Whole body workout = big improvements

Discussion in 'Training & Conditioning' started by BOSS, Mar 15, 2011.

1. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Since I'm currently cutting I read an article some month ago on men's health that instead of doing splits (which i normally did) to do a whole body workout 3 times a week. So I started doing it Mon Wed Fri (With cardio mon-sat. 1 hour of cycling! Great great great cardio workout I'm telling you)

So it's 4 sets of each of these

Bench Press
    Back (Rows or pull ups or etc)
    Deadlift
    Squat
    Calves
    Abs
    Shoulder press

And I gotta say I'm seeing incredible improvements. I bench more than ever hell I do everything more than ever. I love it!

2. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

After years working in a gym and doing splits, I now am a fan of and agree with whole body training

3. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    how long are the work outs for...2 hours or so?

28 sets :scratcher:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  4. BOSS

BOSS TBD

I would say 1.5 hours + cycling = 2.5 hours (2 hours at the very least if I rush everything and skip some stuff )

5. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    BOSS, you seem to really be into this whole weight lifting thing. Is your body lean or more bulky type? I think swimmers have the best looking bodies.

6. BOSS

BOSS TBD

I would say a mix of both. I'm 5'10-5'11 and 182 pounds currently . I am aiming for 6'2 and 175 pounds .lol joking but ya 175 pounds will be good! I am telling you spinning/cycling class is the best thing ever as far as a cardio work out I love it.

I do agree that swimmers have good bodies because they're not too big and very lean. I would say I'm a tad bigger than that but I don't like the bulky look. To me and to a lot of women it's not an attractive look. Lean with enough muscle is the best look I find.

7. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    :lol:

8. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    ?

Thanks for the reply BOSS.

9. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Sorry mate, I thought you were role playing some sort of feel-out screening cruise on a gay dating site there.

:lol::TLC:

I think Gymnasts are the buffest boys personally. Mercy!

10. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I agree with this. I am not a keen bodybuilder or anything but I work out twice a week, whole body both times and I vary my training routine slightly in every two months. I have also gotten good results and my physique is ripped!

11. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Don't much matter what you do. If in 3 months time your lifts are 'X', your lifts are 'X', innit. Ain't no voodoo, chile'.

12. Barristan

Barristan Undisputed Champion

it really helps me when I plateau...I have to go full body at least 4 months out of the year

13. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

I like to train hard and drink double servings of metimucil

14. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

How about arms (both biceps and triceps)? Is that included in this routine? Which arm exercises do you do BOSS and how many sets/reps?

15. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

BOSS, do you feel fully recovered to do full body workouts with a day of rest inbetween or do you sometimes feel lagging or sore?
    I mean when you do a full body workout on Monday, do you not feel some soreness in the body when you attack the body again on Wednesday? Or do you do a lighter load so as not to overtrain? Do you do the same weights and reps for all 3 days of full body workouts?

16. BOSS

BOSS TBD

To answer your first question I didn't do arms . Arms were basically done along with bigger muscle groups. Meaning when I did back biceps also got a workout and when I did chest triceps got a little workout and that was enough. That's what I read in that article at least it said since they're small muscles that should be enough to maintain but ya I had to stop working out hardcore for a bit because of a shoulder injury but now I'm back in it.

I would get sore ya bro I mean after a while I felt like I was overdoing it because I was indeed feeling lagging /soreness. That led me to doing a whole body only twice a week from then on and cardio the days inbetween and I find that was a lot more doable. And ya I would do the same weights if not heavier a bit only to see how far I can push myself.

To summarize 2 times a week whole body workout worked the best for me and I am going to start doing it again now.

17. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

Sounds good. :bears: Did you manage to get your desired results with your abs or you still gonna work on it till end of Summer? Your pic was impressive so I'm thinking you'll get the results pretty soon if you haven't already.

18. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Thanks Hanz and no I haven't . Too many distractions in my life plus I had my Paralegal licensing exam on August 10th and studying for it and stressing over that shit really took up most of my free time. But starting this weekend I really got into it again so in no time I shall be where I want to be!

19. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

How about pre and post workout meals? Anything in particular you take strictly for muscle growth and muscle repair? I'm not using anything right now. Just eating basic meals that I always do like Indian food including goat, lamb, chicken, etc. Fast food and all that rubbish too but sparingly, like once per week. Drinking mostly water too.

20. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

This sounds like a good workout.
    Compound ex's like deadlifts and squats will get better results, faster, IMO.

Do you use kettlebells for anything?

21. timmothysmith01

timmothysmith01 Leap-Amateur

These are the best workouts you can do for whole-body weight loss and can do on a daily basis in your life:

Swimming

Yoga

Cycling

Jogging & Running

Cardio Workout

1. Burpees

2. Push-Ups

3. Squat jumps

4. Jumping rope

5. Jumping Jacks

6. Screamer lunge

7. Mountain climbers