GGG vs Kell Brook - Sep 10th at the O2

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Slice N Dice, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Stevie Johnston slammed his face into a steering wheel and suffered bruising and swelling for the rest of his career. Margarito we know about. Taylor too after Chavez.

Broken eye sockets are a serious injury.

That eye will swell for the rest of his career. His missus could kiss him there and he'd be out of action for a year.

2. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Nasty sport boxing, really. I'd have hopped the ropes and sprinted out the arena to A&E as soon as that shit happened...mad how brave these guys are

3. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Adrenalin, the crowd giving it loads, bravery.......keeps these guys going. But watch it again, Brook was motioning to his corner early in there.

4. Jimmy

Jimmy The Greatest of Are Times

Golovkin should try and fight over in the UK again. BJS, Eubank Jr, DeGale. Some nice paydays there.

5. Jimmy

The fight was better than expected. Brook has skills but could not discourage or hurt GGG.

6. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I had him nicking the 2nd. I think in retrospective it looked more competitive than it was because everybody gave him no chance at all going in so winning a round and catching GGG like he did was surprising viewers. There was a moment where he was even able to stop GGG in his tracks for a second or two but ultimately GGGs power did the job. Brook deserves a lot of credit for taking the fight. He had to given the amount of money he earned.

No one should be pissed at the stoppage though. It looked early sure because it looked like Brook could handle the power but in reality his body/facial bones could not as was evidenced by the surgery.

7. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    he says he wants bjs

8. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Agreed.....it reminds me of when Paul Smith fought AA in Germany.........because Smith didn't die, the Brit commentary team had him winning hands down.

9. His_Royness

If it was Abraham after the Taylor fight I would have almost understood the surprise but Abraham wasn't exactly the hot shit GGG is in the eyes of boxing fans nowadays and Smith not coming up two weight divisions.

10. Jimmy

Saunders is giving it large but he's not really up to the task. He initially said that nobody in their right mind should go anywhere near GGG.

Other fighters can look at the Golovkin-Brook fight and be encouraged. Triple G can be hit. If you've got the skills, power and brains, you've got a chance.

11. Punk

Punk "Twinkle Toes" McJack Staff Member

Yeah Brook won the second but not much else. The UK commentary was absurd. GGG looked average yet did it easy.

Brook basically quit in the 4th with the pawing and pleading with the corner.

12. Punk

Punk "Twinkle Toes" McJack Staff Member

GGG style seems a bit like Tszyu in a way - you'll beat him if you take the fight to him for 12 rounds and win the battle of wills. But otherwise you'll get beat.

The old Soviet system really weeds out the weak and fragile from the ranks.

13. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    If you've got the skills, power and brains you can probably beat anybody :lol:

Saunders doesn't have the wherewithall to outlast GGG.

Eubanks might stay with him on account of his chin but he has high cheekbones, and is so easy to hit.

14. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Yes...there is no head movement and the lines are a bit straight. If Golovkin had a broken eye socket he might too be a different fighter. But as Erik Morales used to say......"I'd hate to take my own power". Being incapable of taking what the other guy dishes out is one thing, being incapable of taking what you yourself dish out is another.

It's a bad mark for a puncher not to be able to take the other fellows power, it's not a bad thing that the same puncher cannot take his own power.

Right now, Golovkin is able to take the other fellows power for as long as it takes his own to kick in. That will do............for now.

15. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Brave...and more than a little stupid on the side.
    Boxing, designed to be ´noble and sophisticated´, is the surest way to develop traumatic brain injury.
    If anyone´s ever had aspirations of dying in the ring, they need to do only two things: take up boxing, and wait.

16. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Of course it is extrapolation, since GGG is adament on fighting the worst possible oppissitions. And we wont see a lot of his flaws against the Monroe and Brooks of this world. But unlike most of you guys, i won't act like him beating the 168 champs is a formality, juste because he claims they are not up to his level.

17. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Or in Golovkins case, take up boxing,and wait and wait and wait for Canelo to grow a pair.

18. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

GGG looked awkward and a little labored. I think Brooks hand speed had a lot to do with that. HBO was saying Brook "outboxed" GGG in the second but he didn't. Brook had success when he let his hands go because he's a fast sharp puncher. But he couldn't deter GGG at all.

The stoppage was upsetting but I get it. The only question at that point was whether Brook would be more TKO'd by accumulation or get KTFO.

I'd take the Brook that fought GGG over Canelo to be honest. I don't know if he'll bounce back 100% from this though. But his corner saved him a lot of physical punishment and also gave him a mental boost by giving him an excuse.

19. His_Royness

I don't think Brook could take Canelo. And outboxing is possible without deterring your foe, at least for one particular round. It looked to me as if he would have been TKOed not KTFO. he is a little bit to good at rolling with the punches so I'd say the probability of a TKO would have been higher.

20. Bordon

Brook got his face jabbed in in the second round. He didn't outbox Golovkin, he just stole the round with some flurries. When that's all you can do and the flurries don't hurt or pause your opponent it's just a matter of time.

21. Wiser 1878

Wiser 1878 Bridgerweight Champion

Management/Health Care
    I could use one myself.

22. Jesus of montreal

I'd bet big money that Canelo beats Brooks without much trouble. But, then, I'm pretty sure nobody here really think he has a chance, no matter what they wrote.

23. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

Saw the fight much after the event. Brook decided to go shit or bust and fought gamely for a few rounds but was looking for a way out after three rounds. His race was run. GGG was in a hurry and was messy in his work but still plenty effective. The UK commentary was nothing short of an absolute disgrace. As usual. Nothing much to see here.

MTF

24. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Agreed. I suspected beforehand that it was simply a money grab from team Brooks where they'll call it a day at the first sign of danger. Seem it was the case but contrary to you, I do blame Golovkin, when you agree to face an undersized, overmatched and unproven fighter, what do you expect ?

25. Bordon

Yeah because Brook beating Canelo is just outlandish.

It sounds like you've bought into a theme and you're just spewing bullshit.

26. Neil

Neil tueur de grenouilles

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    we shall see how brook recovers from having his face broken by golovkin. that man's eye socket was broken, "allegedly"

it makes sense for the corner to stop it, if that is true.

if that is not true there is a major conspiracy taking place to discredit golovkin and preserve the reputation of brook

27. Neil

Neil tueur de grenouilles

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    do you folks from canadia purposely refers to Kell Brook in the plural form? is this a thing like meet the feebles does with chris eubank(s)? because he explained his logic. yours is unfounded.

28. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

The Slice is Right.

Like most I had it 3-1 GGG at the time if the stoppage, GGG was just walking Brook down and I honestly think he didn't mind taking a few shots to open Kell up for counters, especially as Brook couldn't hurt him. Brook is a good fighter though, can definitely make an impact at 154.

29. Jesus of montreal

it depends on what your definition of outlandish is. Is it as unlikely as Gary Johnson winning the election ? No. But Brook would be a heavy heavy underdog against Canelo, and deservedly so.

30. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Exactly