Fights You Watched Today

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Dec 24, 2020.

1. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Duran-Leonard I?

Jel and Xplosive like this.
  2. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Doesn't seem to be a lot of Johnny Nelson fights mentioned in this thread.

Jel likes this.
  3. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I would say this is the answer.

Plus, it was a more violent fight than Jofre-Harada 1.

4. Jel

Jel WBC Champion

You bastards. Now I’m going to have watch Duran-Leonard 1 again. FML.

George Crowcroft and Xplosive like this.
  5. George Crowcroft

Mayweather-Maidana I; this is the blue print to beat Mayweather. Sustained unorthodox pressure. Hatton, Cotto, Chavez, and obviously Castillo all had varying degrees of success and they were all down to pressure. Gluing themselves to Floyd's sides and throwing as much as they could. Maidana did great in the early goings, way better than I'd ever remembered. The body work and bullishness was exactly what it took, and that overhand just sailed in over the shoulder. I actually think Maidana's less than brilliant ring IQ worked in his favour here. Most fighters don't rush in due to having the sense of knowing they weren't in position to land effectively. Maidana either wasn't clever enough to get that impression, or just didn't give a fuck :Jest:

6. Double L

Double L Book Reader

watched boudani vs. jones II. robbery, in my opinion, same as the first fight.

7. Double L

Double L Book Reader

watched lockridge vs. bou ali. dominant performance by lockridge. check out the savage knockdown at the end of round 5. lockridge was a devastating puncher.

8. Double L

Double L Book Reader

also watched simon brown vs. jorge vaca. virtuoso performance by brown.

9. Xplosive

One of my favorite beatdowns. I've watched it many times.

I rewatched Jofre-Medel again. It's both an all time great fight, and all time great performance. Jofre was a beast.

Jel likes this.
  10. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Rewatched Magsayo vs. Ceja in Preparation for the Russell Fight Next Weekend...

If Magsayo Doesn't MENTALLY Succumb to the Threat of Russell's Handspeed, Shit Will Get VERY Interesting...The Rewatch Reminded REED of How Susceptible Magsayo Seems to Be to the Body as Well, Though...Ceja KILLED Magsayo in Round 5 of That Bout, By ATTACKING His Torso...

But Magsayo's Got NUTS & POWER For Sure...

REED:Dan1:

11. George Crowcroft

Regardless of the outcome this weekend, I'd wanna see Magsayo vs Navarrate.

12. Double L

Double L Book Reader

watched czyz vs. robert daniels. really good performance by czyz.

13. Xplosive

Rewatched Jorge Arce vs Yo Sam Choi (which is on my page btw).

Arce's best career performance. He beat the shit outta the very solid Choi.

Anyone give Arce a chance against Chocolatito at 108?

14. George Crowcroft

Today I've watched Canelo vs Jacobs, Kovalev and Chavez Jr. and I find it hilarious there are people who think he isn't on steroids. The way all of his physical downsides have mysteriously vanished... it's so obvious lol

15. George Crowcroft

Nah, Chocolatito would give Arce a beating at any weight. It'd be like the Yaegashi fight in the end IMO.

Speaking of which, Arce-Yaegashi would be an unholy war.

Xplosive likes this.
  16. Boxingfan25

Boxingfan25 Undisputed Champion

"All these mother fuckers are on steroids "

Nick Diaz

17. George Crowcroft

Some are on more than others.

18. Double L

Double L Book Reader

simon vs. thrice. good fight! thrice could fight and hit. he just seemed to run out of gas. plus, brown was digging to the body all night. but i think thrice just loaded up too much early on. six foot welters just seem to fade late.

also watched starling vs. brown. amazing how easily starling handled brown. but brown was definitely a little green.

Xplosive and Jel like this.
  19. Double L

Double L Book Reader

fenech vs. mccrory. amazing fight! fenech's energy and determination was certainly on display. but couldn't help but be impressed by mccrory as well. he managed to setup one after another hellacious shot. but to no avail. fenech just ran him over ultimately. this fight seemed old-time, even considering it was in the 80's.

Greynotsoold and Xplosive like this.
  20. Xplosive

Yeah, thats a good scrap. I've seen it several times. It was also Fenech's last fight at 118 before he moved up to Super Bantam.

21. George Crowcroft

Watching Ennis-Lipinets for the first time, in full, and I'm amazed at people saying Ennis needs to work on his defence. This is a guy who's 5'11, fights with his hands down, in the pocket... and he takes like, one clean punch a round. Ennis' defence is sick.

REEDsART and Xplosive like this.
  22. George Crowcroft

I think a higher level coach would have Ennis as far and away the best fighter in the world. I mean that, wholeheartedly. Not that Ennis' dad has done a bad job, or anything, but I think Ennis' style would benefit from some more unpredictability. His actions are predictable, but the way he does them is. He does everything the same. Same speed, same rhythm, same timing, same beat, same power, etc. I'd imagine an elite fighter with great timing would have a field day by the late rounds. Lipinets didn't have a chance at capitalising on this, but somebody like Crawford would. Ennis also doesn't seem to put much thought into his vast tool boxes. He just seems to go through the motions and use what he wants. He also doesn't do what Crawford does; for instance, where he switches stances based on the situation and opponent in front of him, and sticks with what works. Rather, Ennis switches multiple times a round in an attempt to confuse his foe - which doesn't really bother most fighters at a high level. What Crawford does is far more effective, and is the best way of using both stances IMO, and that includes the way Hagler did it. Well, mostly.

Ennis has all the physical talent a fighter could ask for; with blazing hand-speed, awesome power, quick feet, great eyes, great reflexes and he's extremely coordinated and clearly at least somewhat ambidextrous. His chin and heart haven't really been tested in a pro ring; but I'm positive growing up in Philly as an aggressive fighter who likes to keep his hands down, he's tough as fuck.

I think the smartest decision he could make right now would be to work with both his dad, and another coach. Bo Mac would likely fit with him well and the sparring he'd get there would be incredible - just like it has been for Xander Zayas - and Brian would likely be able to teach him some of the ingenious techniques he's shown Crawford, Stevenson, &co. That said, I don't think Bo Mac is the only option. Anatoly Lomachenko could show him plenty of tricks and techniques that would work well with Ennis' style; say what you want about Lomachenko being overly flashy, Ennis is all about that and Loma's offense is obviously brilliant.

It probably won't happen, and that's fine. Ennis is still the future of the division, and alongside Stevenson, all of American boxing.

23. Xplosive

Rewatched Esteban DeJesus vs Guts Ishimatsu.

Not the most exciting fight, but DeJesus won a 15-0 shutout, which is impressive given how good Guts was.

Guts looked spectacular in taking the title from Rodolfo Gonzalez, but he looked pretty clueless on how to attack DeJesus given Stevie's counterpunching ability.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  24. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    That was a dreadful beating. Like a WW version of Foreman-Frazier 1. The ref didn’t need to let it go on that long, he probably should have stopped in a round earlier.

Brown-Trice 1 was as good as any WW fight of the decade I thought.

25. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

RESPECT On Your Breakdown, Even Though REED Doesn't Agree, Entirely:Jest:...

REED Ain't the Biggest Fans of Father-Son Boxing Tandems, But He's Seen No Evidence it ISN'T Working in the Case of Bozy and Boots Ennis...No, Bozy WASN'T a Noteworthy Fighter and His Sons Pooh and Farrah BARELY Made Ripples as Pros, but Boxing is CLEARLY the Family Business...

REED's Point is, Boots May STILL Become the Best Fighter in the World REGARDLESS???!!!...The Skill/Talent is There and SOMEBODY Gets Credit for Honing it, Right???:Dont:...Beyond That, Bozy Isn't a THIRSTY Ass Boxing Dad Like Teofimo Sr., Kenny Porter, etc...Doesn't STEAL His Son's Shine, Yet Keeps Him GROUNDED/FOCUSED...

agREED On Boots' M.O. Not Being a MYSTERY, But the Fact He Throws Every Punch w/Power, from Both Stances, Keeps Foes on Their Toes, If Not GUESSING...

Totally agREED on Ennis Not Being MADE to Do Anything He HASN'T Wanted to in a Fight to this Point, as Well...Questions STILL Need to Be Answered; Fight Looooong Enough, Against Good Competition and SOMEBODY's Going to Impose Moments of DURESS, Eventually...

agREED On Crawford Being a More Effective "Switch Hitter" AND Your Point About Boots Switching to CONFUSE His Foes, but it's Usually After He's Hurt and/or Dropped Guys...Hurt Him Righty, Switch to Lefty; Vice Versa...

Your Philly Point is Excellent as Well...No Shortage of SPARRING In Philly, So if Boots was Chinny, Fellow Philly Boxing Guys WOULDN'T Speak of Him in the Near Reverential Tones They Do...

It's Gonna Be FUN Watching His Career Play Out...

REED:Dan1:

26. Punk

Punk "Twinkle Toes" McJack Staff Member

Rewatched Kambosos vs Lopez (along with all the pre fight fireworks lol) as well as Lopez vs Loma with a couple of boxing mates.

Teo fought exactly the same way in both fights, except had a slightly more consistent jab vs Loma. Loma did fucking nothing for 8 rounds, like he threw 5 punches a round, that's the reason Lopez won that fight. Why he did that, who knows.

27. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Pavlik vs. Zertuche!

Forgot what an exciting action-packed fight this was. Forgotten Pavlik could be so two-fisted. His left hook was every bit as destructive as his right hand that night.

And disgusting legit knockout.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    George Crowcroft and Xplosive like this.
  28. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    For the longest time, I had Curry-McCory in poor quality. Top Rank just uploaded it and it’s in good quality.

I’ll never tire of watching that left hook that dropped Milton.

Xplosive and Jel like this.
  29. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    He was a killer on the ropes.

All 3 wins for him that year (Zertuche, Pavlik, Taylor) came through vicious finishes on the ropes. Pavlik knew how to put his punches together.

30. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Lopez vs. Olivares

Such a gutsy effort from Olivares. What's nutty is what a different fighter he was by that point. Right before, I watched Olivares vs. Castillo and it didn't even seem like the same fighter.