Boxing SuperFights: R.I.P.

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Mean Mr Mustard, May 14, 2007.

1. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

So what're you guys saying?

that UFC is taking over? Sod that!

Boxing is the past the present and the future. There'll be more stars and megafights, believe the I.

2. jarhead

jarhead Undisputed Champion

Operations Manager
    I love boxing. My son is just starting. But if something isn't done about the promoters and abc bodies, it will lose more and more fanbase to MMA. They have one organization that forces the best fighters to face the best fighters. We have Bob Arum and DLH playing politics and finger pointing games. Their ppv's are stacked with great fights. Ours aren't. We have to change, if we don't its our own fault.:nono:

3. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

word.

Perhaps the powers that be in boxing should recognize this and get rid of the WBU,IBO and the rest of that foolishness...unite under one banner and force people to fight the mandatories.

We must UNITE and Conquer the threat of the UFC!!!

4. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Boxing fans don't automatically convert to MMA, dummy.:lol: Alot of them just pick and choose alot more wisely, and if an anticipated match comes around, interest reignites as always. Do you honestly think that kids are just going to plunk down $39.95 every 4 weeks for a UFC ppv? Hell, most americans can barely even afford to pay their monthly cable bills. There are 15-16 UFC ppvs per year, and the price recently was jacked up to $39.95 just in order to pay their star fighters. As always and as PPV buyrates have proven, people pick and choose wisely when to throw down $40 for a ppv, be it boxing or mma. One won't take over the other, both will co-exist just like pro wrestling which is booming and recently recorded a ppv record for Wrestlemania. There is an audience for every sport, don't let every little dipsh*t with a mouth and pen tell you otherwise.

5. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Fair enough, especially about the KO stuff.

I just have a hard time with people who expected more out of Mayweather, and the fight, but keep giving dlh a free pass. Floyd did exactly what a lot of us expected...win and win clearly. Delahoya did what a lot of us expected, too, lose but put forth a solid, but insufficient, effort.

I don't buy this draw stuff. Of course, I've seen people argue that dlh should have been ahead of quartey going into the 12th or that holy beat lewis in the rematch so it's not like it's surprising, just sad.

6. jarhead

Operations Manager

good post Hanzy. but while there is room for both, UFC is definitely taking the larger market share right now. Boxing has way too many special interest groups only interested in their own selfish goals. UFC is a consolidated machine.

Boxing isn't dead, but its hurting. Boxing always thrives when a dominant HW champ is in, and we are so far from that its laughable.

7. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Which is exactly why boxing fans who hate on UFC are misguided. UFC isn't boxing's enemy. Boxing is boxing's enemy.

TFK

8. jarhead

Operations Manager
    absolutely. I enjoy mma, I love boxing. but as I have watched the rise of UFC it truly disheartens me that boxing is so corrupt and fucked up organizationally.

not too mention when I see articles right here on the homepage trying to convince boxing fans that 500 titles in 100 weight classes is a good thing.:nono:

9. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

I actually see MMA as a good thing for boxing fans..

Maybe the competition will force decent fights to be made in order for Champions to make significant paydays... Wouldn't that be nice?

10. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    I enjoy watching boxing more, but I enjoy how the UFC is organized. I like both and I don't really compare the two. They are two different sports which both involve violence.

11. Hanzy

You talk about the UFC like it's a sport. It's just a little mma organization in North America. There are hundreds of them throughout the world, just so happens the UFC is the most well known. I don't have much of an opinion on any of those minor league or bush league circuits out there marketing retired old men in their main events like Abbott, Frye, and Kimo. Every promoter out there, be it in boxing or in MMA is out to make money. Why do you think another crappy little MMA league called Cage Fury is marketing a street bum-fighter in Kimbo against a grandfather washed up former boxer Ray Mercer? That shows you how legitimate alot of these mma organizations are. They're just doing the same old sh*t as boxing. Using whatever tactics to sell tickets. And it works.
    Kimbo vs Mercer is a side show, not a legit fight in a serious MMA organization. A damn street fighter in Kimbo whose fighting credentials make Butterbean's seem like Muhammad Ali in comparison. And yet this guy is being promoted as a main event on a major ppv?
    MMA is marketed towards that simple minded dumbass demographic, the beer-chugging, bar-hopping, sideways cap-wearing, daddy's car-driving fruitcakes who think they can submit somebody on the street cause they saw it on Spike tv.:rolleyes:
    That's the audience alot of these mma organizations are geared towards, and the Cage Fury ppv is proving this.
    Before soon, you'll have Bob Sapp vs Kimbo as a main event on some crap mma card like Cage Rage or whatever.

12. Rubio MHS

Rubio MHS Undisputed Champion

Now that the UFC has bought out PRIDE, it is the prime promoter in the world.

13. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    Hanz knows nothing. All he does is cry about the UFC, yet he watches every show.

14. Hanzy

:clap: Yes I do....

15. Hanzy

Rumour has it the UFC's purchase of Pride is NOT a done deal. Looks like they've run into some problems. Dirty laundry coming out! The next few weeks will be interesting. Nobody knew until now that Pride was almost or possibly ENTIRELY run by dirty money. It's possible Pride may be completely dead and Dana White and the Fertittas will not go through with the deal afterall.:dunno:

16. Rubio MHS

Rubio MHS Undisputed Champion

:lol: :lol:

People say that about every big Japanese company. The rumors have been around for years and years.

17. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Blind faith. :nono:

18. Hanzy

The boxing audience isn't any smaller or any larger than it was when the UFC was still underground and banned from ppv throughout the later part of the 90s. So don't get all upset that boxing's audience is getting nabbed by the UFC. Boxing is the same as it was. As a matter of fact, boxing was more successful in the past year than it's been in some years. Which goes to show that if you market it right, they will come.