Any point to isolation weight routines?

Discussion in 'Training & Conditioning' started by Punk, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

I can certainly see you having a hard punch. You have those popeye forearms.

I was just messing with ya though, naturally. My handspeed has slowed with age, but in my 20s it was a blur. I could rattle off combinations without even thinking.

2. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    You were also a sprinter, so you probably notice your speed coming off a bit more as you get older. Still, you didn't have an ounce of fat on you when we met up in TO. That takes discipline because at one point I was 220lbs and pretty chubby because I lost all interest in training.

It's hard for me to believe it, but I'm actually a year older than Foreman was when he started his comeback in 1987. Like George, I've seen some things get better and some get worse. When I was younger, I was much more agile, energetic, and squirmy. I'm not as mobile now, but I'm stronger and more relaxed. I would actually gas during workouts from nervous energy and tension. Not anymore. I take a look at the long haul and pace myself accordingly.

As far as forearms go, I've given thought to it over the years, and the forearm muscles are rarely discussed when it comes to punching power. The muscles of the forearm are needed to keep your wrist straight when it comes to delivering punches, but it's grip strength which dictates how much power is transferred to the other person's body or head when you punch.

I think of it like being hit at a good rate of speed with a half-filled bag of sand or a rock of equal weight. The sandbag hits, but it displaces some of the impact because the sand isn't held rigidly together. The rock hits, and because it is rigid and hard, it transfers more of the impact to the object it is hitting.

The muscles and tendons in your forearms and fingers need to be held as tightly together as possible at the moment of impact to transfer more impact, and thus damage, to the object you're hitting. The stronger your forearms and grip, the more rigid your grip, and the less force you absorb at the moment of impact and the more impact your opponent absorbs.

Basically the difference between being hit by a relatively soft object or a relatively hard one. Foreman's grip must be like a vice.

3. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    And so the stronger your grip is, the harder your fist feels when it strikes.

I think it is this, and the practice of transferring force from the axe to the wood over and over again that causes people to develop much more hitting power from woodchopping. You get used to delivering a solid impact without your body absorbing much rebound kinetic energy.

Plus, there's something primally satisfying from using an axe to split through wood, an achievement that just right.

4. Destruction and Mayhem

Absolutely agreed. Stronger forearms, strong wrist creates greater uniformity between the arm and the fist allowing the punch, on impact, to not be compromised by any change in momentum caused by a sudden change in the rigid structure. It creates one indivisible bludgeoning object, if you will.

5. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I wouldn't say indivisible, but certainly it'd be a bludgeoning object with more uniform momentum and impact.

Very succinct, sly. In contrast, I had to get down in the weeds and muck about to get the point across, but that's sometimes the case in an intelligent discussion.

Rather unlike your discussion with Double L regarding PBF and what a lead right hand is. :l2:

6. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

I still don't believe you can do this T&T...250lb...bench press...for 3-4 sets of 12 reps?

That makes your 1RM somewhere around 320-350lb...

7. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

It's a term that women in the UK have created for when a guy gets 'flu' or has a 'head-cold'.

8. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:

He means his 1 rep max is 250lbs in the bench press.

It's a good bench. Respectable. I have no idea what my current bench is because of my wonky rotator cuff. I don't try to go too heavy. The other night I was doing 225lbs for 8 reps, but like I said, my rotator cuff makes me a bit reluctant to go too too heavy. I've done 280lbs for 2 and 300lbs for 1 before in the bench.

I seem to hit a sticking point after that, but I think I can get past it. Perhaps some partial reps with a heavier weight would get me used to the stress on my wrists and tendons?

9. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I did get a bit of a laugh last night though. It was actually last night that I was doing bench, but this guy wants to work in with me. I figured sure, why not? Anyhow, I managed 8 reps with 225lbs which is the heaviest in the bench that I've done since I reinjured my rotator cuff.

The guy says he'll use the same weight, and I was impressed as he was a bit on the thin side. So then he takes the 225lbs off the rack and proceeds to do 1/4 reps with it. And he considered them to be full reps.

That was funny, to say the least. It's like bending your knees 4 inches and calling them full squats. [​IMG]

10. Destruction and Mayhem

T&T? Very few people know me by that handle. That means you go waaaaaaaay back to the secondsout days. Who are you?

11. Destruction and Mayhem

As buddy said I meant one off.

On a machine I can bench 250lbs for 4 sets of 12 reps. I haven't tried free weights in a while so perhaps I can do more than I've mentioned NOW.

12. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Did you ever post on the 'Naseem Hamed' forum in mid-1999?
    That's where I started...and I actually the disrinction of being #1 visitor on the SecondsOut Forum when Simes created it in early 2000.

13. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Yeah, the Smith machine allows you to get the reps up without your stabilizer muscles giving out due to it being on a pre-determined steady track.

14. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Whoever you are, and I am pretty curious as well, welcome back to the forum. This place is a descendant of that forum as Cupey started it. Let's see: English Bob, Sesquipedalian, El Diablo Fan, Sabicat (unlikely), MADDOG, Simes...surely not Chi-Town Slugger? :)

15. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Simes created Boxingpress. SecondsOut was Mark Butcher and some others if you're referring to the merger between the two.

16. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Boxingpress was 2000. SecondsOut didn't come till later like 2001 or 2002. Whoever you are, you're definitely old-school. If you're posting as Dark Magus due to having been banned, don't sweat it. Bygones.

17. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I'm guessing it was someone who was banned previously like Bammer. He doesn't want to say because it'd make him a target. Perhaps someone I banned?

18. Destruction and Mayhem

Nah it's not bammer. Anyone who knows me by T&T is from a specific tie period. He's an English dude but I forgot his name.

19. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Mean Mr. Mustard, Galactus, 7-7-2?

20. Destruction and Mayhem

MMM I think.

21. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Ah. Well, everybody gets a second chance. I can even free up his original username if he wants.

22. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Yep....other names I remember - Erasurehead, GreenEyes, David Leeder, SuperPatriot....and do you remember Chan?

:lol:

23. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Erasurehead/Cali Dreamer is now Caligula II. GreenEyes used to post at Boxingfanatics, but hasn't been spotted in awhile. Yours truly is David Leeder. I've forgotten SuperPatriot, but Chan posted here very briefly quite sometime ago.

24. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

LOL - I dont know any of those names...but I was Cleto Reyes from the early days of Seconds Out!

Bammer? Was that Alabama Man?

25. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Hahaha - you're David Leeder???
    Who's foot did you tread on in sparring???
    EVERLAST? :lol:

26. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Damn, Cleto, it has been awhile! I hope things have been going well! :bears:

Yeah, Bammer posted here for awhile. It was Chi-Town Slugger whose foot I stepped on in 2002. Hard to believe it was that long ago. Everlast was there in Chicago as well when that happened. He has disappeared.

27. Destruction and Mayhem

Ah nice. I remember your name but i don't remember what we discussed or anything.

28. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Anyway, anyone who feels 'isolation' excersises are N/A should go and have a read of 'The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding' by Arnold Schwarzenegger, aka, 'The Fucking Bible Of Bodybuilding'...

:popcorn:

29. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Yes, but he was a competitive bodybuilder who did nothing but train all day everyday. It's a bit different for 9 to 5ers. Still, I might try some for a few months for a change of pace.

30. NeighborMike

NeighborMike Senior Member

Home Page:
    You can can be a male and want to take good care of yourself and not be like the jersey shore guys, I think i do a good job of that

I dont understand the point of going to the gym if you dont want to look good. Whats the point of just being strong for no reason and looking like a pudge ball

The only reason I work out is to look good. I cant imagine every waking up in the morning being content with just being strong and out of shape