Roy Jones Jr or Sugar Ray Leonard

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Ugotabe Kidding, Oct 24, 2009.

?

Who was the better prime for prime

1. Sugar

65.0%
  2. Jones

35.0%
  1. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

DeJesus Gets PROPS for Beating Duran but Take Duran OFF of his Resume & Take Roy OFF of Tarver's & Tarver had a BETTER Career...

REED:hammert:

2. Double L

Double L Book Reader

first of all, what does it prove by taking the best wins of each fighter off his resume?

secondly, how do you figure Tarver had the better career. for one thing he has half as many fights.

if anything, someone claiming that Tarver was better would want to dwell as much as possible on the RJJ victories. afterall, what the hell else did Tarver do?

3. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

I've never seen anyone type any of these points.

John Ruiz was a good HW. Nothing more. Certainly not great or all time p4p (you made that up.)

4. Pascals Wager

Pascals Wager Undisputed Champion

Surprised that it's only 2 to 1

5. D.C. Pizza Master

D.C. Pizza Master Undisputed Champion

Head Pizza Chef and Manager
    Roy does have the speed advantage but Sugar delivered his punches with better technique...certainly is more well rounded then roy...advantage Sugar IMO at middleweight and on a P4P level...BUT....at 168 I think Roy takes Sugar out..Roy at 168 was GREAT

6. uppercutz1

uppercutz1 Leap-Amateur

Lotta Ray cheerleaders here, but the (unpopular) truth is Roy only slowed down at age 35....but funny thing is he would've smoked Ray at any point of their careers -> prime vs prime, post prime vs post prime, etc.

Hell Roy bitch slapped Ray around when he was only an olympic teen and Ray was 32 in the infamous sparring session where Ray likes to tell people he only remembers having a few beers and "realizing that the kid was damn fast". Could you ever imagine an olympic prospect taking it to a 32 yr old Roy?

To me Jones ranks higher than Leonard....the slant on accomplsihment(s) comparisons I'm reading here are bullshit so don't get me started.

7. jaws1216

jaws1216 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    you sound really well educated and objective

8. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

While REED WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREES w/the Head-to-Head Aspect of Roy vs. Sugar Ray, the FAIREST Way to Compare Fighters from Different Eras is by ACCOMPLISHMENTS & RESUME...

In Terms of Accomplishments, Leonard Won Titles from 147-175...5 Titles (Though Winning 2 of them in 1 Bout is VERY DUBIOUS)....Roy Won Titles from 160-175 & Heavy...4 Titles w/the POTENTIAL to Get a LEGIT Crusierweight Belt Somewhere Down the Line...Basically, Accomplishments R a WASH btwn the 2...

Which Leads Us to RESUME...It PAINS REED to Admit it, but Leonard's Resume is MUCH Better than Roy's, in FEWER Fights...Benitez, Duran (3x), Hearns (2x), Hagler, Norris, Lalonde, Kalule...Roy has Quite a Few B-Level Names but THE CLOSEST he can Come to Benitez-Duran-Hearns-Hagler 4-Some is Bernard & Toney...

Edge: Sugar Ray...

9. uppercutz1

uppercutz1 Leap-Amateur

In my opinion I believe resume carries less weight when comparing fighters from different eras because one can only speculate as to how Roy would've fared against Hearns or Leonard against Hopkins. That's why I say look at how they performed relative to their respective eras. Yes, both fighters didn't necessarily A) fight every single contemporary and/or B) fight them at their absolute best, so ultimately I feel you have to look at overall story (skills, talent, accomplishments, resume in context of their repsective eras, objective mythical head-to-head matchup analysis, etc) when making fair comparisons.

The poll question asked who was better prime for prime.....to me it's Roy Jones Jr. I'll listen to opposing aguments but I completely disagree with anyone's notion that it's a landslide in favor of Ray.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  10. uppercutz1

uppercutz1 Leap-Amateur

Intelligence is a general mental capability that involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend ideas and language, and learn. Would you like me to teach you?

All jokes aside buddy, I'm not here to drum up enemies but I would prefer you that you refrain from flicking personal insults....it'll make for a much more interesting discussion, would you agree?

11. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Ignore Jaws...He has a "PERPETUAL ASSHOLE" Gene in his Body....

12. jaws1216

jaws1216 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    In this thread, you have made one of the dumbest fucking posts I've ever read. I'm glad webster.com gave you that fancy definition, there is nothing interesting about arguing with an idiot. And thats not an insult, it is a hypothesis based on evidence.

Just for future reference, when REED disagrees with you about Roy Jones nuthugging, you've clearly said something unintelligent.

13. uppercutz1

uppercutz1 Leap-Amateur

Like I said.......

14. Marvelous1

Marvelous1 Scrub

I guess if we were talking about who'd win in a fight head to head, yeah, I'd take the 168lber over the 147lber too. And if competition doesn't matter, then again, Yeah, Roy looked better but using that criteria I'd guess you'd have Calzaghe over Jones because he did have a better record and he did beat him handily when both were past prime.

15. uppercutz1

uppercutz1 Leap-Amateur

I don't think you can compare Joe's career accomplishments to Roy's and I'd pick Roy over Joe in a prime vs prime matchup. The post prime comparison with Ray was simply to put stamp on my feeling that Roy was ahead of Ray at any point in their respective careers.

At end of day, they are both all-time legends. Some think Roy was better and some feel Ray was better....so be it.

16. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

Nice to see some newer posters contributing here. Welcome to Fightbeat guys, hope you stay around.

17. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    :lol: