax of the Story, Bruh...Spike Wrote in SELF SERVING Nude Scenes for HIMSELF, and Made Himself the BEST FRIEND of the Lead Character in his 1st 5+ Films...Malcolm X's BEST FRIEND???...Fuck Outta Here w/That Shit, Bruh...

And the Clincher is, Spike's a TERRIBLE Actor!!!...

Here's ALL You Need to Know about Spike Lee; He Went to Morehouse College Along w/Samuel L. Jackson (and REED!!!), and Even Though Spike Gave Samuel L. his JUMP in Hollywood, Jackson DOESN'T Speak to Him Anymore...Spike Got All Uppity about Samuel L's Involvement w/Tarantino Projects, to the Point Jackson Told Spike to FUCK Himself, Refusing to EVER Work w/Him Again...

So Yeah, We'll Never See Denzel in a Tyler Perry Flick, but that's for an Entirely DIFFERENT Reason than Why You'll NEVER See Samuel L. Jackson In Another Spike Lee Joint, DESPITE Them Knowing Each Other Since College...Tyler Perry's a Simple Minded Filmmaker, Spike Lee's a Horny EGOMANIAC w/a Napolean Complex...

REED:mut:

3. Destruction and Mayhem

Word. Spike is a terrible actor and yet gives himself large roles in his films. Honestly...he's one of the most annoying motherfuckers in show business.

4. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Spike's a cunt but he's made some good to great films. Just watched "Do The Right Thing" again last night.

Would have been nice to see somebody else in the Mookie role, but it's not like he needed to have a lot of range for that part.

He was also making his earlier films on a shoestring budget, and casting himself was also another way to not have to pay somebody else.

So.......I can forgive him for Mookie.....but once he started to make bank, he should have pushed himself out from in front of the camera entirely.

By the way Danny Aiello killed it in DTRT. Gave Sal many more layers then I think was in the script that Spike wrote.

5. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Being a Fellow Morehouse Alum, REED WANTED to Believe Spike's Ego HADN'T Gotten Out of Hand...But Casting HIMSELF as Malcolm's Best Friend was Fucking DISGRACEFUL...

You Don't IMPOSE Yourself Upon a Flick THAT Important...

REED:Crap:

6. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Spike has made some good movies but he's an insufferable jackass. The worst is how he reacted to the Trayvon Martin shooting. He went on social media and posted George Zimmerman's address...or
    what he THOUGHT was Zimmerman's address.

It was the wrong address, and the family that lived there ended up moving because they got threatened and harassed so much.

7. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

It Wasn't Enough to Be a Ground Breaking and INFLUENTIAL Filmmaker, Spike Tried his Best to Be a MOVIE STAR Too...

EGO...

REED:baa:

8. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    I forgot about I'm Gonna Git You Sucka

9. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

REED,

Firstly, the SECOND I saw your reply I KNEW you'd turn Spike vs Tyler into a "North vs South" brotha thing... I fuckin KNEW it.

It ain't about that. I'm actually the last Northern brotha you should pulling that shit with considering I have more close family DOWN SOUTH than I do in the Tri-State area.

It's about Perry KNOWINGLY perpetuating and promoting negative stereotypes about our culture to the masses and tooooooo many people being afraid to call him out on it because of his immense money and fame.

There's NATHAN simple minded and harmless about Perry's movies.

Let's take Diary of a Mad Woman for example, and pick apart what's wrong it:

In DOAMBM, we have a hard working, subservient sista who's PLAYED OUT, and abused - both physically and emotionally, by the stereotypical abusive, and promiscuous dark skinned brotha who of course leaves her after years of marriage for the stereotypical stuck-up, and slutty light skinned woman.

After coon ass mammy, otherwise known as Madea, belligerently comes to the wife's defense wielding her pistol (perpetuating the stereotype that we all carry guns), eventually, the wife recovers and falls in love with her new knight in shining BEIGE armor, Shemar Moore.

Right there, that whole premise is fucked... and as dark skinned brotha yourself I'm surprised you aren't outraged by the fact that Perry OFTEN paints lightskinned brothas and sistas in a more positive light than dark skinned brothas and sistas, ESPECIALLY when it comes to black men.

And that's just the TIP of the Perry iceberg. Please don't make me delve into Temptation, or For Colored Girls.

Perry is toxic. IDGAF if he's from Georgia or The Bronx, he's a toxic coon either way.

10. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    Get rich or die tryin, Belly II, are we there yet, soul plane

11. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Interesting debate between Xplosive, D&M and REED. Please keep it going.

12. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    :lol:

13. Destruction and Mayhem

We will. Get your popcorn and your beers and get your seat real quick as this aint necessarily gonna go 12 rounds.

14. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Spike has been a talented filmmaker in the past. Tyler Perry has not. That's all I care about. As a cracker ass cracker, all that other shit is just noise to me. :popcorn:

15. Xplosive

:lol::lol::lol:

I can't even front this part made me LOL. Well done.

16. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    I don't know. I know they separated for awhile and then reunited to do The Book of Eli, but even before that, they make movies very sporadically.

The Wood is classic!

17. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    I wonder how many movies named in this thread has Clifton Powell. He's the non-famous Samuel L. Jackson, he's always "that black dude".

its crazy how many movies/TV shows he's been in.

18. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

I'm going out on a limb here and proclaim my love for A Vampire in Brooklyn a film that got trashed so bad that when I watched it I was pleasantly surprised how entertaining it was. People were expecting a comedy and they were disappointed of Murphy going serious. Yes, it has a dumb finale, but so what, Murphy and Angela Basset had great chemistry.
    [​IMG]
    Gordon's War IMO the best blaxplotation film of the 70s, but all you hear about is 'Shaft', 'Superfly' and 'Cleopatra Jones'. This film was better than of them put together and Paul Winfield had more acting chops than Roundtree, O'Neal or Thompson combined!

[​IMG]

That Man Bolt (1973) Cinema's very first black answer to James Bond was a fun ride that many looked down just because (a) our spy/hero was black (b) the film was low budget (even though they did marvels with that microbudget) and (c) it came out near the end of the Blaxploitation craze and while Fred Williamson did some nice karate fights, everybody was being compared to Bruce Lee and...not chance in hell, Fred! Still I enjoyed this film and wished it had a better reception.
    [​IMG]

19. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    Soul Food, This Christmas & Metro. Not sure Metro should be considered a black movie tho.

20. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Shakespeare in Love, underrated urban gangstah film.

21. Destruction and Mayhem

Soul Food was a good film.

22. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    :lol:

23. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Agree... Aiello was brilliant

24. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Fuck Brother X for FORCING REED into Painting the Fratboy Racist, Tarantino, in a MORE Favorable Light than Spike Lee...But a Man Has to Do what a Man HAS TO DO!!!...

REED:crying:

25. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

ALL Black Northeasterners "Have Family Down SOUF' "...Doesn't Mean Ya'll RESPECT Their Intellect, Accents, or the WAY They Carry On Their Lives...Black Northeasterners TOLERATE their Southern Brethren, More than Anything Else...You KNOW This as Well as REED Does, Bruh...

Moving On From That, Why is it that Black Filmmakers are Always FORCED Into Turning their Pics Into Social Commentaries about the State of Being Black???...Why Can't a Black Filmmaker Simply Produce a Motion Picture DEVOID of Political Breakdowns and Ramifications???...Bill Duke's about the Only "Black Filmmaker" REED Knows of, Who's Managed to ESCAPE that Constant Pressure to Please Fellow Blacks in EVERY Film...

As for the Casting, a SURE FIRE Way of Getting Black Women to Turn Out in DROVES is Portraying Shamar Moore as a Love Interest, Especially the Love Interest of a DARK SKINNED Sista Like Kimberly Elise...Shamar Moore is a Looooooooooongtime African American SEX SYMBOL, and the Brother that Played the Cheating Husband Simply ISN'T...

That Being the Case, It was SMART of Tyler Perry to Cast Moore as Such and Quite Frankly, Sistas DON'T Want to See Shamar as an Abusive, Cheating Husband...That'd Be Like Casting Scarlett Johaanson as a Hairy FAT Bitch, Yet Expecting Dudes to Flock to her Portrayal...

Ma'Dea is the CORNERSTONE of Perry's Success...Loooooooooooooong Before he Ever THOUGHT of Making Movies, he was in Full Ma'Dea Get Up, Doing Stage Shows...Ma'Dea Represents the Wild, Crazy, Unpredictable Matriarch that EVERY Black Family Possesses...REED GUARANfuckingTEES YOU have a Grandmother, Aunt or Other CLOSE Female Relative that Could/Would Go Ma'Dea on a Motherfucker in a HEARTBEAT...Yes, Ma'Dea is a Stereotype, but there's Grains of TRUTH to Some Stereotype's, Bruh...

If People WANT to Nitpick Tyler Perry's Decisions, that's Cool, but REED Doubts it's a CONCERTED Effort on his Part...His Existence WASN'T as Worldly, Cultured or Educated as Spike Lee's, so he's NOT Going to Produce the Same Level of Material...

REED:mj:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  26. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

To Be CLEAR,

In NO Way is REED Comparing Tyler Perry and Spike Lee as Filmmakers...Spike Diarrhea Shits All Over Perry...Spike's WORST Film Menstruates All Over Perry's BEST Film...

Spike Had a Chance to Be GRACIOUS, WELCOMING and HELPFUL to Young, Up and Coming Black Filmmakers...After All, he PAVED the Way, Undoubtedly...But he Chose to Be a JUDGEMENTAL, Overtly NEGATIVE, Perpetual DICK, During the Time he Possessed THE MOST Influence...His Vibe Said, "Yeah, I've Made it but Fuck You!!! I'm CLOSING the Door Behind Me, Black Bitch"...It was an Almost COSBYish Way, that Spike DISTANCED Himself from Black Filmmakers...

What Other Race of FILMMAKER Criticizes their OWN The Way Spike Does Black Filmmakers???...REED Can't Say he's EVER Heard Italian, Jewish, Asian or Whatever Other Race/Ethnicity Be as HARD on Their Own, as Spike is on Blacks in Film...

Like Cosby, Most of Spike's Utterances Seem to Be SELF SERVING, Under the GUISE of Being a Socially Conscious, Black Auteur/Activist...

REED:baa:<strike></strike>

27. Xplosive

I never said Spike WASN'T an arrogant little shit. This is all started because Sly seemed like he was attacking the man's filmmaking abilities. Ego or not, Spike is a great talent.

I only brought up Perry because you mentioned Spike's comment about Tyler - which I found justified, despite the fact that Spike's an arrogant shit.

Spike was the FIRST one to call out Tyler on something a lot of us in the black community had ALREADY noticed.... that he makes childish blaxploitation movies.

28. Destruction and Mayhem

Seemed like? I was directly attacking his overrated ass. Why he's some black hero and spokesperson for the black race is beyond me. he doesn't care about black people he only cares about his own fame. Malcolm X was good. I'll give him props for do the right thing...but still neither were "great" films and both had the annoying Spike Lee isms such as "the floating man", the incongruent jazz music, the camera circling a conversation and Spike Lee's rat-faced no acting ability ass in a major role, polluting the screen with his odious filth.

29. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Sly feels about Spike, the way I feel about James Harden. :lol:

30. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Do the Right Thing, Mo' Better Blues, Malcolm X, Clockers, Get on the Bus, He Got Game and Bamboozled were All VERY GOOD Films, Brother Sly...School Daze, Jungle Fever and Inside Man were All PRETTY Good...

REED Has MANY of the Same Issues w/Spike that You Do, but his Filmmaking Talent is TOP SHELF, Bruh...

REED:mj: