De la Hoya-Mayweather over 2 million buys!!!

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Fighter, May 9, 2007.

1. Neil

Neil tueur de grenouilles

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism

Well I told anyone who asked me about the fight that floyd would win easily, it would not be an action fight, DeLaHoya would not land many clean shots, and DeLaHoya would not be able to land any hard hooks. It was more competitive than I expected and slightly more entertaining (for those who enjoy seeing a guy miss wild arm punches).

I doubt HBO spent 20 million dollars to market this bout either. I really dont care if casual fans were expecting some sort of slugfest because they heard what floyd was saying. To me the game of boxing is dying anyhow and Im not at all upset that these folks were left disappointed.

Mayweather is not going to be exciting above 140lbs unless he is facing a guy who has below average punch resistence. He is still hard to beat but to win against solid fighters at welterweight or above he needs to fight cautiously.

It is a shame Cotto (Arum) and Hatton didnt have the balls to face him at junior welter because those were the fights that would have been exciting and meaningful.

2. Father of Muzse

Father of Muzse Undisputed Champion

The next time you cite the popularity you think Mayweather has, I hope you remember your own words.

Mayweather's words might have helped sell the fight, but his fight game was a leading factor in the disappointment which came out of it.

I also find it hilarious that Floyd ridiculed and downgraded Oscar for beating faded guys like Camacho, Whitaker and Chavez while completely forgetting that Oscar's a year older now than Witaker and Chavez were when he faced them.

Both guys are hypocrites and assholes.

We know you love Oscar De La Pattycake, Neil...fess up.

3. Neil

Apparently you dont need to be exciting in the ring to become popular. Trinidad sure as shit wasnt exciting against DeLaHoya, he was inept! Yet that was the fight that launched him into becoming a PPV attraction. Same goes for Hopkins, his fight with DeLaHoya sucked for the most part as well.

Mayweather didnt put on an exciting slugfest but i guarantee that whole fiasco boosted his stock and he will sell more PPVs in his next bout (against whoever) than he did against Baldomir, Judah or Gatti. I was hoping Floyd could put on a better show, but lets face it the guy is not a welterweight.

4. Father of Muzse

Trinidad knocked people out before and after he fought Oscar. How is that boring?

Hopkins isn't "popular"by any means.

PPV's are pretty much flat. They all come in around the same number which is why DLH-Mayorga doing just under 1 million buys was such a shock.

What are you talking about?

5. Neil

Trinidad and Hopkins both became credible pay per view fighters after facing DeLahoya in fights that failed to measure up to the numbers Mayweather's fight with DeLaHoya did.

Mayweather was already a credible pay per view fighter prior to facing DeLaHoya, so this fight will boost his stock. Watch and see.

6. Father of Muzse

We will see...

"Like I said before"

How Mayweather talked vs how he fought didn't match. Truth be told, it was a borderline bitch move.

In the end, I guess it worked out well. Oscar lost so we're left to listen to him bitch once again. His legacy will clearly show he couldn't win a big fight and Floyd's ego has been elevated to such a point that when he gets his ass whupped, it'll mentally fracture him.

It'll all work out in the end. :bears:

BTW...since you're so down on boxing...am I to guess that when Floyd exits stage left, you'll carry his cape?

7. Neil

Mayweather will retire unbeaten. Who is out there to beat him?

Is Mosley's tooth still aching or will his korean jefita actually let him take the fight if it is offered to him again?

8. Father of Muzse

Get real Neil...you know what Mosley didn't take the fight. Mayweather will only retire unbeaten if he retires tonight.

Good grief.

BTW...you must admit...the shit talking at the press conferences between Mosley and Mayweather would be hilarious!!!!

Mind you...when I say "Mosley" I mean Jin Mosley, not Shane. :laughing:

"However"

Jin might need to watch herself...based on Floyd's history...he might get angry and backhand her (not that I'd mind)

9. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

Jin Mosley's quite sexy! Shane did well.

After the fight, and Floyd's total ownership of Shane, Jin's going to be Floyd's mistress.

10. Double L

Double L Book Reader

:lol::lol::lol::laughing::laughing:

11. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

TRUE...

12. royyjonesjrp4pno1

royyjonesjrp4pno1 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

UFC numbers will be down when Chuck goes. He is by far the most entertaining fighter and biggest star.

13. royyjonesjrp4pno1

royyjonesjrp4pno1 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

What do you expect Floyd to say. Im gonna stick and move all night. Thats really gonna get people excited.:rolleyes: