Ward vs Kovalev 2 upon us.

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by puerto rock, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Double L

Double L Book Reader

I'm not the one saying the outcome was a foregone conclusion so illegal low blows shouldn't matter. That's you. I'm offering 1 of a million possible reasons why fights are fought to the end, and why you shouldn't be satisfied with saturday's outcome. But somehow you have convinced yourself ward would've won anyway, so the illegal corrupt ending shouldn't matter. That is strange.

2. Jeffy

Jeffy Undisputed Champion

I disagree. He is all over Lomachenko and GGG's nuts.

3. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Terp's video says it all

4. Jeffy

Jeffy Undisputed Champion

bottom line, the fight was stopped early. If Kov did not get a 5 minute to recover, he at least should have been charged a knockdown which would have probably gotten him to the end of the round.

However, Kov has some bad stamina issues and Ward was starting to get to him. I think Kov would have needed to find lightning in a bottle the way things were playing out.

Shame that cocksucker flattop Weeks robbed us of a proper finish.

5. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    I think the low blow that weeks missed earlier, which was right in the lower stomach under the belt, caused the damage many are giving ward for the legal shot.

6. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Explain to REED WHY Kovalev was EXAGGERATING the Effects of LEGAL Blows on the Belt Line, Trying to CONVINCE the Ref they were Low???...Why Did Kovalev Do this in Round 7 and Again in Round 8, BEFORE the Finishing Flurry???...

To Say All Ward Did was "Stun his Opponent" is a Piss Poor Characterization of What Actually Happened...While REED Won't Say Kovalev was Quite BROKEN Mentally, his Psyche was Clearly in the Process of WILTING...REED Can Assure NOBODY Thought Ward Would EVER Compromise Kovalev MENTALLY (Most of All, Sergey Himself), yet that's Precisely What he was Doing...

And Then, Ward Landed the Big Right Hand that Did MORE Than Just "Stun" Kovalev, Sorry...That's AS HURT as Kovalev's EVER Been in a Professional Fight, that REED's Seen...He was Staggering BADLY Around the Ring, Certainly More than Merely "Stunned"...

You Can MINIMIZE All You Want, but PSYCHOLOGY and BODY LANGUAGE are Every Bit as Telling as Landed Punches, in a Boxing Ring...Especially When a Fighter Fancies Himself as a BADASS, the Way Kovalev Does...

Your Take on Round 8 Takes NO Heed Whatsoever to Those Facets...

REED:cool:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  7. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

A. REED's Never Said the Illegal Blows Shouldn't Matter...

B. You Never 1nce Noted the FACT Ward Hit and Hurt Kovalev w/Legitimate Shots UNTIL REED Brought it to your Attention...

C. You Sound like a Fucking Social Justice Warrior Labeling the Finish "Corrupt" and VICTIMIZING Kovalev...A POOR Job of Officiating Ain't the Same as an HBO Conspiracy Against Non-Hippety Hoppity Fighters, Dude...

8. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    the jackal was fairly compensated with 40k per minute for his work last nite.

9. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Terp's Video is Nearly 25 Years Old and Has Been Posted on Fightbeat Numerous Times...

What EXACTLY Does it "Say"???...

Erratic likes this.
  10. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I'll respectfully agree. The two early shots which bent him over were on the belt line. Those are clean shots as instructed by Weeks. Kovalev was literraly bent in half by those shots.

Look at the body shots Ward lands at 1:06 just after the big right hand. It's really a bodyshot, left hook to the head then another bodyshot. Those are clean shots as well.

The body shot at 1:02 to the right side of his ribs was clean and brutal. When Kov turns back toward the camera you literally see the grimace on his face.

:58 seconds left, a straight right to the ribs on the left side. He hadn't caught his breath from the shot a few seconds earlier.

There are at least three hard body shots prior to the final three finishing shots.

These are the shots REED and I have been discussing that had far greater impact on the peril Kov was in. Not the final shot which was clearly low.

Erratic likes this.
  11. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Can't Disagree w/Any of That...

12. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

"Sure it was a bullshit, WTF, freaky deaky stoppage in a fight that was even to that point but let's focus on how well mah boy was doing in the last round and a half!". That's what you're saying.

You don't like the idea of saying "It was a bullshit stoppage and the actual fight was inconclusive but I think Ward would've won anyway in all likelihood." Because that's not the credit you think your boy deserves. So you're exaggerating what actually happened to minimize what actually happened.

It's funny to me because it was a such a wacky stoppage and the fight was close. You're over reacting to your perception of your boy being criticized, but it is what it is.

13. Bordon

Look at you niggas breaking down this boring ass fight with a bullshit stoppage like it's the Kennedy assassination to protect ya boy that you don't even know.

14. Bordon

That Kellerman is a wigger that's prone to support "slick" black fighters. I'm surprised I'm getting any back talk on this. I've always liked Max but one of his lovable quirks is that he's a wigger that's prone to support "slick" black fighters. And drop Jay-z lyrics at awkward and inappropriate times.

15. Baron

Baron "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I felt the stoppage was bullshit, no doubt about it. The fight was ended by a series of what clearly seemed like lowblows.

16. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Who EXACTLY is REED's "Boy" in This???...

REED Has Championed Kovalev's Cause Ever Since HBO Starting Overhyping GGG, Despite Kovalev Consistently Fighting BETTER Fighters...

Oh, that's Right...You WEREN'T Posting Here @ the Time, so Instead of KNOWING What the Truth Actually Is, You're Making CHILDISH, "B-Scene", CASUAL Type of Generalizations...The Same Bullshit you CLAIM to Hate about That Site...

Until You Can MANthefuckUP and Own/Admit Your Racial Affiliation, Don't Go There w/REED Again, Dude...It's WEAK As Fuck and this Particular Portion of Fightbeat has Rarely EVER Been About the Shit You're Insinuating in Others...

17. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Can't Debate or Refute LEGITIMATE Points, So You Resort to TROLLING:rolleyes:...

You're WILLINGLY Devolving What's Turned Into a Pretty Good Topic into Childish "B-Scene" BULLSHIT...Take Your Bitch Ass Back Over There if this is the BEST You Can Bring, Twerp...

Again, Until YOU MANthefuckUP about YOUR True Race, Don't Go There w/REED, Dude...It's COWARDLY...

18. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

"Slick, Black Fighters" like Vasyl Lomachenko and Gennady Gennadyovich Golovkin...

Got It...

19. Bordon

I'm a 5'2 Russian spy named Boris Ballsinov. Are you happy? Witchya black ass?

20. Bordon

Anybody can appreciate them. But you don't like the white boy hype train GGG, which is why you've been campaigning for him not to fight Canelo and instead fight a list of larger, anonymous no name negros like Ward, Degale, Jack, etc hoping he'd lose to a black guy instead of get props for beating up a Mexican. You really think everyone here doesn't see that, Reed? Honestly?

21. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Are You Serious???...

Triple G is More ASIAN than Anything, Dumbfuck...Is Kostya Tszyu Also a "White Boy"???...Certainly Not to REED's Eyes...

This is What Happens when an IGNORANT Ass Poster, Full of his Own Built-In Biases, ASSumes Everyone Else is Just Like Him...REED Most Certainly AIN'T Like You, Twerp...You're a MISERABLE Excuse for a Boxing Fan, who Takes Knowledge of Posters Ethnic Backgrounds and Heaps LAME, Unfounded Generalizations Upon Them...It's Like You're a 15 Year Old who REALLY Thinks the Rest of the World Revolves Around his OWN Sheltered "Life Experiences" of Being in High School...

You're a TROLL, No More, No Less...And Whenever You Get Your Fucking SKIRT Pulled Down in a Boxing Debate, This is What you Resort To...

While Triple G was Being Hyped, REED Often Wondered ON FIGHTBEAT, Why Kovalev (an AUTHENTIC "White Boy") Wasn't Getting that Same Level of Praise, Since he was Fighting and Beating BETTER Fighters...

Just Because You WEREN'T Here to See those Posts Doesn't Mean they Don't Exist...Do your Fucking Research and You'll See REED's Typewritten Words on the Matter...

Fuuuuurthermore, REED was Campaigning for Triple G to Do WHATEVER IT TOOK to Land a Big Fight...REED Said he Should've ACCEPTED Whatever Catchweight Canelo Offered...REED Even Noted How Golovkin Offered a Catchweight to Ward, and Made it Known he'd Go as Low as '52 to Face Floyd...

Sorry, but you REED Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Tooooooooooooooooo MUCH Into REED's "Motive", When All Your Stupid Ass Had to Do was ASK...Please Believe, REED'll Gladly OWN ANY Biases he May Have w/NOfuckingFEAR of Repercussions...

"Everyone" Knows PRECISELY What REED's Thoughts are/were on the Matter, so Please DON'T Try to Speak for Anyone Else, Bitch...

22. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Agreed. I can't beleive that some try to act like a Ward KO was a foregone conclusion

23. esk59

esk59 WBC Champion

Home Page:
    I think most of us here(including you) who are being intellectually honest agree with what happened in the fight. The disagreement is with how to interpret those events.

You seem to think that what we saw means that Ward stopped Kovalev and the low blows meant little because it was obvious Kovalev was done. You agree the stoppage was retarded but you don't think it matters anyway because if Weeks hadn't stopped it, Kovalev would've stilled been stopped, maybe brutally.

I think Ward fought a great fight, I think he fought better than the first fight without question. I acknowledge that he hurt Kovalev bad and had him holding on. However, I think the stoppage was terrible because it robbed us of a definitive conclusion. Ward was excited trying to knock Kovalev out and he landed at least one low blow. The last punch was decisively a low blow. The ref stopped it and robbed us of the conclusion of the fight. It didn't look good for Kovalev but that doesn't mean the fight should've been over. He's a world champion, they're both world champions, you have to give them the benefit of the doubt. This is a boxing match, things get brutal in there. If you ever saw a brutal fight between John David Jackson(Kovalev's trainer) and Jorge Castro, you would understand that you can't end a championship superfight over some bullshit like that. That was sloppy, clumsy and absolutely outrageous that a boxing event ended like that with controversy instead of a satisfactory conclusion.

You are offended because you think Ward is not getting enough credit. Well, I am giving him credit but I can't give him credit for a knockout because I don't think that was a legitimate stoppage. Weeks robbed Ward of that and Kovalev of the chance to fight back.

I am offended because this fight was starting to heat up. It could've turned into something great. But instead of that we have something that looks like a complete fraud. It literally made me disgusted with boxing.

24. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Balanced, Well Adjusted Post...Pretty Much Spot-On, Though REED Falls Just Short of Saying Ward HAD the Fight Won, Already...

Post Fight Angst from Last Night and Earlier Today Should RIGHTFULLY Be Channeled Towards Tony Weeks...That Being Said, REED Thinks Weeks was More INCOMPETENT than CORRUPT...

25. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    Damn stayed away for most the day. this debate went south real quick.

26. Bordon

Fuck you Uncle Ben!

27. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Reed, it's great you're playing the contrarian and all, but when you come out of Andre's asshole, you'll see that you're still covered in shit.

If you think Kovalev wasn't likely to be a completely different fighter after a 5 minute rest, then you're just being stupid. I know you've seen enough boxing to know better.

Based on your critique of my last paragraph, I know you haven't seen enough Mexican boxing, though.

Also, when refs say what is low, how often do they touch the bottom of the belt? Almost never. They either touch the top of the belt or they say "and your belt is high so anything below here is going to be considered low" as they touch an inch or two lower, guessing where the belly button is. I can't even remember ever seeing a ref touch the bottom of the belt, although someone like Michael Grant deserved even lower than that.

28. mikE

Against Ward again, I'd have him throwing 80% jabs and rarely letting the right go. That's like young Vitali or old Wlad. Contrary to that, Kovalev's first good punch was a right to the body and he might not have thrown that punch again. What the fuck?

Spot on with your first sentence of the last paragraph. Ward said he was drinking looking at your 2nd sentence?

29. mikE

Damn. The video is not working and I'm not at home. Almost always, when a ref says belt line and refers to belt line and points to the belt line, the ref points to the TOP of the belt, not the bottom. Generally, that means a guy can get away with a shot at the top of the belt, like with half of the glove on skin, and half below. All of the ones Ward is getting a pass for were all belt.

Does Weeks point lower than the top of the belt when giving the fighters instructions?

30. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

It was actually Virgil Hunter who said it. I believe in the months leading up to the negotiations and he brought it up again in the first press conference announcing the fight about Kovalev drinking vodka.