The "Unlike the other retards, I actually watched the fight and saw Floyd win clearly

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by jaws1216, May 6, 2007.

1. Rubio MHS

Rubio MHS Undisputed Champion

I usually don't post in Boxrec's Current Scene section, but I had to laugh at this topic:

http://www.boxrec.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62600

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  2. Mitchell Kane

Mitchell Kane WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

3. Rubio MHS

Or, as someone mentioned in the thread, Andrew Golota.

4. ElTerriblee

ElTerriblee "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I watched it again. I didn´t give Oscar enough credit and dismissed his flurries and jabs a bit too harshly, he also blocked more shots early, but after round seven it was Floyd´s fight all the way and he also won the 12th round imho, where Oscar punctuated his career by trying to steal another round in the last ten seconds. I didn´t even find the fight to difficult to score on second attempt. Still no doubt in my mind, who won the fight.

Anyway 116-112 PBF

10-9 Mayweather
    9-10 De La Hoya
    9-10 De La Hoya
    9-10 De La Hoya
    10-9 Mayweather
    10-9 Mayweather
    9-10 De La Hoya
    10-9 Mayweather
    10-9 Mayweather
    10-9 Mayweather
    10-9 Mayweather
    10-9 Mayweather

5. jaws1216

jaws1216 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    agree with this card upon second watch as well, although I gave Floyd round 3

6. dsimon3387

dsimon3387 WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

dsimon writes:

I want to comment on some interesting things I have noticed about Floyd and how it relates to your post. His actual handspeed is good, not great. His chin is underrated and his power is abysmal. His technical ability is what does the job for him. He is a natural in this respect, the culmination of Roger's slick patina and a whole lot of of good coaching.

My point is that Floyd does not have the natural physical ability of Robinson or Ali. He doesn't, from what I have seen, have an overdrive gear like Jones did; a mode where Jones could simply overpower with pure speed. Unlike Jones Floyd has to hang in there and catch the guy off the shoulder roll with a counter punch.

So what you saw last night is IMO what Mayweather can do. Which is to throw accurate, untelegraphed punches sporadically and to counter to death any guy, like De La Hoya, who wants to loop punches. I don't thin Floyd has the natural physical ability to dominate a guy like Oscar... frankly that is why I love to watch him fight. I find it absurd that Floyd does not even use a jab to keep guys off of him, his footwork is that good. :lol:

Compubox is garbage, I hear you loud and clear. But I just don't think Floyd has the physical ability people think he does. If he tried to fight like Jones... much less Ali or RR he would get smoked because his style doesn't allow for a a jab to keep the guy off and because he is accurate but just does not have power. Besides Oscar fought well.

Floyd does not appeal to guys like you and Mex who probably prefer the Duran's and Hearns of the world. I can understand this. My favorite fighter was slappsy maxi rosenbloom (just kidding but he was a riot). But if you think the fight was close I respect your opinion enough to consider it. I am actually going to watch this one again... something I usually don't.

7. dsimon3387

dsimon3387 WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

dsimon writes:

Floyd has foibles but you are deluded. He is afraid to get hit yet does not have a jab to speak of to keep guys off of him and sets up his counters so that the guy almost tags him in every exchange. The truth is Floyd to be succesful steps off a little bit on his opponents and in virtually every slo mo replay where it is thought his opponent tags him he is just past the punch, countering the guy in the process.

You can't fight like that if you are afraid to get hit. Jones was afraid to get hit... not floyd.

8. Rubio MHS

Floyd Mayweather has an excellent jab. In the beginning of the fight, he used it to score from far outside while he got a feel for what Oscar could and couldn't do. By the third round, he was comfortable enough with his speed advantage that he began throwing power punches as leads. This is what he's been doing since the Genaro Hernandez fight in 1998. Against Angel Manfreddy two months later, he already knew that he could outspeed him, so he went into his routine of countering the jab with an overhand right.

You know why Oscar wasn't using his jab? Because he didn't like eating those overhand rights Floyd was countering with. People might kid about Mayweather's power, but it made Oscar change his whole gameplan. Without the power in those overhand rights, Oscar simply would have jabbed away all night long, and won a decision.

9. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Yep...

FEAR of the Pull Counter...

It's NOT Like DeLa just FORGOT to Jab or Something;he DIDN'T Want to Pay the PRICE for Jabbing...

REED:cool:

10. Andrew

Andrew "Twinkle Toes" McJack

8-4 or 9-3 PBF, depends whether I give DLH the 12th.

11. StingerKarl

StingerKarl Ace Degenerate

Great observation.

12. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Mayweather won.

Oscar fought well and was competitive with the younger guy, so he deserves credit. He looked better than many thought and put up a very good defensive performance, parrying a lot of shots. Still, Floyd landed the cleaner shots.

13. Double L

Double L Book Reader

yes! a lot of people framed the fight as a mismatch going in. most conceded that it would be close, but just answering your question - there were several who expected a mismatch. and many actually predicted ODH would be knocked out.

14. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Bull-shit. PBF didn't throw one "pull-counter" the whole fight. And if he had, it wouldn't have landed. He can only pull that off against guys like Jesus Chavez.

15. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

How did you score the fight Double?

16. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    I disagree.

Well, it was a great DEFENSIVE fight from Mayweather. His offense wasn't impressive, as many of his shots were parried from Oscar. It wasn't the type of "career-defining" performance that Mayweather would like to claim it is.

The fact that Oscar is bigger than Floyd and Floyd was making his 154 lb debut helps though, as we've seen what can happen when you move up too much and you don't really belong there. That makes up for some of the fact that De La Hoya is an aging fighter, but Mayweather is going to have to do more to really stand out as the greatest fighter of this era.

Otherwise, he's simply one of the greats of this period.

17. IMDAZED

IMDAZED Undisputed Champion

Agreed. Mayweather hasn't quite accomplished what Hopkins & Jones did.

18. jarhead

jarhead Undisputed Champion

Operations Manager
    he's a great fighter no doubt. But he is not beloved by fans and no one wants to watch him.

19. royyjonesjrp4pno1

royyjonesjrp4pno1 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

If nobody wants to watch him then howcome all them people were in Vegas to see it. I know Oscar was there but it takes 2. There wasn't 50,000 people watching closed circuit when De la fought Sturm or Campas.

20. jarhead

jarhead Undisputed Champion

Operations Manager
    How many people watched Floyd fight Baldomir? I know Oscar/Campas beat it that is for sure.

21. Mitchell Kane

Mitchell Kane WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

At the start of the fight or by the end of it?

22. royyjonesjrp4pno1

Sure. All im saying is Oscar is a big star but he still needs a star on the other side of the ring to get real big numbers.

23. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

Exactly, it take TWO to make a big fight. Leonard was a HUGE star (bigger than Oscar) but I don't recall Leonard-Norris being a big fight.

24. Son of Payton

Son of Payton Banned

Home Page:
    For the record, I was rooting hard for Oscar (well...more against Floyd than for Oscar) and even with clouded judgment I still had it 7-5 Mayweather.

25. IMDAZED

IMDAZED Undisputed Champion

Yeah, I'm a little surprised by the controversy. It was nap and tuck through the first nine but, even then, I had Mayweather slightly ahead. From round ten going he pretty much dominated.

26. Father of Muzse

Father of Muzse Undisputed Champion

The Mayorga fight did over 950,000 buys...that's on the same level as the Mosley rematch and the Vargas fight.

27. royyjonesjrp4pno1

Mayorga is a star. He is a great shit talker and he is very entertaining in the ring.

Everybody knew Vargas and Shane too. Theres no way you can compare their popularity or fighting skills to Campas and Sturm.

28. Baron

Baron "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    My feeling exactly. I had it 115-113. I admit I was rooting for DLH and might have been a bit drunk too. My feeling was that it was going to be a 10-2 type UD for Mayweather, DLH did way better than I thought he would.

29. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Agreed. I thought both guys deserve credit. Oscar for doing far better than most thought he would and Floyd for winning the fight.

30. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Any of you guys saw when Oscar was landing to Floyd's shoulder??? I said: "On fuck, Oscar knows, floyd will lose" but then Oscar simply abandoned the strategy. I immediately thought of the Cotto-Branco fight. I think it's legal to punch your opponent's arm. If DLH had sticked to beating floyd's shoulder, he would've had a good chance.