Delahoya/Trinidad II or Delahoya/Mayweather II

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Hex-One, May 8, 2007.

?

Which fight will generate more money and interest?

1. Tito/Delahoya II

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. Mayweather/Delahoya II

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. Hex-One

Hex-One "Twinkle Toes" McJack

None of your business
    NEWS FLASH
    Tito open to Oscar rematch!
    Puerto Rican superstar Felix Trinidad says he's content in retirement, but would be willing to grant a rematch to Oscar De La Hoya. "De La Hoya knows I can't go any lower than 160 pounds," Tito told Primera Hora. "That would be sacrificing too much and I can't do it. But I am going to tell the truth, it is something that is latent. It is still there. Everything depends on Oscar, that he accepts the weight that I've always told him at 160 and the conditions." Trinidad also stated that if he returns to boxing, it would be with his father and the promoter would be Don King, not Golden Boy Promotions.
    Tuesday, May 8 2007

2. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

I have so little interest in the latter that I don't even care to know how to spell it.

All I'm interested in is what you agreed with:

"Yeah , it does take 2 to have a mega fight ...." - CYC

Case dismissed. :cool:

3. Father of Muzse

Father of Muzse Undisputed Champion

There's a huge difference between Ali, Hamed and Mayweather.

Ali went over the line at times (calling Frazier a gorilla) but for the most part, it was a schtick.

Hamed and Ali's barbs were more comical and playful whereas Floyd's comments and behavior didn't come across as such.

Plus, Ali and Hamed (while he was an active fighter) were widely perceived to be decents guys outside the ring. Therefore, their personnas weren't taken as seriously.

Floyd's ranting and shit talk represents the ugly side of his personality. As much as Neil loves Floyd, even he'd agree that the clowns Floyd hangs around have a negative influence on him.

Lastly, when you come off as Floyd does, 9 times out of 10 the REASON that personna works for you is due to your knocking people out...like Hamed. (also see Tyson and early George Foreman).

To talk that much shit to then fight a non-combative fight for 7 or 8 rounds, makes you look more like a jackass than not.

I've always hated Ray Leonard and the bullshit "nice guy" personna he had, but the difference is, when Ray was in the ring...he was one of the most ruthless guys who ever fought.

Ray's mean streak played out in the ring as much as out of the ring. Floyd's shows up mostly out of the ring, which makes him come across as somewhat of a phony.

Speaking of which, I like how Jeff Mayweather basically said that Floyd's claims of not having a supportive family was B.S. Jeff said that Floyd never had to work, never had a summer job and never had to worry about anything. Anything he needed, his dad gave to him or another member of the family. The only thing Floyd needed to concentrate on is fighting.

I hope Phony Floyd Mayweather REEDtires to run Philthy Rich Records. :lol:

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  4. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

Ali was HATED in the 60s, even by most blacks, yet he still was the biggest draw in boxing. Sure...we can say now that he was tongue in cheek...but MY POINT IS...that being hated sells fights. Period. End of Story. No point in trying to argue this point.

I agree with you that Floyd isn't always exciting...but he isn't always unexciting either.

How quickly we forget his fights with Burton, Chavez, Ndou, Castillo 1, and his agreesion displayed against Gattilo, Corrales (RIP), Mitchell and Judah.

Muze you know better than some of these idiot Floyd haters...you know that his "boring" fights are not the majority.

You're better than this.

5. The Cuban Hawk

The Cuban Hawk WBC Champion

Home Page:
    The right answer. It should be added as a poll option.

6. CleanYourClock

CleanYourClock "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Yes it does but , one of the fighters can draw on their own while the other can't ...
    I'll let you sit back awhile and think about that ....

7. Father of Muzse

Father of Muzse Undisputed Champion

The point is, his "biggest" fights were boring fights...case in point the fight last weekend.

When you're expecting possibly the largest group of people to EVER watch a boxing match and you've talked THAT much shit to turn around and fight a non-combative fight...

How does that translate into bringing in new fans let alone wanting people to see you fight again? :dunno:

That's the big picture stuff you're missing.

The average fight fan doesn't know anything about Mayweather's past transgressions, but they HAVE seen him talk mucho shit. For Floyd to followup his shit talk by fighting like he did, it doesn't do him any good.

Again, that's the big picture stuff you're missing. Most who saw or wrote about the fight don't disagree that Floyd won the fight. Most also don't care about seeing him again either...especially casual fans.

A night like last Saturday needed a Pac-Morales III type ending to raise the awareness of boxing. What we got is a guy talking like Tyson, but fighting like Willie Pep. Even when Tyson became "the bad guy" people wanted to see him because they wanted to see someone get KTFO...and they usually got it.

None of this should be news to you. You're a huge Lemmon Lewis fan. You know the rules. Lemmon was boring inside the ring for the most part which is why it took so long for him to gain acceptance. That's why Tyson and Holyfield surpassed him in popularity because they provided better fights.

Lastly, Floyd has been in some entertaining fights but let's look at how long ago those were...

Burton was in what...2000 or 2001?

Castillo...2002 both times? (i'll also point out that Floyd was on his bike and running throughout most of the early rounds of both fights. IN fact, the rematch, he REALLY showed his bitch card because he all but refused to engage Castillo through the first four or five rounds).

N'Dou...2003?

Corrales....2001?

Shame on you for mentioning Mitchell and Judah...neither of those were particularly exciting. The Judah fight is remembered more for the lowblow and ensuing fight than anything else.

Floyd needed a performance like the Corrales fight or the Gatti beatdown based on the shit he talked in order to draw in the casual fan.

8. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    De La Hoya-Vargas was an excellent fight, the most exciting of De La Hoya's big fights....I'd be very pleased if Trinidad-De La Hoya II were on that level.

I would say it could be dull like the first fight, but I doubt Oscar has the legs to move as much as he did in 1999, so who knows really, maybe there would be more trading.

9. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

Fair enough. I see your point. It's a good one. :cool:

10. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    People are always going to watch Trinidad, but I think his days of being an A-list money earner are gone.

If the fight is made right now, riding on the hype they've already created, Oscar v Mayweather II would be very hard to trump.

11. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Trinidad should stay retire....

12. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Not interested in a rematch with Tito. I rarely ever care about guys coming back for one "mega fight". Hard to be interested when they are only fighting for money.

It would be a different story if Tito retired undefeated or something and Oscar had just defeated Mayweather.

Add to that we've already seen these two in the ring and it was one of the most dissapointing "super-fights" in history.

13. Pascals Wager

Pascals Wager Undisputed Champion

I'd take DLH-Tito. There would be more of a chance of a fight breaking out.

14. LATIN KING

LATIN KING Undisputed Champion

so Tito still wants more money than he deserves, wants the fight at 160, wants Don King to promote everything, This when he hasn't looked good in years and Oscar is about to net 40 million :lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah I'm sure Oscar will agree to all of that just because.:laughing:

15. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    IF tito comes back with his father, then his dumbass deserves to get beat.

16. jaws1216

jaws1216 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    :lol: :laughing: :laughing: :lol: at the idea that Ali is being defended for smacktalking and Floyd gets bashed.

Thats the stupidest idea the human brain can think

17. Victory

Victory Leap-Amateur

Home Page:
    Both fights are pointless imo.

DLH vs Trinidad II should have happened years ago. It's too late for that now. DLH vs Mayweather II wouldn't offer anything different. By the time they do fight again (which I doubt), Oscar would've gotten even older (stick a fork in him) and Floyd would've fought the same kind of fight he did last weekend.