GGG vs Kell Brook - Sep 10th at the O2

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Slice N Dice, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Wiser 1878

Wiser 1878 Bridgerweight Champion

Management/Health Care
    I'll HOLLA 5000!!!

2. Neil

Neil tueur de grenouilles

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    30 days out from their September 10 showdown in London, WBC/WBA/IBF middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin and IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook both took part in their WBC-mandated 30-Day weigh-ins. Brook scaled in at 176 pounds, while GGG weighed 165 pounds. They both have to get down to 160 pounds or less by the official weigh-in on September 9.

3. Double L

Double L Book Reader

wow. ggg is at 165 already!

meanwhile, what the fuck happened to august? no good fights at all in august. hate that shit.

4. Neil

mcGregor vs Diaz II !

Spence vs Bundu !

5. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

what the hell? Sounds to me like they decided to take on GGG because they knew they would be sitting on the shelf for too long attempting to make a fight @ 147.

6. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Brook is fat.

7. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

It would be hilarious if it's Brook who doesn't make the weight.

8. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

9. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
  10. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

REED is laughing about the fact that Golovkin thinks DeGale und Jack are no big fights for him and that he thinks weighing in at 165 30 days prior to the weigh in doesn't make him a big middleweight.

11. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Oh. I see.

12. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

I´m still on-the-fence about Gennady Golovkin.
    I was in the Golovkin-should-move-up camp two years ago and I can´t help compare this situation to the one Marvellous Marvin Hagler was in during the early-to-mid-80s: sticking at 160lb and getting big paydays against guys moving up.

However, Hagler and Golovkin are both 5′ 10″, Hagler looks the bigger guy....and back then there wasn´t a 169lb division until Hagler was pretty much done anyway.

Froch (albeit biased as usual) always said Golovkin was too small:
    “Don’t forget there’s a little bit of history between us. There’s no bad blood or animosity, but I think he’s too small for a super-middleweight that punches like I do. “Against any super-middleweight that can bang a bit, I think he’s going to struggle.
    He needs to fight guys like Eubank Jr or Saunders who have a high workrate and can bang a bit”

Unfortunately, Eubank Jr is owned by his fucking Dad and Saunders seems hellbent on cashing-out as soon as he can.

The closer this fight with Kelly Brook approaches, the more I fell its not going to be a quick blow-out.

13. Neil

:lol:

14. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Me and 400 other people watched Degale absolutely dominate and destroy Porky Medina at the massive DC Armory. The whisper going thru the crowd was "GGG don't want that work!"

15. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Porky Medina I see... :lol:

16. Neil

:drl:

degale looked awful vs medina

17. Jimmy

Jimmy The Greatest of Are Times

Too much bloody talk from the Eubanks and Saunders. I want those fights over gay Brook. Still can't believe that fight is happening. Deary me.

18. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Thats modern-day boxing negotiations for ya!

I hope Brook can use his smarts and take it the distance.
    Whats his chin \ conditioning like?

19. Jimmy

Jimmy The Greatest of Are Times

Think his stamina has always been questioned. Remember the first Jones fight? His chin? Against GGG? Well, let's just say I don't think it'll hold up against him.

20. Bordon

Epic performance. Raucous venue. Legendary nights.

21. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Nah, What REED Finds Funny is Just how LITTLE GGG Cares About his Boxing Legacy, the LACK of URGENCY he Shows in PROVING Himself, the Unwarranted HYPE he Continues to Generate and the MYTH that he's Being "Avoided"...The Article EXPOSES All That, Not that It was a Secret...

As REED Types, Errol Spence is 2-3 Fights from Having a Resume ON PAR w/GGG's (If Not Better), in Considerably FEWER Bouts and Years as a Pro...As REED has Stated Ad Nauseam, Moving Up to '68 Would ENHANCE GGG's Legacy a Helluva Lot More than Wiping His Ass w/Willie Monroe's Journeyman Son or Dominic Wade Did...Not to Mention a Guy Moving Up 2 Weight Classes to Fight Him...

Seriously, the ONLY Way the Brook Fight Impacts GGG's Legacy is If he Somehow LOSES...Otherwise, it's a NO WIN Situation...

But Since HBO Pays Him TOP Dollar for NATHAN Bouts and Fans GLEEFULLY Take it Up the Ass in Regards to GGG, This is What Happens...It's UNPRECEDENTED in Boxing History, Actually...

REED:hammert:

22. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

The BIGGEST Difference btwn Hagler and GGG is Hagler Completely CLEANED OUT 160 and the Guys That Moved Up to Face Him were Legitimate LEGACY/MONEY Fights For Him...

Granted, it's NOT GGG's Fault he Can't Get Middleweights in the Ring w/Him, but There's Guys 8lbs North, w/TITLES, That Would Gladly Face Him...If Hagler were in GGG's Shoes Today, UNABLE to Land Meaningful Middleweight Opposition or Convince BIG FIGHT Smaller Guys to Move Up, REED has LITTLE Doubt Hagler Would Go to Supermiddle...

23. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Yeah, this is bullshit Reed. Right now his resume is way below GGG's and if you pretend that he fights unifications and Canelo in his next 3 fights, then his resume would probably leapfrog over GGG's, but so would mine, yours, and everyone else's on this board. Spence hasn't beaten a top 10 guy, yet. GGG has beaten a few.

24. Bordon

The idea that GGG could raise his profile or advance his legacy by going out of his way to fight guys like Degale and Jack is a joke. The only people who even mention those match ups are boxing fans that dislike GGG, because they aren't intriguing opponents at all. Maybe if they unify in a FOTY candidate but the doubleheader with Medina and Bute didn't exactly impress...

25. Neil

The opponents who made sense for golovkin to move up and face were froch, ward and chavez jr. Golovkin wasn't interested in ward but clearly would've moved up for the other two

26. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Exactly. I used to be really high on GGG, but now it's pretty obvious that the guy is a non-ambitious coward. Guy makes Calzaghe resume look like a murderers row. And I have to wonder about the knowledge of these so called boxing fans that claim that the Degale and Jack fights are not interesting. Are these guys world beaters? No, But they are much better fighters than anybody on GGG resume. Hell, at this point a fight against Bute would be a step up for GGG, and it would be a much more interesting fight than seeing him against midget Brook or nobody Wade (even if GGG koed Bute in the amateur).

As I already said, boxing fans gets what they deserve, and since most fans nowadays are uncritical sheeps, no wonder that the networks and the fighters are feeding us garbage

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  27. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

The Mere FACT Errol Spence Could LEGITIMATELY "Leapfrog" GGG's Resume in 2-3 Bouts, Despite Golovkin Being Considerably OLDER in Terms of Age and Pro Experience, IS NOT a Feather in the Cap of GGG, In the Least...

The POINT is Just How SHITTY GGG's Resume Is, NOT How "Great" Errol Spence's Is...Yet NO GGG Apologists EVER Want to Debate It....Bottom Line, if Spence Fought Lamont Peterson, Shawn Porter and Keith Thurman/Danny Garcia in his Next 3 Fights, his Resume Would SURPASS Gennady's, Clearly...Unless he's Faced Canelo By Then...

"Top 10 Guy"???...YOU Being the Quintessential ADVOCATE of Sanctioning Bodies That You Are, SURELY You Appreciate Chris Van Heerden's # 7 I.B.F. Ranking, When Spence KO'ed Him???...Bundu was 6th or 7th Himself, @ the Time...rEED's Fairly Certain Ronald Cruz Hovered Around the OUTSKIRTS of Some Sanctioning Bodies World Rankings....

28. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Before REED Debate's Against Your Take, He'd Loooooooooooooove to Know YOUR Thoughts on the Current State of GGG's Legacy, Specifically???...

29. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

"Non Ambitious" is the PERFECT Way to Describe GGG's Career....
    Dude's Undeniably EXCITING to Watch, He BRINGS it When he's In the Ring, but the Motherfucker is 34 Years of Age, Yet Is Obviously CONTENT Facing Soft Touch After Soft Touch...In Terms of the HYPE He Gets, GGG's Arguably The LEAST "Ambitious" Lb for Lb Level Fighter REED's EVER Seen...No Exaggeration...

But You're Right, Dude is Only Doing What Networks and Fans Have ENABLED Him to Do....

30. Neil

If Spence beat Peterson, Porter and Thurman i would consider his resume better than golovkins, even if golovkin beat alvarez, jack and degale in the same time frame.