Black Panther initial reactions from World Premier...

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Destruction and Mayhem, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    I think he will actually be teamed with Flash in them movie now.

2. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

DCEU is in shambles right now. "Justice League" ended losing money BIG TIME and that one was supposed to be their "Avengers" event film. Heck 'Black Panther' first weekend made MORE than 'Justice League' ENTIRE domestic run! And almost nobody knew who was Black Panther when he debuted in 'Captain America: Civil War'! It is pathetic than the DC Trinity film (Batman, Superman, Wonder woman) teaming with three more DC heroes were owned by an origin Marvel film of an obscure character. If I were a WB suit I'll admit defeat and cancel the whole DCEU projects to stop the bleeding.

3. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

DC plans to scale back and stop trying to be like Marvel. That’s the smart move, not quitting out right. Marvel has its own studios while DC is just a part of a studio so there was no realistic way DC could have competed. Well maybe, had they had something as simple as quality writing and directing but here’s hoping they learn from there mistakes.

For some reason no matter how obvious it seems, studios just don’t seem to realize that good story telling goes a lot farther and gets way more respect from audiences than CGI. Yet studios continue to use high octane CGI trailers to get people into the theaters despite the fact negative word of mouth can nullify the gains of said trailer in a matter of days.

4. Panchyprsss

The problem with WB/DCEU has been that they were just trying to make a fast buck at the expense of what you just mentioned. They wanted 'Avengers' like revenue without first building the anticipation Marvel created with its first few origins films. They sacrificed storytelling and quality direction in order to rush their films to theaters. Audiences barely knew Henry Cavill's Superman to really care if he died in his second film...much less to care if he was being resurrected. BvS:DOJ was such a letdown that it prevented many from going back for Justice League.

5. Panchyprsss

Black Panther dominates again the domestic box office for the third weekend in a row adding $65.7 million to its coffers to push its domestic total to $501.1 million in just 17 days. The third fastest film to reach that mark. At this pace we can predict it can finish its domestic run with $600+ million. It also gained $56 million internationally to elevate its worldwide total to $897.7 million. Reaching $1 billion should not be hard in the next few weeks.

The film finally opened this weekend in Japan and sadly it couldn't break the race barrier: it debuted with a lame $2.4 million ($4.2 million in total counting previews).

6. r o o s t e r

r o o s t e r "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I knock motherfuckers out
    have heard really bad things about the movie. opens in china soon so will go to see it - but is it actually any good?

7. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

I've watched it twice. It's very good. What bad things have you heard?

Only problem I can see anyone having with the film is that there are too few white people on the cast. lol

8. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    That's Panchy's complaint

9. Panchyprsss

It is very good, but if you are reading your local (China) reviews, that was expected.

THE FILM WAS TOO DARK !!

10. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Chinesers hate Blacks, right?

11. Destruction and Mayhem

Everyone hates blacks. Lol

12. Panchyprsss

I don't think they hate blacks. They simply are not interested in black films. Is a cultural thing.

13. r o o s t e r

two people i know (one white one brown) said it was just hard to sit through

14. r o o s t e r

this is what i'm expecting:

World of Reel: "Black Panther" doesn't live up to the hype

"The film doesn't remotely come close to the tense and, yes, cinematic level of, say "The Winter Soldier," a film which drastically changed the mold for Marvel as first and foremost a film inspired by the '70s political thriller or even "Logan," a movie that tried to distance itself from the banal, predictable narrative structure of the superhero genre by infusing Western-like sensibilities and -- shock --adult-oriented moral dilemmas. Of course, cliches and predictability are hallmarks for most Marvel/DC movies, but one tends to check his or her brain at the door and does go along for the ride, hoping that some kind of satisfying experience will arise from the eye candy on screen.

"The problem with "Black Panther" is that there simply isn't all that much excitement to go around. Almost everything you expect to happen happens. There isn't anything memorable, no moment that sends your pulse pounding, your spine tingling. This is a straightforward telling of a story that on paper should not be straightforward at all or, at the very least, safe. Coogler's source material was Ta-Nehisi Coates' more recent "Black Panther" comics and to say they have been watered-down for mass entertainment would be an understatement.

"I saw "Black Panther" last Wednesday, and by then the reviews had all turned out to be raves. Its 97% Rotten Tomatoes score is indeed quite impressive, but I am here to tell you that film criticism as we know it is just not the same anymore. Critics these days try to speak as one, instead of as individual voices. If a single critic ends up being out of step with the majority, then watch out. I will be accused of not supporting the "cause" of "Black Panther" by writing this mixed review, but that's far from the truth. I am just trying to state an opinion which might be unpopular but is the essence of what a film critic is supposed to do: Be as critically honest as possible."

15. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    It feels like you are looking for a reason to not watch it

16. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

This is exactly the reason you shouldnt go and watch it and exactly the reason I didn´t.

Scores of such ridiculously high ratings on sites like Rotten Tomates send me ´spidey-sense´ into freakin overdrive.

So, I wait.
    Then I wait some more.
    Then I read some proper, honest reviews like the one rooster posted.

Then I watch it for free on streaming Internet site, and I realize I´m correct yet again.

The reason this movie is so popular is a) the race-angle and b) dumb-fucks believing what they read on the Internet that this is a ´much-watch´ movie.

What dogshit.

17. Destruction and Mayhem

Have you watched it?

18. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Sly, I don´t need to.
    I know what the fuck the score is with this.

I purposely stayed away from Black Panther for exactly the reasons I´ve posted.
    And reading that above post proves my point and decision.

I havent said the movie is dogshit - only the reasons for the unjustified hype and hilarious bandwagoning thats gone on with this movie.
    You really think a B-grade Marvel Comics character like Black Panther that hardly any fucktard knew about is going to pull out all the stops and become the greatest of these type of movies?
    Fuck no.

Its all about race.

19. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I dont jump on bandwagons with movies. And Im usually against Liberal Hollywood drooling. But this movie was very good. And it wasnt black panther that made it good. It was the villain, Michael B. Jordan's character. That and Andy Serkis and Winston Duke.

20. Anthony

Motherfucker
    This movie didnt have much action, that is true. But it was character driven. That is why it was different. The acting actually made this movie. but the little action there was, was pretty damn great. What is great about this movie is that you actually come away feeling you have a deep understanding of life in Wakanda. The traditions, the people, the clothing, heritage. But it also shows, how important wakanda is and will be to the marvel universe. There was some deep family emotions in this movie too.

21. Destruction and Mayhem

If you haven’t watched the film you’re in no position to say anything about it, good or bad

22. Panchyprsss

Just think of it as the Lion King with superhero costumes and gadgets. It is entertaining, but it is not the best MCU movie ever as the hype puts it. But is top three and that is good enough.

23. Anthony

Motherfucker
    To be in the top 3 means that it's not out of the conversation with being the best. It's arguably the best. At minimum top 3. That is still amazing.

24. salaco

salaco Undisputed Champion

Watched it, decent enough, on a level with wonder woman and deadpool, just about above average

25. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Deadpool? lol

26. salaco

salaco Undisputed Champion

I'm not a big superhero move fan, it was just above OK, fine to kill two hours on a long distance flight

27. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

I can totally asure you, young man, given your utterly shit taste and laughably limited experience of movies....I´m in prime fucking position to say everything and know everything about this movie.

As you were, Bourneville.

28. r o o s t e r

nah i'm definitely gonna watch it, & i hope it's good. i was just pissed off about how underwhelming wonder woman was, considering all the rave reviews, & expecting same thing here. - hopefully i'm wrong

cdogg187 likes this.
  29. Panchyprsss

Koreans reactions to 'Black Panther'.

30. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Man that sucks. I couldn’t watch it the first weekend here in Japan due to other plans and the missus was just asking me would it still be there next week and I told her of course because it’s been killing. So much for that theory.