Gracie-Hughes...

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Baron, May 24, 2006.

1. Son of Payton

Son of Payton Banned

Home Page:
    Any updates to report yet?

2. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Hughes took down Royce and beat his ass stupid on the ground in quick fashion.

TKO1 Hughes.

Now everyone who even said the slightest thing positive about Royce or this fight, STFU and go back to sticking your finger up each others asses.

3. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:

I told you Croc:neener: :coffeekcik:

4. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Royce rules!!! Great effort.:2: Dude just about had his arm broken and his expression never changed. He's not one willing to quit. Good performance by Hughes too. Although it should be noted that everybody's time eventually comes to an end. Royce's time is up unfortunately, Hughes time will be up in due time, and somebody else will rule and he'll be used as a knock around doll for the younger guys. It happens to everybody.
    We should still show respect for Mr.Gracie.
    :holla:

5. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

FUCK!!!!!

Oh well I'll pull the typical boxing fans excuse and say Royce is past his prime and Matt gets no credit for beating an old man:grandpa:
    GSP is going to stomp a mudhole in Hughes and walk that sumbitch dry because Stone Cold said so!!!

Naw I give Matt props he did a good job but if this was ten years ago the outcome would have been like Hanzy's picture:box:

6. sexperienced

sexperienced Leap-Amateur

how bad was the pounding? was it a suspect TKO?... I've heard they had 20 secs left in that round.

7. sexperienced

sexperienced Leap-Amateur

can someone please up the fight for some of us?

8. Explosivo

Explosivo Undisputed Champion

Put Matt in PRIME with guys like Wanderlei Silva if you REALLY wanna know how good he is.

9. 20yearoldvirgin

20yearoldvirgin WBC Champion

Was Marco Ruas's nickname "the king of Brazilian street fighting" or something like that? Or was that Royce Gracie?

10. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

yep

11. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

Well he was on Royce's back with a double leg ride set in and he started landing punches and the ref stopped it.Royce wasn't knocked out or anything.

I also want to add that the elbow Hughes landed on the back of Royce's head was illegal and that's what really done Royce in.

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  12. valdosta

Home Page:
    Really? What the hell would that prove? In this day and age size matters because these guys cross train. This isn't like that beginning shit where size didn't matter when Gracie fought those unskilled bums. The truth is Hughes has beaten better competition than Royce did and is a greater fighter as well.

13. Hanzy

How good will Hughes be when he's 39?

14. valdosta

Home Page:
    Not sure but I know at 32 he has a better resume than Gracie has who happens to be 39.

15. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

none of the guy's Royce fought back then where "Unskilled bums"... except the guy with the one boxing glove:jester: All those fighter's back then where highly ranked martial artist. UFC was the first of it's kind to put different styles against one another and Royce's proved to be the best at that point in time.

16. valdosta

Home Page:

Like I said, they were unskilled bums with an exception or 2. I have seen all the early UFC's and those guys were simply not very good.

17. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

I have all of them on DVD and none of the guys Royce fought in the finals were bums.:rolleyes: Go call Keith Hackney a bum:rolleyes: Go call Pat Smith a bum:rolleyes: Go call the 8 time judo champion that weighed 260lbs a bum:rolleyes: Go call a prime Ken Shamrock a bum:rolleyes: Go call a prime Kimo a bum:rolleyes:

Let's see Hughes fight and beat three people bigger then him with NO gloves and NO rules other then biting and eye gouging in the SAME night.

18. johnjohn808

johnjohn808 Scrub

They were`nt UNSKILLED... they were just not prepared for the grappling format. Now put Royce in a straight kickboxing match and he`d look unskilled too.
    Not to mention that the conception of The UFC was built around the Gracies.

19. Hanzy

Royce is 39 now. He only came back for the cheque. He's not inferior to crap like Matt Hughes. When Matt's 39 and is used as a knock-around doll by young kids coming in, then we can say he's a farce and was never any good.:rolleyes:

20. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

I know right, this guy don't know what he's talking about.

21. valdosta

Home Page:

Actually, I never said Royce was no good (he was very good) but he was overated off beating some sorry ass competition. Hell, Hughes could lose his next fight considering he fights damn good fighters. Although he already beat GSP (hey isn't GSP 7 years younger), I can easily see Hughes losing the rematch.

22. valdosta

Home Page:
    They were crap MMA fighters, that's the truth. I just tell shit like it is. The guys back then sucked if you prefer me using better grammar.

23. valdosta

Home Page:
    Actually I do know what I am talking about. What I am talking about is the fact that Royce's "legacy" was built off beating guys who really weren't very good. It's pretty simple and it's very true as we saw him get his ass ripped up tonight by a guy who is more well rounded.

24. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

Well go look Pat Smith up in the yellow pages and tell you would like to fight him in the Octagon because he's a unskilled fighter fuck the guy with the one boxing glove would beat on you:jester:
    i find it funny how a bum can call someone else a bum:nixweiss:

25. valdosta

Home Page:
    My profession doesn't happen to be fighting. In my profession I am not a bum but I can evaluate others. Pat Smith,Keith Hackney, etc,etc were not good MMA fighters. Shamrock was good so I give Gracie credit for that win but overall gracie's resume isn't that great. :pain10:

26. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

So Royce is a bum? like i said buddy no matter what the fuck you type with your keyboard it'll will never fucking change the FACT that without Royce and the entire Gracie family there would be no fucking Matt Hughes, no fucking Liddell's, no fucking Ortiz, there would be none of them if there was no Royce Gracie and that's a fucking fact jack.:nono:

27. valdosta

Home Page:
    Can you read? I said above that Royce was a very good fighter. However he was never the unbeatable god that was portrayed. No fighter is above criticism, NONE. Especially not when they had obvious weakness's like Royce. of course Royce beating Keith Hackney is supposed to make me think otherwise huh? :jester:

28. johnjohn808

johnjohn808 Scrub

The guy with the one glove I believe was former I.B.F cruiser weight champ James Waring. He ended up going to the Extrme Fighting Championships and beating the shit out of I think "Keith Hackney"??? I remember him dragging him around the otagon by his hair and beating the crap out of him. And I think Hackney was a grappler if im not mistaken.

But i thought it was totally unfair to only let him punch with 1 hand.

In a way, Val is right though... back then, the fighters were`nt as skilled against grapplers. But they were skilled in their own arts. UFC opened my eyes as a martial artist. Im happy that I had a wrestling background. But not many martial artists had ground games back then.

29. valdosta

Home Page:

I thought the boxer was Art Jimmerson?

30. johnjohn808

johnjohn808 Scrub

You`re probably right Val, it was a long time ago.
    I think James Waring was the guy that beat up Keith Hackney.
    I still think it was unfair to only let him punch with 1 hand though. He would have lost in my opinion, but why take away half of the guy`s tools? That sucked.