When was Mike Tyson's prime?

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Trey KO, Apr 19, 2011.

1. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

interesting Trey..

I am also a Tyson fan and I actually think he has become UNDER rated over the years..

he didn't smash through opposition like "you are supposed to" he DESTROYED everyone in impressive fashion and he was a KID.. I think he was such a phenom

anyway... to me his Physical prime ended when he went to jail.

that said.. the douglas fight IMO was where his lifestyle caught up to him. I hate to take credit away from Douglas but Tyson was TOTALLY unprepared.. out drinking all night in Japan, corner was a joke.. he just didn't train like he did when he was young and his conditioning, timing, everything was terrible.

2. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    I have a newspaper article I found under my carpet as a kid from 1988 in the lead up to the Spinks fight. The whole piece is about Mike's spiralling personal life and all the whispers about his degenerating training practices. That was only late 1988.

By 1990 he was getting his ass kicked in sparring by Greg Page and trevor Berbick and his life was a car crash.

'Prime' is just a word, it's a boring semantic argument. Does it mean this or that, nobody here is an authority on that and it's meaning in boxing terms isn't in the dictionary. But there's no argument that he was a declined fighter, whichever word you choose to use for that change. None.

3. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

easy question to answer:

1986 to pre-Jail

4. Ron King 702

Ron King 702 Undisputed Champion

This is one of the stupidest posts Ive seen in a long time. All you have to doo is subject his fights to the "eye test" There are LOTS of people that say that by the Bruno fight in 89 thta Tyson was on the decline. He was rocked for the first time in that fight and his fighting style had changed.

Douglas was at his best and Tyson was slow and plodding and out of shape. and Mike almost still knocked him out.

5. Bob N Weave

Bob N Weave Guest

Disagree. Mike simply fought a man with more will that night, plain and simple.

6. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Agreed. To add to that, he didn't look that great in the first Bruno fight, which was in '89. Like you said, the guy's life was an absolute disaster.

7. Bep_Van_Klaveren

Bep_Van_Klaveren Leap-Amateur

8. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    He was in his prime, but he came into the fight out-of-shape and unprepared for a motivated Buster Douglas.

9. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Mark Breland.

10. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Not true. Tony Tucker and James Tillis come to mind.

11. Ron King 702

Ron King 702 Undisputed Champion

12. 'Lil Mac

'Lil Mac Scrub

Not really. Tucker broke his hand early in the fight. Kinda hard to "push"someone with a broken right hand.

Tillis? Cmon man, Tillin came in that fight losing 4 of 5 and couldnt crack an egg. Surely not the type of fighter to break down Mike.

13. loadedgloves

I believe there are a number of fighters who could've beaten a motivated, in-shape, focused, Rooney-trained Tyson. Lennox Lewis comes to mind, first and foremost. Buster Douglas put on a hell of a performance that night, and I think that version of him would still have given any version of Mike fits, but the fact of the matter is that he was facing a very degraded fighter from the one that KO'd Berbick, Holmes, and Spinks.

I think the version of Tyson that faced Douglas would've had serious problems with say, Pinklon Thomas.

14. loadedgloves

Maybe, but tall fighters who liked to clinch were always a problem for Tyson throughout his entire career. He didn't know how to deal with clinching.

15. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

This is what I was saying..