Cotto-Mosley possibly November 10th; Mayweather-Hatton December 1st

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Mitchell Kane, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Double L

Double L Book Reader

huh? who's the other two? Cintron? Clottey?

and who's going to fight Williams, Cotto or Mosley?

2. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

The BEST is Mayweather, this much is pretty indisputable. The rest are fighting for second place until they fight Floyd.

3. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

WHAT? I like Cotto you bastard! I just think Mosley is better than Cotto. I never talked bad about Cotto. Tito, yes, Cotto, no. :lol:

4. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Exactly? Who the fuck are you?

5. Double L

Double L Book Reader

oh yeah. i forgot. PBF is the only one with that win over Baldomir. well, he and Forrest. and some other guys.....but PBF has the only win over Judah, doesn't he? oh wait, Baldomir, Tszyu and Spinks beat him first too. wait? PBF has that sparkling win over Gatti. that certainly qualifies him as the best welter-weight, does it not? :laughing: Oh wait. Angle Manfredy and Mickey Ward beat him to it. :laughing:

so basically, what we're looking at, since PBF moved up from 135, is a disputed points stink-job over ODH, in which he didn't come close to performing like he promised he would. in fact, a lot of people feel that he lost.

but he's the best welter-weight in the world. yeah. okay. whatever you say.

6. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:

I always kind of chuckle when some people say "Lots of people think so and so lost", when the majority of people thought Floyd won. Floyd has beaten everyone put in front of him and has fought a lot of good competition. If people can't see that, they are following the wrong sport.

7. Double L

Double L Book Reader

yeah but there "ARE" fights, most of them in fact, in which the public is unanimous as to who won. PBF/ODH isn't one of them. if you want to pretend that that's meaningless, I think it's irresponsible.

if all that mattered were the result then we wouldn't bother watching the fight, and we'd simply tune in for the judge's decision.

and, we wouldn't have people constantly denegrating and down-playing the significance of the close wins that fighters like ODH, Mosley and Trinidad have had in their careers.

8. Double L

Double L Book Reader

i don't think there ARE a lot of people who would deny this. what they would deny is that in the last five years PBF has done anything to deserve his supposedly indisputable status as the world's best fighter P4P.

9. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Hatton IMO has a better chance of beating Floyd than Cotto does, even though overall Cotto is better than Hatton.

10. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    It is completely and utterly meaningless in PBF-ODLH. ODLH did not win, nor did he deserve the win. Some people not being able to score a fight don't change what I watched. A clear Mayweather win.

11. CleanYourClock

CleanYourClock "Twinkle Toes" McJack

No way. Hatton is smaller , doesn't hit as hard and has a shittier defense.

12. CleanYourClock

Not to mention his two biggest wins are over B-class fighters in Castillo and Corrales.

13. Double L

Double L Book Reader

people think that Hatton is the tougher fight because he swarms and grapples illegally and has faster feet than Cotto.

but he's shorter, not as big and doesn't hit as hard.

the thing about Cotto that makes him more dangerous imo is that he's fully willing to trade. he will gladly punch with PBF and that's what you need to do against PBF. Hatton will not do that. he's strictly a pot-shotting grappler, and will not trade. which means he'll be countered, and most of his shots will be blocked. his only chance is to wear PBF down through illegal holding, but it remains to be seen if he's strong enough to do that and has enough endurance.

also, he seems very susceptible to cuts which is the one way PBF can stop opponents.

14. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

The size difference between Cotto and Hatton is so tiny that it's an irrelevant point.

Hatton doesn't hit as hard but he throws more, his defense is his offense (and illegal tactics) and he had a sturdier chin from the looks of it.

I'm more nervous for Floyd against Hatton than I would be if he were to face Cotto

15. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

I DOUBT Hatton is shorter than Cotto. Let me check it out.....

16. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

Ok Cotto is listed at 5'7" and Hatton at 5'6", but 1 inch is very little.

17. CleanYourClock

No its not . Cotto is clearly a larger person.

If you could see things as they are , you would be more scared for PBF against Cotto.
    Hatton is simply a grunt waiting to be outboxed. Cotto hurts people and has a better deffense.
    As far as chins , IMO at 140 Cotto was very very dehydrated. That contributed to his chin.

18. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Cotto is listed as being a little taller (1 inch) and a little rangier (2 inches in reach) on Hatton. You can never be sure when it comes to measurements, but they seem very close in height and arm length.

I see both sides of the arguments in who's a tougher matchup. Hatton's less methodical than Cotto, and his pressure is more similar to someone like Castillo or even Jesus Chavez than someone like Corrales, who's pressure is more methodical, like Cotto. But Cotto jabs more than Chico and his peek-a-boo defense and activity are also superior to Chico's.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if it ever takes place, but I think that besides Williams, Cotto is the toughest matchup for Mayweather.

19. Double L

Double L Book Reader

2" advantage in reach.

20. CleanYourClock

Bro , the shoulder width and back , arms everything. Cotto would always be able to fill out to be a larger person.

You comparing Hatton to Cotto , is like comparing Vargas to Mayweather at 154.

If they fought at 154 during the same years , they would both be at the weight but everyone knows Vargas is just the larger person.

This comparison isn't that good but Mayweather standing next to Vargas would look Similar to Hatton standing next to Cotto

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  21. CleanYourClock

I agree.

22. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

yup....

23. KaukipRrr

KaukipRrr "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Although Cotto might hit harder than Hatton and is clearly the bigger fighter, I don't think Cotto has the speed to chase the bitch down, whereas Hatton springs around like a kangaroo and subsequently will FLY in and smother Fraud, then while in close, BOTH fighters will be indulging in a ghastly static-ball of illegal tactics.

Cotto would merely plod after him doing that strange little ortho to southpaw dance,..giving Fraud time and space to pot, run, twist, duck and clinch his way to another pay cheque, calling himself greater than Ray Robinson in the process, it would be an underwelming, frustrating matchup where we would all say, SHIT, that Fraud bitch managed to rob us all again, we really need someone who'll jump on him and hold him in place and rough him up and smash his spine and balls the way we expect Hatton might.

24. Explosivo

Explosivo Undisputed Champion

let me first say that I love both guys.

As far as my opinion on this match being made. :cheer: :cheer:

As for my prediction.........

I still think Shane is young enough to take care of anyone at welterweight,..unless Vernon moves down to fight him again.:lol:

Shane is too fast, too experienced and just as big as Cotto.

Mosley UD Cotto.

25. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Just to add, if Mayweather and Cotto both win their next fights, and there begins serious talk about matching the 2 guys up, I fully expect De La Hoya to screw up negotiations and say he wants to fight one of the two (probably Cotto).

26. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Of course it'd be Cotto. They'd fight on Cinco De Mayo :rolleyes: . Gotta hand it to that Oscar, he's always looking for the best possible matchup..................Financially.

27. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

He's also faster, wont give Floyd as much time to work, and meaner. And I disagree that he has a shittier defense. Hatton actually gets hit LESS than Cotto, even though neither one are defensive geniuses. Hatton has a better chance of beating Floyd. If power was all it took to beat Floyd, than Corrales would have beaten him years ago. But thats not the case.

On the other hand, if Hatton & Cotto were to ever fight, I'd pick Cotto to stop Ricky.

28. LATIN KING

LATIN KING Undisputed Champion

I disagree. IT would seem like Hatton has a better chance based on styles. But I look at more than that.

I think after a couple of rounds of frustration Hatton won't do shit to Floyd. Simply because he has no plan B.

I think Cotto is more proven in that aspect. I think he is just alot smarter than Hatton. What I like about Cotto is how patient he is.

Beating Floyd will take some patience. Not just bum rushing him and trying to pressure him at will. Other fighters have tried that only to get countered to death like Jesus Chavez.

I think Cotto has a better chance at beating Floyd late in a fight after putting in alot of body attack.

I think Hatton will get frustrated easy because of how much better Floyd is and because Hatton won't be able to make any adjustments.

29. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

I disagree. Much like how Duran roughed up SRL with not only pressure, but quick movement and rough house tactics, Hatton needs those same aspects to win. Cotto can't beat Floyd for one simple reason, he's just too damn slow of foot, and that alone will give Floyd options on if he wants to trade with Cotto for half the fight and start running later if his body begins to ache. Hatton will be all over Floyd, clinching, roughing him up, and fouling at every turn. He also has the foot speed to consistently stay on top of Floyd and create more effective pressure than I feel Cotto could. Defensively I think Hatton and Cotto are almost equal.

30. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Hatton will get cut and swollen by floyd's punches. Cotto has a better chance because of his consistent jab and body attack.