Gracie-Hughes...

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Baron, May 24, 2006.

1. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

Nobody said they were good MMA FIGHTERS seeing how there were no MMA fighter's back then:jester: Shamrock wasn't a MMA fighter back then he was a Shootfighter. UFC begin the MMA fighting but all of them were good "fighters". The UFC started because they wanted to see which STYLE of MARTIAL ARTS was the best, you know you use your's and I'll use mine and let's see who win's and fucking Royce won back to back.

I don't think anybody ever said Matt wasn't a more well rounded fighter then Royce but I bet Matt still sleep's with his light on in fear of the 155lb boogyman BJ Penn. What was that move BJ used to make Matt tap? I could have sworn I'd seen that move before somewhere like back in 1993 and guess who it was that I'd seen use it, yeah hands up... it was Gracie.

2. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    I know why the UFC was started. You can get your panties out of a bunch and quit repeating yourself. Regardless of why the UFC was started, the competition was pretty damn weak at the time and Royce had a big style advantage. Truth is Royce was around at the right time.

As for Hughes, Penn stunned him pretty good before subbing him but shit like that happens when you face top competition on a consistent basis. BJ is 1 of the most well round MMA fighters ever if the guy actually gave a shit about the sport. Sometimes he shows up and sometimes he just don't seem to care.

3. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

The sport has changed alot since 1993 and guess why... Yeah again it was because of that guy Royce Gracie. People were like what the fuck! That little dude just chocked out that big motherfucking Judo champion!
    Fuck I got to learn how to fight on the ground:sulkoff: and from there children the game started to change.
    Nobody claimed Royce was unbeatable atleast not today but back then yeah he was damn near unbeatable.

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  4. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

Did you know it wasn't suppose to be Royce fighting in the first UFC? The family thought it would be Rickson Gracie to represent the family and were stunned when the older brother picked Royce to represent the family. Rickson is a better fighter then Royce.

5. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Pitbull = P4P the biggest cryabbay faggot this side of Rocky Juarez. Eat a dick ya wannabe black homo. Your boy got his ass kicked and you look even stupider than he does....go figure.

6. FourHooks

FourHooks Undisputed Champion

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    you're right

7. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    shootfighting, vale tudo, and catch wrestling were all hybrid martial arts sports long before the UFC

8. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    you're right the name of the game is MIXED martial arts....Those guys were NOT MIXED martial artists....They were guys who were good at their craft, and that was about it, and what the Gracie's set out to prove with the UFC is that their fighting style was superior to other fighting styles.....Since then, a ton of things have changed, and its not nearly even close to the same game it was......Gracie was great at BJJ, but not a great mixed martial artist

9. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    he chose to wear the glove:jester: :rolleyes:

10. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    shootfighting IS MMA.....its wrestling, standup, and submissions....its just not as an evolved form of MMA as vale tudo, or todays MMA

11. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

:nono: Shootfighting has it's own RULES, Vale Tudo has it's own RULES, the UFC was the first NHB fighting event in America that matched DIFFERENT STYLES against one another with NO RULES except biting and eye gouging.

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  12. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    you said shamrock wasnt a mixed martial artist, correct??? shootfighting is mixed martial arts, period......Thats like saying someone who plays arena league football isnt a football player, but someone in the CFL is.....Shootfighting does have its own rules, but it IS MIXED MARTIAL ARTS

sorry, i thought you responded to another post.....still, my point still stands

13. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    BTW, why the :nono: ......you didnt refute anything I said, you just added other points:nixweiss:

14. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

Bullshit it's not the same, in a Shootfighting tourny you fight other Shootfighters. A Kung Fu fighter doesn't fight in Shootfighting tourny's, Tae Kwon do fighter's don't fight in Shootfighting tourny's.

Nobody even heard the name MMA's until the UFC, the reason it's called MIXED MARTIAL ART'S is because MMA fighter's cross train in all forms of Martial Art's and that happened AFTER Royce Gracie.

15. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    Just because no one over here heard of it doesnt mean it didnt exist....

you ever watched pancrase???? Tell me that isnt a mixed martial art....You dont know what he fuck you're talking about

16. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

Pancrase is a MARTIAL ART in and of itself.

You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

17. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    if pancrase is a martial then UFC is one also:rolleyes:

18. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

Thats like calling Tae Kwon Do a mixed martial art just because you throw a punch:rolleyes:

19. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

The UFC is MIXED MARTIAL ARTS, Pancrase is a fucking STYLE of MARTIAL ARTS.

20. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    you're right, a sport that incorporates catch wrestling, pro wrestling, judo, many different striking techniqhes and submissions is not a mixed martial art, just because you hadnt heard of it prior to hearing about the UFC....My mistake:rolleyes:

21. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    No, UFC and Pancrase are both orginizations that hold fights in which the competitors use mixed martial arts techniques

22. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

I've known about Vale Tudo and Pancrase long before the UFC. Vale Tudo and Pancrase fighter's fought in the early UFC's.

23. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

They do not have the same fucking rules.

24. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

Just so you know wrestling is not a fucking martial art.

25. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

PANCRASE is the name of the organization founded by Masakatsu Funaki and Minoru Suzuki in May, 1993

could this be AFTER the first UFC?

26. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

The origin of the name PANCRASE dates back to the ancient Greeks who had a sport competition called PANKRATION.

27. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Go wikipedia, huh? :jester:

28. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

The first ufc was I think october 93

29. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do was actually an MMA fighting system, which incorporated elements of various forms of combat, from boxing to wrestling to judo to karate to even submissions, etc.
    Bruce was SO FAR AHEAD OF HIS TIME, IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY! Now it just happens that about 2-3 decades later, that people have caught on and realized that cross training ensures(but doesn't guarantee) success in MMA organizations. Something Bruce was preaching in his philosophy.
    Shows you just how amazing Bruce Lee was. Bruce was telling the world all about this shit back in the fucking 1960s and only now do people have a clue!
    Bruce Lee was a phenomenon!!!
    Now you got guys saying Royce never evolved with the times where today's fighters crosstrain. Just like now, you have wrestlers incorporating their mat game with stand up striking and submissions, the way Matt Hughes has been doing in order to ensure success in his UFC career.

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  30. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

:jester: :jester: That's funny I was just thinking about posting shit from the "Tao of Jeet Kune Do".

Everything happening in UFC, Pride and everywhere else is a product of Jeet Kune Do the FIRST MIXED MARTIAL ART CONCEPT!