The "Unlike the other retards, I actually watched the fight and saw Floyd win clearly

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by jaws1216, May 6, 2007.

1. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I had it De la Hoya 5-3 with one round even going into Rd10, on workrate and aggression.
    Rds 10-12, I gave to Mayweather easy. Even in my half-drunk, semi-sleep state I had it:
    Mayweather 115 De la Hoya 114

No questions from me - even though I felt Mayweather should've pressed the action more cos when he did, he had De la Hoya in trouble (i.e. Rd5) - why didnt he go more offensive? :dunno:

Anyway, I wouldnt wanna see these two fight again - I'd like to see Mayweather - Mosley or maybe even Mayweather - Cotto?

2. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

8-4 score for Mayweather. Clear win. Oscar had some moments but there was really nothing of consequence he landed.

3. PetreTG

PetreTG WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    The only thing Floyd won was the war against Oscar's gloves.

This is ridiculous.

And he did NOTHING to justify taking Oscar's belt.

:shit:

4. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Come on, Petre. I know that there are alot of fights where arguments can be made but there is none here. The decision for Floyd was deserved.

The judge who had it for Oscar is an imposter. IMO, he definitely needs to be checked out because that was a blatante attempt to rob Mayweather.

5. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I never had the feeling of 'fucking robbery again', like I have done in many other fights - even though I was rooting for De la Hoya and predicted him to win late, I still see Mayweather winning last night's fight.

6. adamiw

adamiw Undisputed Champion

7-4-1 even to Mayweather.....i really wanted to give this fight too Oscar but the odd flurry here and there in the later rounds weren't enough. As the fight went on Floyd found the target more and more (DLH's defence was pretty tight in the 1st half) and DLH's punches were finding their target less and less...and the volume wasn't high enough to make up for it.

Watched the fight on SKY where Jim Watt gave it to Floyd by 1 and i struggled to see how he could be any more generous to DLH

7. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

I thought Mayweather clearly won. I scored it 7-5, but 8-4 is not unreasonable.

"However" (Copywright Father of Muzse, 2007)

I can understand scoring it for De La Hoya...and I don't see the "split" decision as a controversy.

A few rounds were close and difficult to score (round 3 for example)

8. Der Tiger

Der Tiger Leap-Amateur

For real...I mostly agree with Musze's take, Mayweather landed very little cleanly up until the last third of the fight...However, to me, it was oscar's stamina again which let him down, from 8-9 onwards he got a little ragged, his D wasn't as tight as earlier and his flurries got wider, he showed less and less offensively...

Mayweather did enough, but he looked a bit one-dimensionally in there at times against the bigger opponent, I would be confident he would not enjoy the ame success against other 154IBers...as for whoever said he could beat anyone at 175 downwards, lay off the crack, seriously...

9. boxingnotboxers

boxingnotboxers WBC Champion

Fightbeat's Corrupt Ringside Physician
    Home Page:
    DLH was posing for minutes at a time and letting Floyd potshot while PBF let DLH flurry and snap his head back with a jab. That's what this fight came down to. Anyone else see something different, REGARDLESS of how you scored it?

10. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

Your sig is hilarious!! :laughing:

11. Father of Muzse

Father of Muzse Undisputed Champion

I had to laugh at Steven A. Smith (who I hate) when he got into it with Brian Kenny over the score of the fight.

Brian Kenny had it even, while Smith went on about how clearly Floyd won and yet he scored it for Floyd 6-4-2.

Kenny pointed out that Smith's card could have very well ended up a draw if those two rounds went to Oscar, but Smith acted as though Kenny was completely offbase.

:lol:

I'm SOOOO glad his show got canned. :bears:

12. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Why do they even have him up there? Stephen A. doesnt know jack shit about the sport of boxing!

13. StingerKarl

StingerKarl Ace Degenerate

I scored 9 rounds to 3 for Mayweather.

14. dsimon3387

dsimon3387 WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

dsimon writes:

Put me down

15. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

Floyd won clearly and this fight will not be considered controversial next week.

16. who?

who? Undisputed Champion

this is without doubt the best and most honest post i've read on this whole fight.

the biggest problem i have is that while it can be argued that either guy won, floyd didn't deserve anything for his pure lack of aggression, he's so scared to get hit, at least dlh was pushing forward, thats not to say that he won the fight though.

incidentally, jim watt, on british coverage had it by one round to floyd and i think thats about right. the guy knows how to score fights.

17. ElTerriblee

ElTerriblee "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Did you see Boxrec? They are split on who won the fight, confirming my opinion about british posters being the worst judges in all of boxing.

18. dsimon3387

dsimon3387 WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

dsimon writes:

Come on Rydell... we finally get the kid focused, his vitrole put towards a good cause and you want to shut him down? :lol:

19. Rubio MHS

Rubio MHS Undisputed Champion

I was in a bar full of Mexicans celebrating Cinco de Mayo, and I thought Mayweather won easily. In fact, the room was rather sedate. People complained about the decision, but they understood what happened.

De la Hoya threw the same fluries he did against Hopkins, except Mayweather blocked most of the punches. Pay attention to the defensive moves he did in that fight; they were brilliant.

20. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    I am on it. Floyd made Oscar de la Zombie look stupid. I thought it would be an SD for DLH but the judges were on crack. Oscar looked about as Fluid as Joe Louis after a car accident.

21. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    Meh, you know me, Dsimes. I banter, yuk about, and put in enough truth to get one to think twice. I thought Floyd would win 10 of 12 going in, but I didn't see it last night. I thought Floyd might have won 7-5, but long stretches of the fight were spent, by him, going backwards. I think the Compubox guy was drunk as well. A few of those rounds could have gone the other way, and that would show DLH winning.

I was positive that Floyd was going to dominate him pillar to post, but it didn't happen. It was a bit aggravating because I think Floyd could have thrown a heck of a lot more and he'd have cemented the deal. That was not topshelf Floyd! Floyd could have thrown three times as much, and I guess it just looks unappealing to watch a guy spend so much time going backwards.

I guess he wanted a low-risk approach, but if he had stayed in the pocket more, he could easily have erased any doubts. Safety-first with pitty-pat punches against a part-time boxer/full-time promoter seems rather effeminate to me.

He talks of being the best ever: a Ray Robinson or an Ali. He didn't show that. Neither of those fighters moved backwards for the majority of their supposed defining bouts.

22. Barristan

Barristan Undisputed Champion

9 - 3 Floyd....The smartest fighter of all time. :bears:

23. winner by choke

winner by choke Undisputed Champion

where i watched it we were pretty much all rooting for de la hoya and nobody thought he won...besides rounds 2,6,7 and maybe 12 i could find possibly one round to give to oscar...NO way oscar won the fight.

24. ?H?L?QU?L?$

?H?L?QU?L?$ Leap-Amateur

9-3 Mayweather.

25. ?H?L?QU?L?$

?H?L?QU?L?$ Leap-Amateur

I saw it at a mexican bar... nobody complained, everyone knew Floyd won.

26. toomuchsol

toomuchsol Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    Yeah, at my party there were like 40 people going for De La Hoya and 4(myself included) going for Mayweather.

Everyone there knew that mayweather won. They were all really quiet in the later rounds because they knew that Floyd had won.

27. Rubio MHS

It's really only the idiots who went on and on about how they knew De la Hoya was going to win that are complaining about the decision. The only people complaining about the scores are the people who are too pig-headed to imagine themselves being wrong, at least the dumbass ones who picked Oscar.

28. Matchup_Analyzer

Matchup_Analyzer Keyboard Warrior

I had Mayweather schooling DLH 8 rounds to 4

I don't think it could be a draw let alone a split decision win, that judge Kazmarek was a tool :nono:

29. Donnybrook

Donnybrook The Greatest of Are Times

Count me in.

I've scored it twice...first time I had it 9-3, second was 8-4, both for Mayweather.

The BEST I can see is 7-5 PBF.

I absolutely cannot see DLH winning 7 rounds, period.

The "firmest" argument I've seen from those who think DLH won the fight is..."rounds 2,4,7 & 12 were DLH's, and rounds 3, 6, & 8 COULD have gone his way."

That's not much of an argument to establish how DLH won the fight.

He didn't.

And I think it was pretty clear that Mayweather won the 12th.

Was it an impressive fight? No.

Did PBF beat up DLH and make it a one-sided fight? No.

But I didn't think he would....I DID think that he would win more rounds, however close or competitive they were - one man still wins them.

DLH showed a very good parry defense, moved his hands well when he did move them, and showed an occasional good, stiff jab (which he should have used to more effect...but as per what happened, I didn't think he would). He also did try to go consistently to the body. He put up a good fight.

That being said, PBF also parried masterfully as well as slipping shots...and you have to watch PBF closely because he will use minute head movement to avoid shots and jabs that make it look like he's getting hit....when he's not.

PBF landed the cleaner, more flush shots in the majority of rounds. That's it.

Peace.

30. Rubio MHS

When I rewatched the fight, I simply looked for rounds that you could give to De la Hoya, and only found three.