Gracie-Hughes...

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Baron, May 24, 2006.

1. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

It was Nov 93
    I checked the DVD.

2. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Yep. Just so happens Bruce died so young, before he could really elevate his system. I think I could dare to say that Bruce would've been a huge influence in the evolution of MMA. We have fighters today catching on about the importance of cross-training, something Matt Hughes is proof of.
    If Bruce had lived, it's possible kids from infancy would've been doing the cross-training system of fighting, and maybe today's fighters could actually be even better than they are now.
    Afterall, how long did it take fighters to realize the importance of incorporating other forms of fighting in their training? 6-7 years ago maybe?
    How long did it take Mirko CroCop to realize that he needed to brush up on his ground game, and that he couldn't always rely on stand up?
    I feel Bruce would've been a huge impact regarding the evolution of MMA.

3. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

I think Bruce should be given credit for what we have today with MMA, it's not his fault people were to slow to catch on.

4. FourHooks

FourHooks Undisputed Champion

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    who said anything about rules.....I think your having a problem with your definition of MMA

5. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    Wrestling and Mixed Martial Arts

Wrestling has gained tremendous respect as a martial art with the advent of mixed martial arts competition. Many fighters identify wrestling itself or Submission wrestling as their style of fighting. Wrestling forms the base of some of the most respected self defense/mixed martial arts systems in the world eg such as Shootfighting, Shooto, Pancrase, Combat Submission Wrestling, or Sambo.

6. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    no one is denying what Royce has done for the sport of MMA....Bringing BJJ to the forefront of American mixed martial arts was HUGE....Without it, who knows where the sport would be at. But the fact is that most of the guys who fought in the early UFC's just werent good MIXED martial artists...Thats not a knock on Royce, just a fact of life when talking about early american MMA

7. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    Catch wrestling, like it was with so many other early forms of MMA, was HUGE in Jeet Kune Do

8. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

Man I said that a few post back:jester: The fighters back then were good at their certain styles. I never said they were good MMA fighters, I disargeed with dude for saying they were "unskilled bums" and the fact of the matter is they were all highly ranked in their style of martial art's.

9. Wiser 1878

Wiser 1878 Bridgerweight Champion

Management/Health Care
    This is all wrong. The boxer in UFC I with one glove was Art Jimmerson.

Warring fought in the World Combat Championship and did NOT fight Keith Hackney. There was a striker's division and a grappler's division. Warring won the striker's division. I belive the long haired guy was kickboxer. Renzo Gracie won the grappler's division. They met in the final and Renzo made short work of Warring.

10. Wiser 1878

Wiser 1878 Bridgerweight Champion

Management/Health Care
  11. D.C. Pizza Master

D.C. Pizza Master Undisputed Champion

Head Pizza Chef and Manager
    royce got fucked up....Hughes was just so much stronger....that was the real advantage he had...he was muscling royce all around the place

i think the gracie's have to start pumping some weights....oh...royce should also retire...a few big fights left? give me a break

12. D.C. Pizza Master

D.C. Pizza Master Undisputed Champion

Head Pizza Chef and Manager

yeah but the guy warren beat was a shootfigher i thought..he was a mixed martial art guy

warren i think was 40 years old right?

i laughed when he got a leg cramp when gracie took him down..ha ha

13. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

Another boxer early on was Milton Bowen, but he was not a REAL sucessful boxer either