Final Prediction: "The Golden Boy" Oscar De La Hoya vs. "Pretty Boy" Floyd Mayweather

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by ILLUMINATI, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Is Mayweather a wannabe-thug in your mind staff? Or is he genuine? Watching that 24/7 show makes it seem like he's trying to be something that he's not.
    It's like when the camera suddenly turns on, he transforms from a quiet dude with a smile to some character out of Boyz N The Hood.:dunno:

2. Matchup_Analyzer

Matchup_Analyzer Keyboard Warrior

Him and 50 cent are the same

3. royyjonesjrp4pno1

royyjonesjrp4pno1 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

u
    Its pretty obvious that he just try's to sell tickets. Every guy hes fought that hes trashed he has praised after the fight.

4. Hanzy

Jones in that form could've beaten some good heavyweights. I think he could've taken that IBF belt from Byrd at the time. That's what he should've done instead of dropping back down to fight Tarver.

5. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

Yes, he wants to be noticed and disliked...so that he can make more money.

Hatred sells....just ask a young Cassius Clay.

Floyd is actually a nice guy, evidenced by his post fight respectful comments and apologies about his opponents.

He wants people to hate him pre-fight as this motivates him to work hard, KNOWING he has to deliver. PLUS, of course, he wants the backing of the urban culture...

6. Hanzy

fair enough. So what are your plans next saturday? You catching it at a local bar, ordering the fight, going to a friend's? I think I can hop on over to Uncle Jasvinder's place and see it live.:cool:

7. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

"Uncle Jasvinder's"... hehe

I'm efforting that as we speak. I'm leaning towards the local bar that I usually go to for big fights, but my cousin may be ordering the PPV and if so, I may...go down there..

8. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Here's my quasi-analysis.

Keys to Victory for Oscar:

Intelligent Use of the Jab: As we all know, Floyd is excellent at countering jabs with his straight right hand, the "pull-counter". Guys can get more tenative when they're getting countered. On the other hand, Oscar has a terrific jab, better than any jab PBF has encountered as a pro, and as the saying goes, "a jab/good timing can neutralize speed". We saw it with Vernon Forrest against Shane Mosley, and to a lesser extent, Oscar in the rematch versus Mosley. De La Hoya can be very effective with the jab and knowing when to use it can be key. Once Floyd gets his rhythm going, he's extremely hard to stop.

The Left Hook: A no-brainer. Oscar's left hook is top-notch. Floyd, being the shorter guy, may have to reach in. He likes to leap in with the straight right hand. The darting in and out can be dangerous. For all of Floyd's technical brilliance, he does get away with things that others cannot because of his speed. He doesn't tuck his chin in when he punches, like Bernard Hopkins often does. He can leave his chin exposed, especially when he darts in and out with the straight right and Oscar can counter it. Oscar has to get the timing down on Mayweather's quick movements.

Body Attack: As Gil Clancy says, "the head may move but the body doesn't". Jose Luis Castillo had a tough time landing to Floyd's face, but an easier time to the body. This slows guys down and makes it harder to use your legs. Also, landing a well-placed shot on the hip or a low blow won't hurt. Oscar has always been an excellent body puncher.

Keys to Victory for Mayweather:

The Straight Right Hand: Yes, the same punch that can be very dangerous for Mayweather can also be the key punch in victory. Floyd has to know when to use it. Out of all the punches, the straight right hand is the one that Oscar is perhaps the most susecptible to. It was the key punch in Mosley's victory over Oscar in their first fight. B-Hop used it well too in his win over Oscar. Even Derrell Coley was able to stun Oscar with the straight right, if memory serves me correct.

Body Attack: Oscar's body punch defeat from Bernard Hopkins was not the only time Oscar's vulnerability to a body attack has cost him. He was hurt in both fights against Mosley from the body attack, which leads to the next category.

Get the Fight into the Late Rounds: Obviously it is no certainty that Oscar will fatigue and fade in the late going (Quartey, Vargas). But chances are, it favors Floyd in the late rounds than Oscar. When have you seen Mayweather fatigued in the late going? On the other hand, Oscar gave a couple of late rounds (10 and 11) away against M.A. Gonzalez, which was probably due to fatigue. Oscar also ran the last 3 rounds against Trinidad when he was tired, saying later than his legs were shaking and the fatigue affected his thought process. He faded in the late rounds against Mosley, both times, due to a wilting body attack. His heart allowed him to still throw leather in the late rounds, as it did also against Sturm, but getting outlanded is getting outlanded. Oscar also being a rather tense fighter seems to come to play as well.

The Jab: Mayweather is sometimes criticized for under utilizing his jab, but he does have an effective, educated jab. Watch his fights with Corrales and Sosa for instance. The jab can offset Oscar's rhythm and set up other shots for Mayweather. That's what a jab is for.

Of course some of these are somewhat obvious, but what else can I say? Boxing can be both complex and simple. Use your jab well and the other guy most likely will have problems. The question is which one of these guys will do a better job of using these tools better. I say the younger, fresher, smarter Floyd is.

Floyd UD. 8-4, 9-3, 6-5-1 (this is Vegas after all)

9. Rubio MHS

Rubio MHS Undisputed Champion

Whether you like Mayweather or not, he's legit. 50 Cent isn't.

10. Matchup_Analyzer

Every good fighter/rapper is legit until they get exposed or give up a blueprint

11. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

Official pick: Floyd UD
    Unofficial pick: Oscar KO
    Moral support pick: 60% Oscar, 40% Floyd.

12. Rubio MHS

Nice pick, Double L.

13. uppercutz1

uppercutz1 Leap-Amateur

Despite the fact that Oscar hammered Floyd with the contract (weight, gloves, ring size, etc), I find it hard to believe a guy who trains hard for 10 weeks of the year will beat someone who stays in supreme condition year round.

I think this fight is all hype, and unfortunately it may disappoint as Oscar will look old and slow.

This is a super event...not a superfight.

14. Rubio MHS

New poster of the week.

You have to admit, on another subject, both men came up from tough backgrounds. Oscar came up through the barrios, and while Floyd came up in a prestigious boxing family, his father - until being able to cash in on his son's popularity - was a drug dealer. You have to appreciate that both men came from humble beginnings to become rich, successful men.

15. Orthodox Crusader

Orthodox Crusader "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Yes...but Oscar has the power and Flid has that Mayweather jaw. You can never put muscles on a jaw. Excellent post too.

16. Matchup_Analyzer

Those silk pajamas ruin a fighter in the end

17. Orthodox Crusader

Don't forget that, somewhere along the line, Floyd was a slave. Other than that excellent chronology.

18. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: My god, you are like the Irish equivalent of Jessie/Al. You make White racism where there shouldn't be.

Oscar at least had a real family. His dad is a prick, but at least he a family. The Mayweathers are trash, human garbage. It has nothing to do with race. The Mayweathers are a athletically gifted criminal enterprise. They should name prisons after them.

19. Matchup_Analyzer

Great.

Bedwetter State Prison

Has a good ring to it

20. Orthodox Crusader

Hey Floyd said it not me!!!!! Some Italian-American down in Kentucky ownded him and Floyd got sick of the $3m pay-days, flung his ass in the Ohio river and made it to Grand Rapids. Fact.

As for the "athletically gifted criminal enterprise"...is that like breaking and entering, and window prising, all in the same thing?? They just call it enter-prising.?? Aiight??

21. uppercutz1

uppercutz1 Leap-Amateur

I just keep picturing how a young Oscar had immense trouble with a speedy Shane and slick Pernell....he's much older now and facing the same two problems rolled into one (Floyd).

I just hope Oscar's in supreme shape (to keep the heat on) because I don't think Floyd will stay in the pocket.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  22. Orthodox Crusader

1. Pernell is an all time great and would whip the tar out of Floyd. I wouldn't even pick Floyd to beat a prime Hector Camacho, not going by his fight with Judah anyways.

2. Pernell was a SP that had good experience against bigger men. Pernell, if I remember correctly, started out at lightweight. He wasn't big but he started higher than Floyd.

3. Oscar had been doing a bit of moving up himself when he met Pernell. Compare that to how settled Oscar is at 154 now, and how new Floyd will be to that weight.

4. Mosley is bigger than Floyd.

5. A lot of people feel Oscar beat Mosley in their re.

23. LATIN KING

LATIN KING Undisputed Champion

I agree! which is funny to me when people label Oscar fake but Floyd "keeps it real" :laughing: he is also fake he just doesn't hide it well.

I think he should beat Oscar soundly but of course when he does Oscar will no longer be an overrated fake fighter he will be a legend that Floyd just beat. :laughing:

24. Rubio MHS

Floyd Mayweather is an all-time-great.

25. uppercutz1

uppercutz1 Leap-Amateur

Pernell is a legend but I don't think he'd "whip" Floyd between 130-154.

Yes, Oscar is settled at 154 but he's no longer a supremely conditioned fighter....Floyd will make him move and work all night.

I believe Oscar beat Shane as well in their rematch, but both fighters were far removed from their physical prime (1st match). Also, let's not forget that Shane's defensive prowess paled in comparison to Floyd's.

26. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Oscar De La Hoya: 13
    ILLUMINATI
    : De La Hoya by TKO/KO 3
    mexican wedding shirt: De La Hoya by TKO 11
    Orthodox Crusader: De La Hoya by KO 11
    ÇHÃ￾LÃ…QUÃ￾L£$: De La Hoya by MD
    KaukipRrr: De La Hoya by KO 6
    TKO: De La Hoya by TKO 6
    PetreTG: De La Hoya by Decision
    whiskey: De La Hoya by Decision
    D MAN: De La Hoya by KO 3
    3OG: De La Hoya by UD
    Matchup_Analyzer: De La Hoya by KO 9
    60/40: De La Hoya by KO 5
    ArturoGatti: De La Hoya by TKO 10

Floyd Mayweather: 14
    Trplsec: Mayweather by UD
    Rubio MHS: Mayweather by Decision
    slystaff: Mayweather by UD
    Octopus: Mayweather by UD
    boxingnotboxers: Mayweather by UD
    dsimon3387: Mayweather by UD
    royyjonesjrp4pno1: Mayweather by UD
    Dr. Strangelove: Mayweather by close UD
    jaws1216: Mayweather by UD
    REEDsART: Mayweather by UD
    steve_dave: Mayweather by UD
    puerto rock: Mayweather by easy UD
    Erratic: Mayweather by UD
    dymipepel: Mayweather by UD

27. LATIN KING

LATIN KING Undisputed Champion

Mayweather by UD!

28. KaukipRrr

KaukipRrr "Twinkle Toes" McJack

:nono: I said - De La Hoya TKO 10!!, cause I don't believe the referee is gunna call Fraud on his felonies, I really dont,....if he does 'KO 6',..but he won't, so TKO 10 you compartmentalizing dollop.

29. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

CNC Manager
    Home Page:
    He's an insecure queer. His antics are well documented out in public at clubs and gainst his wife in the house. I'd say he is hamming it up a little, but not much.

30. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Look sand monkey it doesn't say anything there about DLH in 10...:notallthere: