What if these fights were 15 rounders? Any change in the outcome?

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by puerto rock, Mar 12, 2024.

1. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Bowe-Holyfield 1
    Morales-Barrera 1
    Leonard-Hearns 2
    Leonard -Hagler
    Ward-Kovalev 1
    Corrales-Casamayor 2
    Trinidad-De La Hoya
    De La Hoya-Quartey

Your thoughts.

Hut*Hut and Irish like this.
  2. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Good thread

Irish likes this.
  3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Bowe probably stops Holy.

Barrera probably stops Morales.

Leonard KOs Hearns again, and possibly gets stopped by Hagler.

De La Hoya could have an extra loss and a clear loss to Titov

Greynotsoold, Deasil and Flo-Raiden like this.
  4. BOSS

BOSS TBD

If Hoya Tito went 15 there'd be no bell to end it... Oscar would run through a ribbon with his hands raised...

Greynotsoold likes this.
  5. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Would be better if it was 16 rounds.

BOSS likes this.
  6. Flo-Raiden

Flo-Raiden Undisputed Champion

Bowe-Holyfield 1: Bowe stops Holyfield late

Morales-Barrera 1: Barrera stops Morales late

Leonard-Hearns 2: Leonard stops Hearns late

Leonard -Hagler: Hagler stops Leonard late

Ward-Kovalev 1: Ward possibly wins this the late rounds more convincingly and there wouldn’t be any controversy on this win.

Corrales-Casamayor 2: Casamayor could possibly steal the late rounds and take the win from Corrales.

Trinidad-De La Hoya: Trinidad sweeps the late rounds and still wins a decision.

De La Hoya-Quartey: Quartey could possibly take the late rounds and turn the decision to his favor.

puerto rock and Greynotsoold like this.
  7. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Here's the problem with this though. If it was 15 rounds Oscar wouldn't unload like he did in the 12th....

Azazel, George Crowcroft and Xplosive like this.
  8. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Yep, it seems a lot of people look at guy who was gassed in the 11th/12th then they would be finished in a 15 round fight. That would be true if they just changed the rule at that moment and the referee announced there would be three more added rounds.

The thing if a fight is 15/20/30 rounds whatever they train for that distance. Obviously a guy with a bigger gas tank is going to do better the more rounds it goes but they still prepare for the amount its scheduled for. Secondly the effort they put put in is going to be based upon how much time is left. I don't buy that guys who have appeared gassed in a 12 rounder would automatically be done for if there were nine more minutes to go and another 3 breaks. With that said certainly some guys would do better with more rounds, i just don't think there's much worth in looking how some individual fights went given they were scheduled for 12 in the first place.

Jesus of montreal likes this.
  9. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    I think fighters pace themselves differently, so things would be a little different.

I think Oscar’s being tense in the ring would hurt him in 15 rounders, but Quartey wasn’t exactly the strongest finisher either. I see that being a controversial decision for Oscar either way.

Trinidad wins less controversially over Oscar in a 15 rounder, as Oscar said he was fatiguing and his legs were getting shaky late in the fight.

Leonard maybe still wins a controversial decision in a 15 rounder. Perhaps Hagler is even extra patient and gives away even more rounds if it’s scheduled for 15. Leonard’s gas tank was great at having that extra wind.

The accumulated damage might be too much for Holyfield to last 15 in the first Bowe fight. The one I think of more is the rematch. Holyfield was hurt and tired in round 12.

puerto rock, Punk and Hut*Hut like this.
  10. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I think the only way to answer this question is to assume that instead of the final bell ringing for the 12th, they just get told to go back to their corners and carry on.

That pretty much mitigates things like strategy differences, training, pacing etc

11. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

What if instead they told them that the fight was only scheduled for 6 and the second half of the fight doesn't count in the scoring. :Jest:

George Crowcroft and Azazel like this.
  12. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I can see that but i favor Hagler. I think there's a reason SRL made one of the stipulations it being 12 rounds. He knew the strategy he was going to employ would only be harder the longer it went. Not saying if it's 15 rounds Marvin automatically wins but i give him the edge.

Deasil and Irish like this.
  13. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Ok...

Bowe tries to get Holy gone,gasses because he doesn't have 15 round experience like Holyfield, and has to hang on for a close decision win.

Morales and Barrera continue to test each other up for another 3 rounds and Morales still takes a disputed decision.

Leonard Vs Hearns: Ray runs around for 3 rounds and wins a split decision because people will fool themselves that "Hearns wilted just like the first fight".

Leonard Vs Hagler:- see above. Ray does his usual shit and wins more rounds.

Ward Vs Kovalev....no difference. Ward doesn't have a great tank, Kovajev does not either, Kovalev is still getting robbed.

Corrales Vs Casamayor.....can't say, can't remember how that went down.

Trinidad might get a 15th round KO over Oscar. Tito did seem to finish strong at 147 and Oscar was ragged.....

Oscar Vs Quartey.....Oscar wins 2 out of the final 3 to get a unanimous decision. He did hurt Quartey badly in that round, no doubt, and burned himself out. Quartet had a LOT of flat spots in that fight and Is at would have been able to just peck away to get those rounds.

Ike never finished 12 rounds strong in his life and another 3 weren't likely to see him become any better.

puerto rock likes this.
  14. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    I'm also operating on the basis that the fight is signed for 12 with both men being told to box on for another 3.

15. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Other fights intrigue me:

Calzaghe Vs Lacy.....I think Calzaghe would have to wait for Lacy to bleed to death or faint rather than get an actual KO.

Klitschko Vs Peter I: I think Wlad gets a stoppage because Peter was done off that big left.

Roy Vs Tarver I: I think Roy had found a way to win. Tarver wasn't going to find a KO blow. Roy would pick his moments for the next 3 rounds and Tarver would walk around making faces and asking questions but not much more.

Hatton Vs Collazzo.....Hatton actually closed stronger despite taking a beating in the 11th. I think he just does enough to take a share of the final 3 to escape (again).

Oscar Vs Shane I: more of the same. Shane knew Latin fighters inside out.

Winky Vs Taylor: Manny Steward has a heart attack.

puerto rock likes this.
  16. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    This thread needs a stupid hot take:

Tyson-Ruddock 2: Tyson gets DQd via low blows. Personal/legal problems, getting drilled way more than he was used to, exhausted, flat-footed - Mike had a real heavy air towards the end of that one & another 9 minutes would've been alot. A couple more deliberate low blows in 13 or 14 gets him his 4th and final points deduction

Irish likes this.
  17. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Bradley-Provodnikov almost certainly ends in a Provo stoppage if it's a 15 rounder. Bradley was DONE at the end of the 12th.

18. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Provo would find away to not finish it.....

Xplosive likes this.
  19. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

That is possible. Provo was a terrible finisher.

20. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Bowe vs Holy- I suspect Bowe would have gotten him outta there. Holly’s gas tank late in fights was questionable and I think the accumulation was too much. How many more uppercuts could Holyfield have survived?

Morales-Barrera, agreed. I think both guys had too much pride and hatred toward the other to allow either guy the satisfaction of stopping the other. Morales probably still wins a close one with controversy.

Leonard vs Hearns 2. I think Hearns still hangs on and probably sees the decision go against him due to Leonard being Leonard. Tommy was hurt but imo not nearly as bad as in fight 1.

I think Hagler would have stopped Ray, however. Leonard was towards the end was on his last legs and Hagler seemed to realize his mistake of giving away too many early rounds.

Agreed on Ward-Kovalev. I don’t think Sergei gets stopped. I think they probably fight 3 extra debatable rounds and Ward still gets it, provided it’s in the US.

Corrales-Casamayor 2 is a debatable one for me because while Corrales boxed much better this go around, Casa did drop him late and he had the capability of doing it again at some point. I’m guessing Chico hangs on for the close decision.

Tito-Oscar is interesting because DLH was just completely running on fumes and taking more punches. I don’t see Oscar having the desire to close strong here. I can see Tito hurting him late, but the likelihood is that he still wins a close decision with less controversy.

De La Hoya and Quartey were both spent imo. Oscar probably gets the decision even if he loses the next 3 rounds, but I don’t see him having enough to pull out another flurry like that.

21. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Yeah I can see Holy getting stopped I'm just trying to give him every chance on the basis of a proven 15 round track record. Bit of a reach.

puerto rock likes this.
  22. Double L

Double L Book Reader

The real question is, what would happen if after 12 rounds, they're each issued a sword, shield and armor?

23. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Probably favors the English fighter.

24. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    If it's heels fishnets and a wig then Oscar takes TITO OUT!

puerto rock likes this.
  25. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Disagreed. It must be easier to plod forward then move around wearing heels. The wig might be a factor but not a decisive one.

Hut*Hut likes this.
  26. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Yes if Oscar wears fishnets it'd be easier to set traps