Best decade for movies: 1970s v 1990s - Winner = Anthony

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Rich ´Money´ Mustard, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

To each his own motherfucker. Modern films are denigrated much like modern fighters are. Everyone around here is so damned nostalgic that they miss the beauty going on right in front of them.

90s had great films. 80s did too. But the further back you go the worse the standard is overall with the exceptions of a few beauties like Ten Commandments, planet of the apes, Ben Hur, Vikings, Spartacus

Still, films like gladiator and braveheart were better than Spartacus and the Vikings ( comparing films in the same genre).

Action genre has improved as has fantasy as has swords and sandals.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  2. Destruction and Mayhem

I would agree that thrillers and horrors have regressed somewhat although saw franchise was excellent.

3. Destruction and Mayhem

Plus I think most Americans don't look past Hollywood. There are some great foreign films out there from the last decade or so

4. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

LMFAOOOOOO @ action and fantasy movies improving! You gotta be joking...

What a tard statement.

THE best action and fantasy movies of all time were made between the 70s and 90s.

Jaws, Predator, E.T., Die Hard, Speed, First Blood, Rocky, Lethal Weapon, Enter The Dragon, Clash of The Titans, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Terminator, The Poseidon Adventure, Conan, Total Recall, Bladerunner, Star Wars... PLEEEAAASSEE tell me what fuckin stupid ass action/fantasy movies of today can compete with these movies???? I'll wait.... I'll wait awhile....

You have ONE GENRE and ONE GENRE only that's peaked since the 90s.... the Superhero genre.

EVERY OTHER GENRE has regressed since the 90s. Every...single.....last.... one.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  5. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

The world's attention span has decreased so badly that film makers started making movies shorter and shorter.

In 2016 people generally hate to find out before hand that a movie is over 2 hours. And GOD FORBID it goes over 2.5 hours. People start freaking the Hell out. Like God forbid, they have to go over 2 hours without checking the Facebook feed.

Any very good to great movie has almost ALWAYS been over 2 hours. You can't fit greatness into 80-90 minutes.

Every single one of these bullshit 90-minute movies of the modern era are rushed, and lack any depth.

6. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    I think that's an unfair statement regarding 90's movies. The 2000's and on, I'd wholeheartedly agree.

7. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:

did 90min not exist before the 90's? :nono: do 2.5 hour movies not exist now? :nono:

8. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    I hear a lot of big budget Hollywood films these days are made with the teenage chinese market in mind

9. Steve-Dingo

Steve-Dingo Wizard of Oz

Aye - kenned in the Industry as 'SESES' (Slant Eyed Square Eyes).

10. Steve-Dingo

Steve-Dingo Wizard of Oz

In the seventies, ninety minutes wiz longer. Ah Ken this - Ah wiz five years auld ba the end o' the decade and summer seemed tae last forever, like.

The horror genre wiz certainly better in the seventies than the nineties. In fact, films seemed tae be a lot grittier and more realistic than the nineties film, although, Ah can see why shiny belt buckle wearing types might prefer the more modern gloss.

11. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    Yep. You think Donnie yen is in the new Star Wars movie cause of his acting ability? It's a smart move, but can be distracting at times.

12. Destruction and Mayhem

I have to admit, you win this battle. I can't argue with any of the films on that list. I like the mission impossible and Bourne films as much as or more than any die hard but Jaws, Predator etc, what can I say? You're quite correct.

A man can admit when he's wrong.

13. Destruction and Mayhem

plus I forgot gems like Dirty Harry series, spaghetti westerns etc. The more I think about it I may have to do a 180 on my position. Lol

Still people are too hard on modern films. Superhero genre is really part of action/ fantasy and it is great. Especially the MCU and the Nolan Batman franchise.

Those films is really fucking good for the most part

14. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Of course Im there - I live there!

Anyway, I was lying: it was a bottle of Cachaça. My local has Absolut, Skyy, Grey Goose, Stolichnaya, Cîroc, Belvedeere...but its all imported and dead expensive....like US$40-60 per 750ml.

15. D MAN

D MAN "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    How the fuck is “Remains of the Day” score a 97% RT score???

I just watched it- some seriously boring shit, albeit with just enough simmering ‘intrigue’ throughout to keep me watching the whole thing. I get that is had some deep meaning and good acting. But damn- for the entertainment business is sure is lacking in it’s most basic purpose...

Panchyprsss likes this.
  16. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Technically only Clash of the Titans and Conan: The Barbarian can be considered Fantasy films. Many others you mentioned are science fiction films, not fantasy. Two different genres.

17. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Again: superhero films fall under the SCIFI genre, not Fantasy (LOTR, Harry Potter, Aladdin).