Ricardo Mayorga

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Hex-One, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Jake

Jake WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Seriously? Shane Mosley literally spent months begging for a Pacquiao fight.

Also, Torres did a lot more than rock Cotto in their fight. And that was actually the very fight I considered while hesitating to reply to Sly's earlier post. Of course I disagree with his claim/belief that Mayorga has much of a shot today, but it's not absurd to suggest that a prime Mayorga wouldn't at least have his moments against any version of Cotto.

2. Hex-One

Hex-One "Twinkle Toes" McJack

None of your business
    Damn thats a hell of a way to shit on anyone's career. Give the man some credit. Yes Vargas was shot but so was Mayorga. :scared:

3. Hex-One

Hex-One "Twinkle Toes" McJack

None of your business
    Agreed........:Thumbs:

4. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    "El knockdown no fue producto de un golpe"- Miguel Cotto.

True enough, you were pushed down, but pretty much everything else just before that was punch-related.

Miguelito had a good chin but was hurt repeatedly whilst still in his pre-Margarito days.

5. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    Cotto had already beaten mosley.

As for Torres, i admitted he rocked Cotto. Several Times. But even torrest is more technically sound that Mayorga and can take a better body shot. Mayorga has a glass rib.

Would you question Cotto's resolve based on the Corely fight-let alone the Torres fight?

6. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Who's career did i shit on? And varga was far more shot than mayorga. as you can see, vargas doesnt fight anymore, while mayorga is getting title shots and shit.

7. Jake

Home Page:
    Yes Cotto already beat Mosley - two years prior to the Pacquiao fight. Quite a bit happened in between that gap.

Anyway, you asked as if there were no other options. Mosley was regarded as the best welterweight in the world, even with the loss to Cotto taken into consideration. I never took much issue with Pac choosing Cotto over Shane - I was fine with him fighting either one, though would've preferred Shane since he was coming off of a career-best performance.

The rest of your post isn't worth arguing if you honestly believe Torres boasted greater punch resistance than Mayorga.

8. Anthony

Motherfucker
    So your definition of Cherry Picked is Cotto over Mosley? Both were good opponents. My definition of Cherry picked is he picked the lesser opponent over a handful of much better opponents. Do you disagree?

You think Mayorga has better punch resistance than Torres? Torres has two loses. 1 by miguel and the other by Holt's head. Mayorga has been knocked out 3 times.

Torres has more wins, less losses in total, let alone less losses by KO.

I just think Mayorga really cant take shots to the body that well. And a pure body puncher like Cotto would have exposed that much quicker than those that he has fought, with the exception of Mosley who would have shredded Mayorga's body early in his career.

9. Neil

Neil tueur de grenouilles

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    mayorga was a rock at welterweight. he wouldve posed a big test for mosley or cotto there.

10. royyjonesjrp4pno1

royyjonesjrp4pno1 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Vargas is no less shot than Margarito but your boy Pac gets a lot of credit from you for that fight.

11. Jake

Home Page:
    I didn't say he cherry picked - in fact, my exact quote is that I was fine with either opponent. But there's no disputing that Shane represented the greater threat at the time.

Shane was viewed as the better fight (based on his career-best win over Margarito), the bigger risk, and the easier fight to secure. Yet Pac's handlers went out of their way to seek out Cotto, who was viewed as being on the decline (based on the Margarito loss and his looking like crap against Clottey), the lesser risk, and a bear during negotiations (as was Pac).

So, it's no stretch to understand why some accuse Pac's handlers of avoiding a fight with Shane. You can play semantics with the terminology used, but that doesn't change the perception.

You're getting more absurd with your points regarding Torres. For the sake of entertaining you...

Torres has been dropped more times and against largely inferior opposition. Even today's version of Mayorga wouldn't allow himself to get dropped by a fighter on the level of Mike Arnaoutis, who fought like a complete pussy against Torres yet still dropped and arguably beat him.

Most of the damage suffered in Mayorga's career came past-prime and outside of his most effective weight class. Torres was arguably still in his prime and his true weight class when he quit more than a year ago.

So yeah, I most certainly believe that the not-shot version of Mayorga boasted much greater punch resistance than Torres.

12. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I thought Mayorga clearly beat Forrest in the rematch.

I also thought Mayorga beat Spinks, but I saw that fight live and not too close. Most of the people in the similar seats thought Mayorga deserved it, though.

Mayorga is a dangerous fighter who is a notch below really good fighters. I'd say he's like Iran Barkley.

13. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

An active boxer is as shot as a retired one now? Is there nothing you won't say to denigrate Pac?

14. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I was just checking, because you highlighted my cherry picked comment and asked if i was serious.

As for Torres & Mayorga, its just a disagreement man. No need to for insults or acts of superiority. I just disagree with you. I dont see how someone who was weak to the body would do well against someone who was known as one of, if not the best body puncher in the sport. You, nor anyone else in this forum has not even addressed this specific point, which is valid.

The whole mayorga fight with Tito, Tito was head hunting. He landed ONE punch to the body and mayorga began wilting. From there it was all she wrote. While i dont doubt if Tito continued head hunting he would have KOed Mayorga later on, the body punches ended the fight earlier. And there were probably less than 10 of them.

15. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Jesus :tick:

16. Neil

did trinidad fight mayorga at welterweight?

17. Jake

Home Page:
    Apologies if that's how I'm coming across. I just don't get your argument, and you're turning to that version of Mayorga only furthers my point.

There's no proof that the welterweight version of Mayorga is as fragile as you suggest, whereas there is definitive proof that Torres - in his prime and optimal weight class - was far from granite chinned.

Here's how I look at it - switch their resumes and tell me who winds up with the better career and looking like the tougher fighter. Mayorga has never been hurt, much less dropped, against guys on the level of Holt (a decent hitter) and especially Arnaoutis.

I can't say the same of Torres had he fought the 140 lb. version of the fighters Mayorga faced during and past his prime.

18. Jake

Home Page:
    Also, the part I was highlighting (and even twice clarified) was your questioning who else there was at the time for Pacquiao to have fought.

19. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

:giggle: you can't be serious..

20. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Well you could have made you point without highlighting the cherry picked portion. But its cool.

21. Neil

:boohoo:

22. Anthony

Motherfucker
    There is no proof that mayorga wasnt that fragile. He wasnt hit much to the body by forrest or Spinks. And again, Mayorga's only good win was against Forrest.

That being said, i dont see Mayorga beating Holt and If Holt landed to that body, i think Mayorga gets hurt.

Lets even look at Mayorga's comp outside of the elites he has fought. Outside of the elites, who has he fought that you think could beat Holt? I think its fair to say Holt beats Mayorga.

23. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

You need to stop.....Mayorga would/could turn Holt around like sock...

24. Jake

Home Page:
    I'm really confused. Are you considering Vernon Forrest an elite fighter? Or are you saying that he wasn't as good as Kendall Holt?

25. Jake

Home Page:
    Sorry bro, but you're all alone on this one. Vargas was beyond shot when he fought Mayorga. In fact, I'd pick Margarito of today to have trumped Mayorga's performance and have beaten every ounce of fat out of Vargas that night.

26. V10

V10 Undisputed Champion

Mayorga doesn't deserve this thread just like he doesn't deserve the last 4-5 big fights he has had.

27. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I think Forrest was Elite. But i also think Forrest fought a stupid fight. If Forrest wasnt such a hot head, he would have beaten mayorga.

28. Neil

this chap fredo dont know much about boxing

29. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

30. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Corley let him off the hook. Cotto was in desperate trouble but Corley decided to dance and throw the occasional body shot instead of putting him away.

Very definition of resolve, my ass!