Welter-weight Rankings....

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Double L, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Double L

Double L Book Reader

no. i'm saying, pretend Margarito beats Williams and Cotto. how does his claim at 147 then compare to PBF's? that's all i'm asking. i'm not even suggesting it's possible. or even likely. i'm just saying, suppose it happens, can you at least admit that it will be a bigger accomplishment than PBF's at 147? or is there nothing any fighter can do to top PBF's wins over Judah and Baldomir?

2. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

Why waste my time supposing something that never will happen?
    Dude, we're talking about Margarito here, a guy who spent his ENTIRE career at 147 and who has nothing to show for it.
    I mean, Clottey is one of the biggest names on his resume, Baldomir's achieved more than that, for Chris' sakes.

3. Double L

Double L Book Reader

ok. then let me spell it out. forget about margarito. if a fighter, any fighter, manages to beat Cotto and Williams, will he have a bigger claim to the 147 title than PBF?

4. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

Not if PBF beats the living hell out of this mythical "fighter".

5. Double L

Double L Book Reader

ok. so if PBF doesn't fight this mythical fighter, he certainly can't beat him. and thus, his claim to the 147 pound title will be no more.

6. Mitchell Kane

Mitchell Kane WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I wasn't pretending it never happened, but few people have seen the fight (which took place eight years ago) that it's hard to get solid accounts of a fight I've never seen.

What I do know is Clottey was something like 22 years old, much younger than Baldomir was at the time, and much less experienced, yet was winning the fight late and had points taken away because of headbutts and was ultimately disqualified.

Not sure how that "certainly proves what level each fighter occupies" eight years later.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  7. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

but why PBF wouldn't fight this mythical fighther? PBF already fought the best at 147, why would he not fight the best there again?

8. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

And what I know is that Baldomir proved (in the ring) to be a better fighter than Clottey.

9. Mitchell Kane

So you take a snapshot of two fighters career eight years ago and that proves what level they're at currently?

Baldomir was six years older and had fought in over twice as many fights.

Have you even seen the fight to be drawing the conclusions you do?

10. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

I have no idea what level they're currently at.
    The only hard fact I know is that Baldomir defeated Clottey.

11. Double L

Double L Book Reader

because he's already declared all parties involved not worth his while. that says to me that he has no intention of fighting any of them. he doesn't even consider Mosley worth his while, the guy who beat ODH twice, and more impressively than he himself did (figure that one out).

12. Mitchell Kane

He won on a disqualification in a bout that Clottey was winning on the scorecars, despite the fact that he lost two points in the 10th round for an "intentional" headbutt.

That's some "hard fact" about who the better fighter was.

Wouldn't you even like to see the headbutt that was ruled "intentional" before drawing conclusions on the fight (let alone the rest of the fight)?

13. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

Dude, I've seen the entire fight and will post screenshots tomorrow, when I get back from work......Baldomir methodically broke down Clottey, until the guy just fouled his way out.

14. Mitchell Kane

Can you post screenshots of the headbutts, please?

15. ?H?L?QU?L?$

?H?L?QU?L?$ Leap-Amateur

So Margarito ranks ahead based on what he MAY do and what Floyd MAY not do. :clap:

You're the first in line to call fraud fans when one dares to speculate Floyd will probably beat Adrian Stone but you rank Margarito as #1 because your biased 99% likely to be wrong ass thinks Margarito will beat Williams and Cotto.:rolleyes:

Mark my words, Castillo and Margarito are getting beat this year. With DLH already getting beat, you better start looking for a new mejicano. JC Chavez Jr to beat Mayweather anyone? :dunno:

16. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    mayweather, margarito, cotto, mosley,clottey

17. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    if margarito beats williams then the winner of him and cotto would certainly vault to the top and be 1 or 1a with mayweather

18. Double L

Double L Book Reader

dude, you can't even see my point. i'm not even talking about margarito. you're just bustin in on a discussion with your usual PBF can do no wrong defense, and it's not even what we're talking about.

i'm simply pointing out a hypothetical scenario under which PBF would lose his "claim" as the 147 king that dympipiel seems to think he has.

why would i do this? i do this to make the point that dympipiel's nose is so far up PBF's ass that he can't even fathom a scenario in which somebody other than PBF would've earned the distinction as welter-weight champion. in other words, it needs to be acknowledged that when PBF cherry-picks his way through divisions, he inevitably runs the risk of losing a true claim as a champion of any division.

this has nothing to do with your PBF crusade, and the fact that my dislike for the guy seems to drive you nuts,

19. KaukipRrr

KaukipRrr "Twinkle Toes" McJack

1) Mosely / Margarito
    2) Cotto
    3) Clottey
    4) Cintron

Baldomir is a fucking scrub who's got a connection with three of the most overrated fighters ever, no wonder why this genuine journeyman is still being mentioned. Thankfully Vernon Forrest will shut that shit out for good.

20. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I like to live in the present too. Mayweather is retired. You can't rank a retired guy. If he announces he's going to fight on then by all means rank him any way you want. Until then he's retired and has no place in this thread. Take it to mythical matchups if you want to talk about retired fighters.

21. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    margarito
    cotto
    mosley
    clottey
    cintron

22. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

betting:
    floyd
    cotto
    margarito
    mosley
    williams

hope:
    margarito
    floyd
    cotto
    williams
    mosley

possible:
    every combination.
    Their styles are so different that until they fight it's going to be bs guesswork.
    Margarito williams is only the first step.
    Yes, it's hard to imagine Floyd being the 5th best, but when I look at the others, yeah..they all bring different things that could trouble floyd, at least potentially.

23. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

Well, here's a few promsided screenshots....
    Clottey, unable to handle Baldomir's pressure, rams his head in Carlos' face

[​IMG]

Referee, fed up with Clottey's persistent fouling, DQs him.

[​IMG]

24. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

P.S. If anyone wants a DVD of the fight, PM me....