Dune (2020) finished principal photography

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Jan 22, 2020.

1. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

No but you’re boring because you’re slow. Why compare what is considered by many to be one of the greatest films of all time to a shit turd of a film that nobody liked? So I’m not even going to entertain your question. Also, IMO the only time people say they like shit boring films like this is when they try to look clever, like they have some keen artsy eye that the average person doesn’t. Not saying you’re doing that here but it’s just such a horrible film that I’m shocked to see anyone actually enjoyed it.

2. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

True story: when the movie was released in theaters I went with two friends to watch it in an almost empty movie theater. We liked the movie, the three of us. I bought the movie film companion book which I still keep. Bought the vhs version, the dvd version and also the bluray version. I like that film like A LOT. The Godfather bored me the first time I watched at movie theater. It took 10 years before I gave it a second look. Recently showed it to my daughters and they fell asleep within 40 minutes. LOL

lb 4 lb likes this.
  3. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    Fine if you don't like it. I already stated it is somewhat overrated. I liked it on one viewing. That doesn't mean I have to want to watch it again and again.

4. Panchyprsss

First trailer

5. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Excellent cast, visuals look great - and as a Dune fan, I will obviously watch it....objectively!

(it´s first of 2-parts)

6. Joe King

Player
    Is it? I hadn't heard that before.

7. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Read somewhere it was supposed to be two, 21/2-hr movies - if not, I can't see how they'll stay faithful to the novel.

8. Panchyprsss

I have seen some people's reactions about this trailer on yotube and I can't understand why they got so excited about. I mean there is nothing mind blowing about the scenes shown in the trailer and if you are familiar with the prior versions you'll recognize immediately what was going on in most scenes.

9. Panchyprsss

Second trailer looks better.

10. lb 4 lb

I think I’m actually going to skip watching Dune based off some of the reviews I’ve read. I hear story wise it’s about as slow, average and confusing as the 80’s version and the only positive I keep reading over and over is how visually stunning it is and that I need to see it in the theater to get the full effect. So if visuals are all this film has to offer I can just stay home and maybe watch it when it comes to streaming. Maybe.

11. Panchyprsss

Maybe you got bitten by the chant of the woke crowd of 'the bad thing about this film is the white savior routine'? It will be released on HBO Max pretty soon anyway.

12. lb 4 lb

No, group-think outrage is your thing not mine. The film just sounds like it checks a lot of the boxes for things that I feel make a bad movie.

13. Joe King

Player
    Remake part 1 wasn't too bad. Slow methodical pace like the original but the visuals are really good.

14. lb 4 lb

Fuck great visuals, I want story and dialogue. I’m not going to sit through a boring-ass story just to see some great visuals. If anything maybe I’ll just fast forward through all the fluff and watch the important stuff I keep hearing this film hang’s it’s hat on, pretty visuals.

15. lb 4 lb

Okay I finally watched Dune and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of Foundation a bit which I also enjoyed immensely. Dune isn’t nearly as rewatchable in the way Star Wars was but that’s because Dune is a much more serious drama themed sci-fi, even more-so than Star Trek. I’m definitely going to watch the second part. 8/10.

16. Panchyprsss

I am amazed you watched it in the first place. I haven't watched it yet, but I will...someday...

17. lb 4 lb

Yeah I saw a clip of a scene that got me interested so I checked it out. Sorry you let wokeness come between you and a movie you seemed pretty excited about. The woke stuff is barely noticeable if at all.

18. Panchyprsss

Finally watched it and no, I didn't missed it because of the wokeness group think baloney, but merely for a lack of access to HBO Max, which now I have temporarily. It was pretty much scene by scene the same as the David Lynch version but with even slower pace, therefore the original could tell the whole story in three hours while this one took two and a half hours to tell just half the story. That said, I liked it. It was well made and is as good as the original. However we never got to see the Guild Navigators which in the original are shown in the very first sequence at the Emperor's palace. The Atreides space travel to Arrakis was 'if you blink you will miss it' so this was kind of disappointing. Still a solid 8/10.

lb 4 lb likes this.
  19. lb 4 lb

Man I’m surprised to hear it’s so similar to the original. If it wasn’t so old I might have actually gone back and rewatched it.

20. Panchyprsss

Do it since there will be no part 2 to the new one as it didn't made enough money to warrant a sequel. At least the first movie finished the first book story.

21. lb 4 lb

Really? When did they decide that?

22. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

He found it up his arse.

23. lb 4 lb

Apparently The Genius was right about that. Dune 2 is getting made not only with the same actors reprising their roles but a few new stars joining as well including Christopher Walken. It’s slated to be released 3 Nov 2023.

24. Joe King

Player
    I think they shot both movies at the same time. Was always going to be a two parter.

25. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

Bloated, self indulgent and sloooooow.

It looks great. The long runtime means we see the Atreides home world, get to see the world or Arrakis fleshed out more and more general world building and I guess that’s a good thing.

Why is it so listless and shite then? The original film was laughable but there’s things that stick in your head.

The grossness of the Harkonnens, boil covered and fitted with heart plugs are replaced with the warboys from Fury Road and a huge pale fatarse. The striking look of the lead religious woman from the first is replaced with generic old woman. Where were the twisted and deformed navigators in their tanks filled with spice?

It’s not all bad. The shield’s obviously look far better. The cgi is quite well done and not overpowering. The sardukars are given a distinct look and personality. Oscar Isaac was very good as Leto, so much so that I wanted to see more of him than Paul.

Paul might be the biggest issue. I’ve never seen this guy in anything and I didn’t care for his acting. The creepy box of pain scene from the first movie has the new guy crossing his eyes as if straining with a particularly difficult turd. I’ll give him a pass as he was meant to be playing a young fish out of water character but he’ll need to pick it up when he has to do the messiah stuff later on.

Underwhelming. Maybe I will look far more kindly on this once the full story is completed. At least I didn’t have to see Sting stare at his uncle like a sex offender on speed while wearing a green Speedo.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  26. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

One other thing that was really strange. They make a huge deal out of how hot isn’t is but you never feel that in the movie. No one is sweating, barely even dirty. They should have done much more with that but I guess it was stylistic touch.