MLB 2021

Discussion in 'Hall of Fame/Shame' started by Ugotabe Kidding, May 5, 2021.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Yeah, your data is off. I would have to do research to prove it, but certainly don't have the time now.

ESPN doesn't have anywhere near that kinda viewership anymore. And they're terrified because they lose more and more relevance each year.

Bro, 95% of males are watching Rogan's podcast at night.

This isn't 1997 with Stu Scott and Rich Eisen hosting Sportscenter. No one watches that shit anymore. Why? Because there's no need. YouTube has the highlights.

2. Xplosive

Lastly, "soccer moms" would only know who Tatis is if their husband and/or kid was following the sport. The husband MIGHT BE, but the kid sure as fuck ain't. Kids don't watch baseball anymore. It's too long and too boring. They need instant gratification. And chances are, the husband ain't even watching baseball anymore. More likely the NFL.

But what the husband very likely IS doing is having a casual fight party around a Canelo fight, just because it's an event to invite his buddies to for a chance to chill and drink. So that "soccer mom" likely knows the name Canelo. The husband is at LEAST having MMA fight parties, in which case, the soccer mom would STILL hear about Canelo cause all of Dana's underpaid slaves call out Canelo for that "payydaaayy".

Also, let me go back to Rogan - who does far and away the best numbers of anyone among the YOUNGER male demo. ESPN would suck dick to do the numbers Rogan's podcast does.

Rogan talks about boxing alllllllllll the time. He loves it! So the "bro community" gets exposed to a lot of boxing names, and they obviously know Canelo.

Rogan ain't talking no boring ass baseball...

This is not a debate. Tatis is not as big as Canelo in any nation. Well, probably in DR he's bigger, but that's it.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  3. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    He basically has 2 HOF careers, one pre-Balco and after Balco (going with the popular narrative of him using after the 98’ McGwire/Sosa homerun chase)

From 86-98, he hit 290/411/556 with 411 home runs, 445 SB, 3 MVPs, 164+ OPS. He led the NL in OB% 4 times, SLG 3 times, OPS 5 times, walks 5 times, WAR for position players 7 times. He was in the top 5 in the NL in all these categories every single year from 90-98.

From 99-07, he hit 316/505/712 with 351 home runs, 780 RBI, 214+ OPS, 4 MVPs. He led the NL in batting average 2 times, OB% 6 times, SLG and OPS 4 times, walks 7 times, and WAR 4 times.

A-Rod is also arguably the greatest shortstop ever, and Clemens arguably the greatest starting pitcher ever. Clemens also has 2 HOF careers in one, going from his days before and after Toronto (when he started using according to the Jeff Pearlman book).

Ortiz is more likable, so voters chose to believe the “gray area” when he had a failed drug test. He’s nowhere near as great as Bonds, A-Rod, or Clemens.

I get it voters’ view on PEDs is to keep them all out (even though the HOF is already filled with cheaters), but Ortiz used and got in first ballot while Bonds/Clemens/A-Rod are on the outside. Ridiculous.

4. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Where is Your Proof to the CONTRARY???:Dont:...

Sure, Canelo Drew 75k to Cowboys Stadium, But its Capacity is 105k, Just So You Know...Beyond That, Dallas is a City DENSELY Populated by Mexicans in a State That BORDERS Mexico...

What Non-Latino Celebs Tweet About Canelo Fights???...And Please Don't Mention Dame Dollar, Because he Tweets About EVERY Boxing Match, Practically...What Non-Latino Celebs are Regularly Sitting Front Row @ Canelo Fights???...Please ELABORATE...

Again, the Fact Canelo is OLDER and from a Country w/Roughly 12 Times the Population of Tatis Jr's Country, it SHOULDN'T Surprise You Canelo Has 12 Times as Many Social Media Followers...Do You Really Think the Vast Majority of Canelo Followers AREN'T Mexican???:duck:

You're Making REED's Point FOR Him; American's Have to PAY Just to SEE Canelo Perform and if They're LUCKY, His Highlights Will Make the Mainstream Sports Talk Circuit Afterwards...Whereas w/Tatis, His Games Can Be See for FREE and Highlights of EVERY SINGLE ONE Of His Home Runs and EVERY SINGLE Spectacular Defensive Play he Makes @ Shortstop, is Replayed Over and Over for American Audiences...

This is WHY Tatis Has Significantly More American Endorsements Than Canelo and Why His is a BIGGER Name w/Mainstream America....

REED:Dan1:

5. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

How 'Bout Posting YOUR Data, Because Literally, REED Doesn't Know a SINGLE Motherfucker that Watches Joe Rogan Podcasts???...Not 1...

You Readily Admit ESPN USED to Be a Staple of Mainstream American Males, But You Ain't PROVEN Shit Has Changed to the Degree You're Suggesting...Why, Because It HASN'T...

The Vast Majority of American Men REED Knows STARTS and ENDS Each Fucking Day w/ESPN Sports Programming...You're NOT Even Really a Sports Fan Beyond Boxing, So You're Coming from a PISS POOR Point of Reference on This One Bruh...

Haven't Watched Baseball in 20 Years, Yet Want to Talk Shit about a Guy That's 3 Years Deeeeeeeep Into His MLB Career???...

Yeah, OK....

REED:emoji_ok_hand:

6. Xplosive

Maybe this is a geographic thing. Cause it sounds like baseball might be bigger in Texas.

No one gives a flying fuck about it here. I know HISPANICS who don't really follow MLB anymore.

What I can tell you about living where I live is this - the Cowboys are Eagles are probably the two most popular teams here. The former isn't surprising... the Cowboys are the most famous team in America... win or lose.

That wasn't the case in the 80s and 90s. Not here, at least. The Mets were THE franchise here in the 80s, and the Yanks were THE franchise here in the 90s.

No one gives a damn about either anymore.

7. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Sorry, but Boxing is a NICHE Sport, Which Makes a Boxing Fight Watching Party What??? A NICHE Ass Concept...

The Average American Soccer Mom is CONSIDERABLY More Likely to Happen Upon a Fernando Tatis Jr. Commercial or ESPN Highlight Than She Is to Attend a Fucking Boxing Fight Watching Party...

You're REACHING Like Fuck Right Now...About a Sport You DON'T Watch and a Player You've NEVER Heard Of, Despite His OBVIOUS Appeal w/Mainstream American ENDORSERS...

Again, REED Doesn't Know a SINGLE (Not Even 1) Person That Listens to Joe Rogan...

You're Underestimating the REACH of ESPN, After Acknowledging it DID Exist...Yet in Your Efforts to Diminish ESPN's Current Impact, You Haven't PROVEN Shit...

Feel Free Though???...

REED:Dont:

8. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

So You're Telling REED the New York FUCKING Yankees Ain't RELEVANT in New York Anymore???...

You're Tripping Now Bruh!

REED:duck:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  9. Xplosive

Firstly, no that's not true. I follow WORLD football pretty heavily, and up until a few years ago I was still an NBA hardcore. So I guess because I dont follow MLB and NFL, I dont follow sports? Lol.

And sure, ill look into pulling that data tomorrow.

Rogan has FAR FAR higher ratings than anything on ESPN.

10. Xplosive

No longer relevant would be a stretch, but baseball in general in NYC is nowhere remotely close to what it once was.

Stop acting like I'm the only one sayin this shit. MLB is NOT in good shape.

They aint going bankrupt anytime soon or anything like that, but they've stagnated and can't develop megastars anymore.

11. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Seriously, What American Sports are in GOOD Shape Though, Per Se???:Dont:...

NFL Has No Competition, Whatsoever...NBA Turns a Yearly Profit (In Non-Covid Years), But is a DISTANT 2nd...The Other 2 "Mainstream" American Sports, Hockey and Baseball, are Admittedly MEH...

Baseball is its OWN Worst Enemy w/All the Unwritten Rules Against Celebrating/Showboating, PACE of the Game and Just an Overtly OLD SCHOOL Way of Thinking, in General...

But That's Part of Tatis Jr's APPEAL...Tall, Good Looking, Dred Locked, Bat Flipping Latino (Who Speaks English) and Can Legitimately PLAY...

You Mentioned Mike Trout Earlier; Phenomenal Player, But Straight Laced to the Point of Being BORING...Bryce Harper???...Good Player, But Kind of an Asshole...Shohei Ohtani and Vlad Guerrero Jr. Also Had BIG Seasons, But Neither of Them Speak a Lick of English...

This is Why Tatis Jr is the "IT" Guy in Baseball Right Now...The 1st Time You Heard His Name May Have Been in a Debate w/REED, But it Won't Be the LAST Time, Guaranteed...

12. Xplosive

I dont watch garbage ass ESPN anymore, which I'm sure explains why I haven't heard of him until now.

In the 90s, I was a Sportscenter junkie just like every other dude. But sports podcasts on YouTube have rendered ESPN shows obsolete.

13. Neil

Neil tueur de grenouilles

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    looks like the cba will get done and baseball will resume

14. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

2022 Baseball Questions...

1. Is Shohei Ohtani's Talent WASTED w/the Angels???...Once Again He's Making MLB Look Like Fucking LITTLE League Baseball, Showcasing His Hitting/Pitching Talent...The Most COMPLETE Baseball Player Since Babe Ruth...

Sadly, Ohtani May NEVER See the Light of Day in PLAYOFF Baseball as Looooooong as he's an Angel...

2. Will Aaron Judge Surpass the ACCEPTED/NON-PED ENHANCED Home Run Record (& NY Yankee Record) of 61???...He's Currently Sitting on 43 w/More Than 50 Games Remaining...

3. Does the Acquisition of Juan Soto Put the Padres OVER the Top or is it Inevitable the Dodgers Win the National League Pennant???...

15. Wiser 1878

Wiser 1878 Bridgerweight Champion

Management/Health Care
    01. I don't think so. If Trout can get back and stay healthy, they can continue to build around those two.

02. Yes.

03. No. I hate to say it but the Dodgers are too strong for them. Padres won't catch them.

16. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
  17. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Soooon as the Padres PAID Tatis, Jr., he Started Fucking Up...

REED Thinks Dude Took Something to Help HEAL from the Broken Wrist Injury Quicker; "Ringworms" is Bullshit...Either Way, Tatis, Jr. Needs to Get it TOGETHER...

He Could OWN MLB if He Gets OUT of His Own Way 1st...

18. TexMex

TexMex Fightbeat IQ Champ

19. Xplosive

I'm getting back into following MLB for the first time since 99.

There was a point in my life when baseball was tied with basketball for my 2nd favorite sport.

My spark for the NBA is dead, but the MLB spark is returning.

So, viva baseball!

20. TexMex

I'm with you in regards to the NBA, a few reasons it's all about chucking up 3's now.
    Also I'm not liking the play in. There were already to many playoff teams. The play in takes even less meaning into making the playoffs.

I've been on/off with MLB as well. I can't really follow the entire season, I'll keep my eye on it, but playoff baseball us where it's at.

21. Xplosive

NBA is fucking horrible now. It truly is.

The mid-to-late 2000s were incredible IMO. You had Bron, Kobe, and Wade all at the peak of their powers.

The level of excitement and intensity has regressed appreciably since those days.

I can't watch anymore. Nothing but a goddamn 3 point contest.

I don't like the divas like KD and Kyrie, and I don't like that brash lil prick Morant, who's far too cocky for a MF who ain't won shit yet.

TexMex likes this.
  22. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Melvin getting brutally out-coached

23. Xplosive

What's yalls thought of the pitch clock that's coming next year?

As a traditionalist, at first I thought it sounded shitty, but the more im reading up on it, I'm for it.

Pitchers have slowed up the game. I had no idea that batting average and stolen bases are at a putrid low, and games are now longer than ever.

Sounds like the pitch clock and the elimination of defensive shifts will turn the MLB back into a hitter's sport. It'll also lead to more stolen bases, and cut the duration of games back to around 2.5 hours, which I remember from following the sport in the 80s/90s, was about the standard game time then.

Now all baseball has to do is stop caring about PEDs. Be like the NBA and NFL, they don't give a fuck that guys are juicing in those leagues.

The homerun is good for the game. Let them roid, I say.

24. Neil

morant is incredible to watch

25. TexMex

The pitch clock is a good idea, some pitchers take way too damn long. There was a Yankee reliever last night that was slow as molasses. For the majority, they won't be effected.

Home runs good, stolen bases good. I'm all for that. The steroids thing, I'm on the fence about. Seems to me that they have a greater impact on the game. Fools like Steve Finley, hitting 50 homers is weird.

Xplosive likes this.
  26. TexMex

27. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Unlike Most, REED's Overall Sports Fandom Comes From his MOTHER, Not His Ol' Man...Ol' Man is Definitely Responsible for REED's Boxing Fandom & He Watched Football/Basketball Also, But Not as RELIGIOUSLY As REED's Mother Did...

If She Were Born About 40 Years Later, She'd Have No Doubt Pursued Sports BroadCasting Over Nursing...Anyways, Her Absolute FAVORITE Sport Has Always Been Baseball, So By Proxy Baseball Has ALWAYS Been in REED's Life to Some Degree...

Usually the St. Louis Cardinals, But the Texas Rangers Had a Couple World Series Appearances Also, a Few Years Back...Today, Guys Like Shohei Ohtani, Vlad Guerrero Jr., Freddy Freeman, Mookie Betts, Fernando Tatis, Jr. (When His Fucking HEAD is on Straight, That Is) Bryce Harper, etc., All Keep REED @ Least MILDLY Interested in Baseball...

Harper's an ASSHOLE, But In a Way REED LIKES For Whatever Reason:duck:...& REED Felt Bad for Harper When He Left the Washington Nationals in Free Agency & They Won the Following World Series WITHOUT His Ass...That HAD to Sting a Bit, So REED is Glad Harper's @ Least in a POSITION to Get One Himself...

28. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Ja, Giannis, Steph, Tray Young, Luka, Embiid When Healthy, Zion When Healthy...

Paolo Banchero's Looking Like He MIGHT Become Must-See TV Before Loooooooooong...X is Trippin'....

29. D MAN

D MAN "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Lol this Alvarado guy!!!

30. Neil

That was a fuckin moonshot