Wonder Woman (2017) first look/clips

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Yup. To give the MCU some credit though they have at least 4 films with 90+ rottentomatoes rating. Impressive.

I suspect that Wonder Woman has a shot at some academy awards, being that it has a female lead as well as being good.

2. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    This time Disney decided not to pay. Otherwise it would be too obvious.

3. Destruction and Mayhem

lol. Come off it. I watched Suicide Squad for the first time this past weekend...and it was shit. Started off interesting but just degenerated from there into a mess. BvS was ok, but the potential was wasted in the execution. MoS was just a disaster....all I remember from it was Kryptonians flying through buildings and destroying the place.

On the other hand the following films had great scripts and good flow:

Iron Man
    Avengers
    Civil War
    Winter Soldier
    Ant Man
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    The Incredible Hulk

The critics were merely a microcosm of the viewing public.

4. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

My point is: this movie needs to be a massive hit for DC not just financially because the others havent been complete box-offices failures but also from a standpoint that DC are 'back in the game' and from a socio-political point: I've never read so much about a movie relating to women/Feminism and other LGBT groups - its all over the media.

And in today's climate that's a major plus.

I can't envision too many guys going "Hey dudes...fancy seeing the new Wonder Woman flick?"

This movie is being similar treatment to the Ghostbusters remake last year...but from different angles.

5. Destruction and Mayhem

I must have missed something: what's the LGBT angle in this film?

Actually most "dudes" are interested in this film. Wonder Woman is a well known and iconic comic book character...the fact that she's a woman is secondary. Like I said before it's Superman, Batman, Spider-Man and the Wonder Woman in terms of comic book mainstream cultural impact.

I think it'll be a hit.

6. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Im sure I told you about this before but ou probably dismisse it as a Magus trap! lol

Come on Sly, I know you have some sexual naivety but cant believe youre that naive?
    Wonder Woman has always been a gay icon - I thought everyone knew that?
    The 1970s series with Lynda Carter started all that - or it might have even been dabbled with in the 60s.

Oh well, here you go:
    Wonder Woman is an LGBT icon, but will the 2017 movie reveal her bisexuality:
    Wonder Woman Is An LGBT Icon, Will The Movie Reveal Her Bisexuality?

Will Wonder Woman be the movies´ first major queer superhero?
    Will Wonder Woman be the movies' first major queer superhero?

Confirmed: Wonder Woman is queer - LBGT Nation

Confirmed: Wonder Woman is queer

There´s literally tons of articles about it - but you can always Google ´Wonder Woman Gay Icon´ and read em for ya self!

7. Destruction and Mayhem

I'll check'em out. I heard though that in this film she has a nude love scene with Chris Pine. That doesn't sound particularly bisexual.

8. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Dude. Are you that dumb or naive? LOLz
    Seriously?
    Does ´acceptance´ of modern-day Homosexuality, Bisexuality and of LBGT issues disgust you so much that you refuse to admit whats going on and/or bury your head in the sand about it?
    :emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

9. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

You are right! 94% RT. I stand corrected.

10. Destruction and Mayhem

What?

11. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Your ´But....Noooooooooooo!!! She gets involved with Chris Pine - a man!!! Hetrosexuality all the way!!!´ comment is almost you in denial!!

Panchy is worse - the mere thought of a gay Luke Skywalker had him suffering a stroke Im sure (or was that you too, Sly?)

12. Destruction and Mayhem

Bisexual woman is no problem for me Magus. Many women fantasize or experiment with it. It's no big deal.

A gay Luke Skywalker...now that's an entirely different matter...

13. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Is not a 'nude love scene'. It is more that she accidentally sees him naked and became curious about his, er, masculinity distinction as she had never seen a man before...much less a male 'distinction'.

14. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    I hear you. I am still convinced it wont be a huge hit. I hope i am wrong, but i dont believe it will be the case. 85 million opening maybe. But im still not seeing the excitement. There are still empty seats at the Imax for tickets. With big hits, those seats are usually gone by now. We shall see. I hope it's a huge gigantic hit. I just doubt it

15. Destruction and Mayhem

It'll be a hit. It'll rival MCU hit numbers.

16. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Same here - Im not that warped that I hope a movie fails spectacularly, but I do feel for DC - they deserve to get their shit together.
    Im more interested in seeing how Justice League pans out, tbh.
    Ive never been into Wonder Woman comics, TV show or movies.....the character is just too goody-goody for my liking - bt like how DC made Superman.

17. Destruction and Mayhem

The first two Superman films are excellent. After that, IMO, only the Nolan Batman trilogy are on that level.

All of the ones in between and after have been substandard.

DC comics, IMO are better than Marvel Comics (with the exception of X men)...but Marvel has so far translated their characters to screen far better.

18. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Man of Steel and BVS have stuck with me and are on a much higher level intellectually and philosophically than any Marvel movie.

19. Destruction and Mayhem

BvS was soooo much wasted potential. I was very intrigued during the first 30 mins...but it's as if Zach Snider just got bored and ran out of ideas and just took shortcuts to finish the film. It could have been the best comic book superhero film to date.

I know that when you say Marvel movie, you're speaking specifically to the MCU, but the first two X men films were definitely high on an intellectual and philosophical level as well as in the execution and the screenplay. Far superior to any DC film outside of the Nolan Trilogy films...and at least as good as those two.

20. Destruction and Mayhem

Also...The Incredible Hulk is a very underrated film. It was a serious thriller....and very well paced.

21. Destruction and Mayhem

Man of Steel was bullshit though.

22. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Have you seen the BVS directors Cut three hour version? Many that hated the theatrical version loved that one.

23. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Hulk is my favorite because its deep as fuck, With Ang Lee. But not sure if that is an MCU film. But BVS and MOS were just more powerful intellectually to me.

24. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Loved it. On a deep level that movie hit me. There wasnt even a villain in that movie IMO. That dialogue Zod was spewing about his planet was some shit nobody in marvel could ever think up. Gives me Goosebumps thinking about it.

25. Destruction and Mayhem

Yes, I've seen it and it is much better....but it still doesn't solve perhaps the main problem with the film: The reason why Superman decided to fight Batman (Batman's reasons were well built up) and the resolution of the fight (Batman's mother having the same first name is bullshit). Also Superman choosing to let Batman go after his mother instead....would never happen. It was his mother and he's faster and more powerful than Batman...he would tell Wayne "screw you...I'm going after her...if you know where she is tell me". Also...no way could Superman have held that Kryptonite Spear for long enough to kill Doomsday with it. Bull shit.

That's why I disagree with this "intellectual, philosophical" take that you have on the film. These were childish/rushed decisions made by the director.

26. Destruction and Mayhem

The fact that the film didn't have a real villain is what actually troubled me. Zod was too sympathetic. I had loved Superman 2, because the villain (Zod) was clearly defined. Zod was power hungry as well as out for revenge on Jor'el (and his progeny). Great set up. In this one....Zod had a point....the Krypton council were bullshit and deserved to die. He wanted this codec which was understandable. Also Zod could have terraformed Mars or Venus, he didn't need Earth. The story tried to be clever but was too convoluted and messy and then they thought they'd make up for it by crashing through gas stations and buildings for teh last hour of the film. Too much BS for me.

27. Destruction and Mayhem

I think Civil War is underrated from a Philosophical and cerebral standpoint. Lots of deep sub-plots within that film. It wasn't just action and fighting. It wasn't a comedy either. There's the basic overarching question of whether Superheroes require government oversight. Are they heroes or menace? There's Black Panther's personal reasons for entering the fray. There's the complicated relationship between Rogers and Barnes and Rogers and Stark. There's the Barnes backstory which ultimately links him to Stark. There's a lot of good stuff going on between the action scenes...which were excellent. Black Panther was a great character. In fact all of the Superheroes were handled well and each one had his/her moment to shine. Very well crafted film and not a kiddie film by any means.

Winter Soldier was a thriller and very good too.

28. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Superman wasnt really fighting batman tho. He was just toying with him. Superman could have killed him in two seconds. Superman was trying to reason with him. He was trying to explain to him what's going on. Batman was the one that was stuck in his ways and it was not computing that he was being manipulated by someone on a superior level intellectually than him, in Lex Luthor. The name was not really the reason the fight stopped. It was the reason he hesitated long enough for Lois to come in and explain things. Had Lois not been there, that Spear would have been in Superman's Chest. And Superman knew Batman was capable enough to handle the task of saving his mother. Batman was not capable enough to handle the task superman need to do instead of saving his mother. That is the beginning of the trust between the two. It was rushed in the theaters, it was not rushed in the three hour Directors Version.

29. Anthony

Motherfucker
    It's easy to have someone be Bad and Good and you just fight and root for the Good guy. When you have two people both for fighting for causes they think is just and even on some levels ARE just, it's more risky and becomes more of a thinking man's movie. I also loved the fact that Superman was struggling with his powers. I always said i wanted superman to be depressed about his abilities early on. Tears in is eyes, emotional about what he can do and the burden it puts on him. Then he would eventually snap out of it and accept who he is. That is why I loved unbreakable so much. It's how a real person would react to having superman powers. Being scared, being in denial, being depressed and being reluctant to really be that hero you are meant to be.

30. Anthony

Motherfucker
    It was easy shit. It was Batman V Superman on a much lower level of thinking. It was a world wide issue with world wide destruction and it felt so small compared to BVS, which actually was just in one area of the planet.